Author Topic: The Price is Right: The Barker Era on Pluto TV  (Read 361030 times)

Offline name456

• In the Audience
Re: The Price is Right: The Barker Era on Pluto TV
« Reply #675 on: January 10, 2021, 02:26:54 AM »
If my memory is correct, GSN’s run stopped in early 1984. I know they aired various later episodes over the years.

Offline JediJones

• In the Audience
« Reply #676 on: January 10, 2021, 03:47:08 AM »
What if they let Bob or a spokesperson that he designates put an anti-fur PSA over any segment where a fur is described as a prize? I guess it might get difficult to match a recording up by time against segments of different lengths.

Offline Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #677 on: January 10, 2021, 04:08:26 AM »
It’s not happening.  Maybe once Barker passes, the fur ban will be lifted.  But there is a reason Pluto TV started where they did, and it’s good enough for me.  Besides, and perhaps I’m alone here, but I find most of the clips I watch of pre-1980s shows to be kind of boring.  Especially before the ‘new’ music packages were introduced and the set was 10 different shades of ugly brown.  Many here may like it, but I’ll quietly pass. :P
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #678 on: January 10, 2021, 12:19:15 PM »
3. They could put a censor bar over the coat and bleep out the description
They're not going to do anymore work than they need to just to please a small amount of viewers that are itching to see episodes from before the fur ban. Either they will eventually decide to air them without edits like that or they won't.

Offline Tpirfan1995mr

• Outside in Line
« Reply #679 on: January 10, 2021, 12:42:37 PM »
When they get to 2 10 84 what GSN could've aired if rights were not taken away
The pricing games according to the calendar in grey background were
Super Ball!!
3 Strikes
Poker Game
Barker's Bargain Bar
Money Game
Pick a Pair

Offline name456

• In the Audience
« Reply #680 on: January 10, 2021, 02:42:41 PM »
Earth tones were big in the early 70s. That set was cool back then. Now, I agree on the ugliness. The Temptation board looks better in green though.

Barker hadn’t found his style yet, he was more of a stereotypical game show host. At the time he was better on TorC. I remember my parents wishing Bill Cullen would have hosted again. My memories of Cullen Price are somewhat vague but I did enjoy him of course.

Offline Tpirfan1995mr

• Outside in Line
« Reply #681 on: January 10, 2021, 04:19:44 PM »
If my memory is correct, GSN’s run stopped in early 1984. I know they aired various later episodes over the years.
that is why I can't wait to see those because most of those are in grey background onthe calendar

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #682 on: January 11, 2021, 10:32:04 AM »
Here are some points I don't approve of the fur ban of episodes from the past
1. You can't change the past
2. We won't be able to see finish line shower game telephone game early playings of cliffhangers punch a bunch penny ante and pre green section showcase showdown
3. They could put a censor bar over the coat and bleep out the description

My reason is much more simple and direct: For every episode that included a game/Showcase played for a fur, there were contestants – including the ones who played for the fur – who competed on the show.

Plain and simple.

Being on "Price," meeting Bob Barker/Johnny Olson/the Beauties/etc. is/was a highlight of their lives, and while they may have a videotaped record of their show, more than likely they never have been able to watch their show again other than the time it originally aired or, possibly, if it were rerun during the summer months. Remember that until the late 1980s, home recording technology was a very expensive luxury, and you don't have to necessarily go to existing "Price" (or other era game shows) episodes from the late 1970s/early 1980s – where VCRs were sometmes priced at $1,500; a 1978 clip of the "High Rollers" pilot had a VCR priced at $2,400(!) – to see how expensive a VCR was then; and then, videotapes do degrade or become lost over time.

Also, if the contestants who appeared on these "Price" episodes have since passed away, their descendants haven't gotten a chance to see their mom or dad, grandma or grandpa, aunt or uncle, etc. and watch a special memory. What a story they could share and enjoy, without them being there, and a chance to see them, hear their voices and remember them as they were once again.

Simply put, by not airing "fur" episodes, not only does it change the record, but this denies contestants (and their families and friends) who were on these shows a chance to see themselves once again, from 40-plus years ago, competing on one of America's all-time great game shows.

Brian

Offline MrPlinko

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #683 on: January 11, 2021, 02:29:27 PM »
I don't know if I posted this before or not:

But it was mentioned that when Pluto TV did their promotional run for TPIR that a few episodes slipped through the cracks and had furs as prizes. (Before the 100 episodes at a time was established.) If this is correct, do we know for reference, what year the episodes were from?

I think that the fur ban will be lifted upon Bob's passing, unless he has specified in his will that he does not want any fur episodes of Price aired because of his devotion to animal rights.

Joe

Offline supersaver87

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #684 on: January 11, 2021, 03:57:02 PM »
But it was mentioned that when Pluto TV did their promotional run for TPIR that a few episodes slipped through the cracks and had furs as prizes. (Before the 100 episodes at a time was established.) If this is correct, do we know for reference, what year the episodes were from?

I have two GSN airings with a fur coat. One was November 16, 1972, and the other was June 13, 1977.

There's another early episode where Bob excitedly mentions they offer fur coats, but I don't recall which episode it was. Either way, the episode itself lacked a fur.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #685 on: January 11, 2021, 04:38:58 PM »
It would be disrespectful if they started airing fur episodes just because Bob is no longer living after he dies. I still think either they will not air anything from before the ban or they will eventually air earlier episodes but only ones without furs. The only exception I could see is if they were to air the premiere episode.

Offline Tpirfan1995mr

• Outside in Line
« Reply #686 on: January 11, 2021, 04:50:00 PM »
If that's the case if we want a episode with a fur what would you do

Offline PunchABunchFan

• Outside in Line
« Reply #687 on: January 11, 2021, 05:20:53 PM »
My reason is much more simple and direct: For every episode that included a game/Showcase played for a fur, there were contestants – including the ones who played for the fur – who competed on the show.

Plain and simple.

Being on "Price," meeting Bob Barker/Johnny Olson/the Beauties/etc. is/was a highlight of their lives, and while they may have a videotaped record of their show, more than likely they never have been able to watch their show again other than the time it originally aired or, possibly, if it were rerun during the summer months. Remember that until the late 1980s, home recording technology was a very expensive luxury, and you don't have to necessarily go to existing "Price" (or other era game shows) episodes from the late 1970s/early 1980s – where VCRs were sometmes priced at $1,500; a 1978 clip of the "High Rollers" pilot had a VCR priced at $2,400(!) – to see how expensive a VCR was then; and then, videotapes do degrade or become lost over time.

Also, if the contestants who appeared on these "Price" episodes have since passed away, their descendants haven't gotten a chance to see their mom or dad, grandma or grandpa, aunt or uncle, etc. and watch a special memory. What a story they could share and enjoy, without them being there, and a chance to see them, hear their voices and remember them as they were once again.

Simply put, by not airing "fur" episodes, not only does it change the record, but this denies contestants (and their families and friends) who were on these shows a chance to see themselves once again, from 40-plus years ago, competing on one of America's all-time great game shows.

Brian

I believe that Fremantle has an e-mail address for contestants, family members, etc. to make requests of episodes (with a fairly hefty fee attached if I recall correctly), so there is a way for people to get that (unless it's recently been discontinued).  I don't know whether episodes with furs are available via this route.

I agree with the others who note that Fremantle and Pluto are profit-driven enterprises and are not going to incur a lot of expense to fulfill the desires of a very small audience where there is no economic justification for doing so. 

Offline Spmahn

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #688 on: January 11, 2021, 06:26:20 PM »
It would be disrespectful if they started airing fur episodes just because Bob is no longer living after he dies. I still think either they will not air anything from before the ban or they will eventually air earlier episodes but only ones without furs. The only exception I could see is if they were to air the premiere episode.

I get the whole disrespectful thing, but this is TV history, and it’s important. It would be an absolute travesty if 10+ years of TPIR history disappeared into the ether and gathered dust in the Freemantle archives for all eternity. I get Bob’s position, but he is absolutely wrong here. Ignoring all those episodes isnt going to bring back all those miks, weasels, and foxes back. We can accept it as being wrong, while also not pretending it didn’t happen. Just like the old lady who requests to have her cat euthanized to be buried with her when she dies, sometimes it’s ok to ignore a persons wishes when they are short sighted and wrong.

Offline Tpirfan1995mr

• Outside in Line
« Reply #689 on: January 11, 2021, 06:34:42 PM »
I get the whole disrespectful thing, but this is TV history, and it’s important. It would be an absolute travesty if 10+ years of TPIR history disappeared into the ether and gathered dust in the Freemantle archives for all eternity. I get Bob’s position, but he is absolutely wrong here. Ignoring all those episodes isnt going to bring back all those miks, weasels, and foxes back. We can accept it as being wrong, while also not pretending it didn’t happen. Just like the old lady who requests to have her cat euthanized to be buried with her when she dies, sometimes it’s ok to ignore a persons wishes when they are short sighted and wrong.
because of this we can't see finish line shower game telephone game early playings of cliffhangers punch a bunch penny ante and pre green section showcase showdown if I wanted to buy a episode with a fur from freemantle I'll cite this episode might have a fur and can't be reran on tv and your the only one I can turn to