Author Topic: The Price is Right: The Barker Era on Pluto TV  (Read 356495 times)

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
Re: The Price is Right: The Barker Era on Pluto TV
« Reply #615 on: December 17, 2020, 03:14:41 AM »
Of course the mid 80s featured a ton of changes, at least a half-dozen made during the time nighttime PIR taped/aired.
At least eight Pricing Games that were played on the Kennedy series were physically altered in some form or fashion while that version was in production -- Danger Price, Golden Road, Grocery Game, Most Expensive, Pick a Pair, Range Game, Safe Crackers, and Switcheroo. Another, Grand Game, received its "Ten Thousand" and "Ten Thousand Dollars" graphics during this period.

Speaking of which, I wonder if GuyWithFace [...] knows when the CBS curtains were changed from brown to maroon. That was definitely done while Johnny was announcing but I can't pinpoint the exact date (between late 1984 and likely early 1985)
I do not know that, sorry.
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Online SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #616 on: December 17, 2020, 08:00:23 AM »
Speaking of changes......what prompted the Purple border around CR before and into Tom's run for a bit? Anyone know?

Not exactly sure; I guess the staff was going for an 80s look for CR.  IMO, that Pink (Neon or whatever) had an 80s feel to it.
 I liked it, but at the same time I didn't.  The green was okay, maybe they could gone with sky blue or turquoise.

FTFY.

Thanks...and sorry about that!  I meant to make that change but forgot (I did like that version actually and found myself loving & missing it upon a re-watch in the 90s).

At least eight Pricing Games that were played on the Kennedy series were physically altered in some form or fashion while that version was in production -- Danger Price, Golden Road, Grocery Game, Most Expensive, Pick a Pair, Range Game, Safe Crackers, and Switcheroo. Another, Grand Game, received its "Ten Thousand" and "Ten Thousand Dollars" graphics during this period.

Plus Card Game.  I knew about Danger Price, Safe Crackers, etc.  Wasn't sure about Most Expensive but I thought that was done earlier, might have been before they broke for the holidays.  Lucky Seven was later after all of those, I believe.

No worries about the CBS Curtains.  I guess we'll find out for sure in a month or two

With the show being on the air for nearly half a century (not counting the original version of course), some might not get into the win total (no one here on the boards) just outside casual fans.  For me, seeing someone win over $15,000 in Season 11 is still exciting.  Especially one woman who won big in her showcase (4761D I believe).  It just aired over the past 8 hours. 

That was probably one of, if not the most excited I've ever seen a contestant.  I've seen people rush to their cars or whatever was included in the showcase, but those occurred later on in the Barker Era.  I don't remember seeing that happen that early.  No one came from the studio audience to celebrate, but she ran from her podium to her showcase in about 1-2 seconds after Bob signed off.  That was great to see!
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #617 on: December 17, 2020, 09:21:36 AM »
Speaking of the FAQ:

Pricefan, that is a possibility.  Of course the mid 80s featured a ton of changes, at least a half-dozen made during the time nighttime PIR taped/aired.  Speaking of which, I wonder if GuyWithFace or someone else knows when the CBS curtains were changed from brown to maroon.  That was definitely done while Johnny was announcing but I can't pinpoint the exact date (between late 1984 and likely early 1985)

The maroon CBS Eye curtains changed at the same time that the studio audience seats changed from teal to red, around late May/early June of 1985. There is at least one known Kennedy taping (taped April 1985) that has the new red audience seats along the side sections but with the old teal seats in the center section, which still had the gold CBS curtains. Its not known if this short-lived configuration appeared on the daytime show at this point, similar to the orange Contestants' Row displays with the new "rainbow" set in 1975 that only appeared on the nighttime show.

Speaking of changes, the Circle Wipes were actually added in two phases during January 1983: the first wipe used during the transition from Bob to the lights/audience on 1/6, and the second used during the transition from the audience back to Bob in front of the turntable on either 1/28 or 1/31, since the former is a skipped episode at this point.

Still, its neat seeing everything from bloopers like the Barker's Bargain Bar set turned off, to a $17 and change Check Out malfunction. $20,000 seems to be the "big winner" threshold for me at this point, and I've seen a few at this level so far, though the $15,000-$19,999 winners are still very good for this era. No cars under $6,000 at this point, and no perfect shows out of the 100 aired so far, though we've had quite a few 4/6 and 5/6 shows.
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Online SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #618 on: December 17, 2020, 12:32:01 PM »
Thanks pannoni!  We might be a couple months or so away (maybe a little more) from finding out if that configuration surfaced on the daytime show.  Pretty strange but I guess maybe they didn't get enough seat or have all the newer seats available at that time.

Missed the Sunday airing of 4783D (it was necessary to sleep in that day) but it can't be said enough (or I can't say it enough): these contestants are pretty awesome!  Especially Beverly, who might be the nicest contestant I've ever seen.  Maybe one of the nicest people on Planet Earth.  Such a good sport and at least for the most part, way energetic and was smiling throughout her appearances.  Such positive energy!  Her showcase bid was not good at all, but that's pretty much the only error she made.  Just a handful of 9th contestants that I honestly rooted for based on their great interaction with Bob.  It sucks given they have one chance but one of those cases where they get out of CR immediately.

A couple programming notes of interest:  The 100-episode cycle is about to end.  I'm optimistic that they'll proceed with 4792D (and if they do, we'll get the 12th Season Premiere by Monday).  However, I won't be surprised at all if we're getting 4581D again at 2:00 PM EST.  No mention was made from Pluto.

What Pluto did say was related to Christmas.  From their Twitter Feed & their Facebook page, on Christmas Day, Pluto is airing shows from 1982.  That's been confirmed.  It'll be December 17 and 20-24

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #619 on: December 17, 2020, 02:06:42 PM »
A couple programming notes of interest:  The 100-episode cycle is about to end.  I'm optimistic that they'll proceed with 4792D (and if they do, we'll get the 12th Season Premiere by Monday).  However, I won't be surprised at all if we're getting 4581D again at 2:00 PM EST.  No mention was made from Pluto.

What Pluto did say was related to Christmas.  From their Twitter Feed & their Facebook page, on Christmas Day, Pluto is airing shows from 1982.  That's been confirmed.  It'll be December 17 and 20-24

They did indeed go back to 4581D from a quick check just now. And not surprised about Christmas, figured it was 1982 they'd run. I missed 1 and part of the 2nd though when they aired 1st time, so will look for em then if not sooner. Interesting they'd run the 17th show as part of that day too, but given the Christmas Home Viewer Showcase winner was announced that day it'd make sense.

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #620 on: December 17, 2020, 03:26:08 PM »
Plus Card Game.
Card Game was not played on the Kennedy series. (The full list of Pricing Games is present here.)
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline name456

• In the Audience
« Reply #621 on: December 17, 2020, 03:46:26 PM »
May or June 85 sounds right on the curtains. I remember Johnny only announced a handful of shows after the change. There was also a period of just a solid red behind him.

Offline C8

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #622 on: December 17, 2020, 05:24:00 PM »
Have these eps caused anyone to reevaluate their opinions on some of the games played at the time?

*For me, Its Optional has been a surprise. I love it. I think it's a ton of fun and an innovative idea (and love the set). It just seems too easy to win what would be a substantial amount of prizes (something like air conditioning and cruise control are obviously pricy whereas a lamp package is obviously cheap).

*Another surprise: Give or Keep. Simple idea, fun game. One of my favorite retired games is Buy or Sell and it gives me a similar vibe.

*Card Game is tedious no matter how its played but seems to be worse with no opening bid, no "any value" aces, and a limited big deck.

And Three Strikes was probably my favorite game growing up. Seeing it played regularly for regular cars (and regularly lost) has been interesting to say the least. Taking a more difficult concept and promoting it to special occasions makes a lot of sense and I think 3X works far better in that role.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #623 on: December 17, 2020, 05:30:27 PM »
*Card Game is tedious no matter how its played but seems to be worse with no opening bid, no "any value" aces, and a limited big deck.

Product of its' time with cheaper cars....though the Ace rule surprises me for even then. The next batch of shows will see the New Card Game come up though, and the elimination of both aspects as a result.

Poker Game is one watching back I see why it got retired, even though it lasted forever obviously. It's a bit more complicated than Hit Me by comparison (that one shoulda never been retired IMO), kinda a crapshoot and a lot of thinking involved relative to most any other game on the show.

Offline Spmahn

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #624 on: December 17, 2020, 06:49:38 PM »
I enjoy It’s Optional, but it would appear that the only way to lose would be to actively sabotage yourself by making choices that would wholly defy logic and reason. I can see how this would be difficult for the shows budget, and why the game was retired.

Offline name456

• In the Audience
« Reply #625 on: December 18, 2020, 03:49:30 PM »
Card Game relies far more on luck with a $200 range. With so many face cards in the deck, it’s easy to go over, and just as easy to play too cautiously and stop on a low bid. Still, I enjoy it.

I think Deluxe Dice Game comes in early 83. Regular Dice Game in 1982-83 is just not as fun as the late 70s and the five digit variety. The first digit is a gimme (a 6), if the second digit is lower than 5 or 6, it’s an incredibly cheap car.

I don’t recall It’s Optional being lost much.

Offline MrPlinko

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #626 on: December 18, 2020, 03:56:20 PM »
Lots of one second drop outs on Pluto today.

Joe

Offline name456

• In the Audience
« Reply #627 on: December 18, 2020, 04:20:22 PM »
Ten Chances isn’t as fun when so many contestants don’t realize the prices end in zero!

Online SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #628 on: December 18, 2020, 06:52:15 PM »
Ten Chances isn’t as fun when so many contestants don’t realize the prices end in zero!

I guess it's a little forgivable early on, especially when there wasn't always a zero as an option.  One of the episodes I watched on Monday featured a prize where the number selection was 4, 6, 8, and 9.

Card Game relies far more on luck with a $200 range. With so many face cards in the deck, it’s easy to go over, and just as easy to play too cautiously and stop on a low bid. Still, I enjoy it.

I think Deluxe Dice Game comes in early 83. Regular Dice Game in 1982-83 is just not as fun as the late 70s and the five digit variety. The first digit is a gimme (a 6), if the second digit is lower than 5 or 6, it’s an incredibly cheap car.

I don’t recall It’s Optional being lost much.

I wonder if the goal would've been $250 away from the price of the more expensive car if the game was active today (just another failed attempt at a joke, sorry!).  Anyway, it was a little surprising to see they game disappear, but as mentioned, it made sense for its retirement.  I guess it would've been more suited as a game for something other than two cars (with a name change for the pricing game).  I always loved It's Optional, but times change and things are different.

For the record, that game was 27-18

Deluxe Dice Game will be arriving shortly; as soon as the next batch surfaces, it'll be coming up.  Didn't have a problem with Dice Game as a four digit price.  The game was difficult regardless of 4 or 5 digits.

Card Game was a nightmare early on.  It's a great game, but unless you draw an ace, you could go from not being close enough to over with one draw.  That's based on the range.  Not really a sabotage, just bad luck

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #629 on: December 18, 2020, 07:02:19 PM »
I wonder if the goal would've been $250 away from the price of the more expensive car if the game was active today (just another failed attempt at a joke, sorry!).  Anyway, it was a little surprising to see they game disappear, but as mentioned, it made sense for its retirement.  I guess it would've been more suited as a game for something other than two cars (with a name change for the pricing game).  I always loved It's Optional, but times change and things are different.

For the record, that game was 27-18

Here's an interesting idea just off the top of my head.....what if you made the game be like for 5 prizes, the last of which was a car, and the game was the same except you used the prices of the 4 smaller prizes as the options, being able to choose up to 3 to reach the target window for that day. Ie: the combined total of the 4 lesser prizes in a playing could total $12,000 and the car totaled $24,000, and you could have a target window of $19,000-$22,000 you'd have to hit or stay within in order to win all 5. Could be an interesting way to revamp it and make it less of a crapshoot or budget buster due to being too easy. Thoughts anyone?