Author Topic: The Price is Right: The Barker Era on Pluto TV  (Read 362239 times)

Offline NickintheATL

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • TV Button Pusher
    • nicholasmooneyhan.com
Re: The Price is Right: The Barker Era on Pluto TV
« Reply #600 on: December 16, 2020, 12:39:43 AM »
Sidenote, maybe this was asked before, but why were there no Christmas shows in 1997? Kinda peculiar.

No, it wasn't peculiar. Quite often during the 80s and 90s they would rerun the previous season's Xmas shows instead of tape new ones. It probably saved money on the set budget that season.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #601 on: December 16, 2020, 01:30:19 AM »
No, it wasn't peculiar. Quite often during the 80s and 90s they would rerun the previous season's Xmas shows instead of tape new ones. It probably saved money on the set budget that season.

Touche, didn't realize just how common it was till looking at FAQ, from the post previous thought it was an anomaly more.

This does beg an interesting question though. In 1985...say Johnny didn't die, would they have still done a Christmas week do you think? I noticed there wasn't one, and I suspect that was much of why which would make sense.

Offline wpghi5

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #602 on: December 16, 2020, 04:25:32 AM »
Also, they were all won playing Race Game at least once on April 9, 1982. 

That happened 1 day after I was born! Lol!  :-D

Offline MrPlinko

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #603 on: December 16, 2020, 08:42:11 AM »
Yes!

Beautiful transfers of the taps to Pluto TV. Amazing quality!  How many episodes a day are they doing that are not rerun? We seem to be getting almost everything unedited with the exception of the following:

1.) No ticket plugs
2.) Years edited out of car descriptions.
3.) No original "Pick a Pair" carousel music. What was the name of that theme?  I loved that music! Kind of disappointed that it was removed. Is this right? Or was the music added later?

Joe

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #604 on: December 16, 2020, 08:48:10 AM »
I’m not saying I know this, but it doesn’t make sense to me to pluck “1982” out of the car descriptions but leave all other references to the time period in place.  I mean we know it’s the 11th season because Bob has said so multiple times in the episodes we watched, and at least as far as I can tell, there isn’t a noticeable jump in the music or whatever during the car plug.

Isn’t it possible/likely that the car plug just didn’t include the year unless it was necessary?

Offline name456

• In the Audience
« Reply #605 on: December 16, 2020, 08:56:53 AM »
I believe the model year of the cars were not stated by 1982. I believe that ended in the late 70s. All of this talk makes me wish I didn’t tape over the shows after they originally aired (blank tape was expensive back then!)

Online SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #606 on: December 16, 2020, 09:39:13 AM »

3.) No original "Pick a Pair" carousel music. What was the name of that theme?  I loved that music! Kind of disappointed that it was removed. Is this right? Or was the music added later?

The music was added later, around the time the colors were updated
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #607 on: December 16, 2020, 10:22:27 AM »

And all these years I thought they simply taped the next year's Christmas shows the year prior. (Ergo, the shows that aired Christmas week 1990 were taped in December 1989, rather than September or October 1990.)

Brian

Online SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #608 on: December 16, 2020, 02:06:57 PM »
Touche, didn't realize just how common it was till looking at FAQ, from the post previous thought it was an anomaly more.

This does beg an interesting question though. In 1985...say Johnny didn't die, would they have still done a Christmas week do you think? I noticed there wasn't one, and I suspect that was much of why which would make sense.

If I had to bet, I think they do.  Though if Rod had been hired right away (or if they just had Gene succeed Johnny) I think they would've done a Christmas Week.  Probably wasn't ideal during the audition process that started (airing) over a week before Christmas

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #609 on: December 16, 2020, 06:21:42 PM »

If I had to bet, I think they do.  Though if Rod had been hired right away (or if they just had Gene succeed Johnny) I think they would've done a Christmas Week.  Probably wasn't ideal during the audition process that started (airing) over a week before Christmas

I'm not sure if that woulda been the reason as much as them grieving Johnny's loss, to where they woulda not felt in the Christmas spirit enough to wanna do a series of shows like that so soon after his passing. That'd be my assumption anyway, but that may be wrong.

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #610 on: December 16, 2020, 09:45:21 PM »
The music was added [to Pick a Pair] later, around the time the colors were updated
The music was added at some point in between the recording of the December 21, 1984 episode and the end of the March 1985 tapings (as it can be heard in very early Tom Kennedy-hosted episodes).

The orange-to-blue changes occurred at some point in 1985, while Johnny was announcing. The orange set was seen at least twice on the Kennedy series.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 09:52:48 PM by GuyWithFace »
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #611 on: December 16, 2020, 09:54:51 PM »
The music was added at some point in between the recording of the December 21, 1984 episode and the end of the March 1985 tapings (as it can be heard in very early Tom Kennedy-hosted episodes).

The orange-to-blue changes occurred at some point in 1985, while Johnny was announcing. The orange set was seen at least twice on the Kennedy series.

I wonder if they added it in just as the Nighttime series began, just because of it. I could see that.

Online SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #612 on: December 17, 2020, 01:36:00 AM »
I'm not sure if that woulda been the reason as much as them grieving Johnny's loss, to where they woulda not felt in the Christmas spirit enough to wanna do a series of shows like that so soon after his passing. That'd be my assumption anyway, but that may be wrong.

You're right.  I doubt they would have done a full week of Christmas shows even with Rod.  Based on the schedule it would've been way too soon for any specials.

On a related note, as far as information related to Christmas shows, that was my fault.  I posted the years in which they would have done those.  As mentioned by Nicholas, it was common to use past seasons during when they could've had first-run Christmas episodes.  I knew from memory that they (pretty much) did nothing in Season 26.  Per the FAQ, the last show was right in the middle of the month.  In fact, in Season 27 they ended up rerunning Christmas stuff from Season 25!  Speaking of the FAQ:

Thank you.  I never recalled hearing it with Tom Kennedy.  Now that I think of it, it's for real!  I probably tuned it out, and that was somewhat due to the fact that Kennedy's version did several things different than the real version, specifically different think music.  While timeline didn't mention when the think music was added, the FAQ clearly stated that it preceded the blue color scheme.

I wonder if they added it in just as the Nighttime series began, just because of it. I could see that.

Pricefan, that is a possibility.  Of course the mid 80s featured a ton of changes, at least a half-dozen made during the time nighttime PIR taped/aired.  Speaking of which, I wonder if GuyWithFace or someone else knows when the CBS curtains were changed from brown to maroon.  That was definitely done while Johnny was announcing but I can't pinpoint the exact date (between late 1984 and likely early 1985)

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #613 on: December 17, 2020, 02:24:16 AM »
Pricefan, that is a possibility.  Of course the mid 80s featured a ton of changes, at least a half-dozen made during the time nighttime PIR taped/aired.  Speaking of which, I wonder if GuyWithFace or someone else knows when the CBS curtains were changed from brown to maroon.  That was definitely done while Johnny was announcing but I can't pinpoint the exact date (between late 1984 and likely early 1985)

Speaking of changes......what prompted the Purple border around CR before and into Tom's run for a bit? Anyone know?

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #614 on: December 17, 2020, 02:40:50 AM »
Kennedy's version did several things different than the real daytime version
FTFY.