Author Topic: The Price is Right: The Barker Era on Pluto TV  (Read 360217 times)

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: The Price is Right: The Barker Era on Pluto TV
« Reply #810 on: February 26, 2021, 03:54:44 PM »
It seems to me that Take Two was the only PG in which Bob received any sort of signal as to the correct answer. Am I missing any others?

Bob often asks "What should she/he have taken?" upon a loss which leads to a signal by the staff/pages.

Looks like with the arrival of Season 12, the interior of the Clamshell design changed again, with a pattern of zigzags ranging from dark blue to white. This appears to be the final interior design before the entire Clam gets a revamp for Season 13.

The playing of Dice Game following the "Broken" playing on the second show of S12 still featured two of the numbers lighting up in the wrong places, with one of them not working in its proper position. This was the second playing of five digit Deluxe Dice. The third show of S12 also confirms that the first playing of 5-digit 3 Strikes (+) would be on the next playing after that one. Finally, the first three shows of the new season featured an experimental wide arrow split-screen graphic used during the Showcase Showdown. For the first few months of S12, this version would appear frequently before reverting back to the narrow arrow graphic.

Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline supersaver87

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #811 on: February 26, 2021, 06:30:10 PM »
That's not exactly true. I have a few episodes that they shows from this range - most of them were from WinTV.

How many were there? I'm only aware of three, all from WinTV.

The three I know are 5412D from 9/25/84, 5432D from 10/9/84, and 5791D from 9/9/85 (the 14th season premiere).

They ran them in different slots besides the 8am and 4pm Win TV slots? I wasn't aware of that.

One oddity about that...at least one recollection states that a syndicated episode aired on one of those days, but no one appears to have had the VCR rolling for it.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #812 on: February 26, 2021, 06:57:41 PM »
One oddity about that...at least one recollection states that a syndicated episode aired on one of those days, but no one appears to have had the VCR rolling for it.

A syndicated episode from the 70's or 80's? And for that matter which host? I know much of Kennedy's one year run if not all of it aired on the network. So I assume it may have been the former?

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #813 on: February 26, 2021, 07:02:57 PM »
The playing of Dice Game following the "Broken" playing on the second show of S12 still featured two of the numbers lighting up in the wrong places, with one of them not working in its proper position. This was the second playing of five digit Deluxe Dice.

Didn't they have a playing earlier in these first almost 200 shows, where the spotlights didn't work at all on the monitors, and as a result they just lit up the actual number in the price of the car with each roll instead of waiting for the end? I recall seeing that, but I forget if it was from YouTube or within these shows somewhere. If it was, they seemed to have had some issues with the game around this time, between that and these two incidents not too long after it.

Offline supersaver87

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #814 on: February 26, 2021, 07:25:36 PM »
A syndicated episode from the 70's or 80's? And for that matter which host? I know much of Kennedy's one year run if not all of it aired on the network. So I assume it may have been the former?

If this is correct, it was a 1978 episode, which GSN aired on Oct. 28, 1996. Imad Khuri caught the tail end of it, too late to tape it. He never did find a copy, unfortunately.

Here's the post where Imad is asking for it: https://groups.google.com/g/alt.tv.game-shows/c/MQhEmcMgCsE/m/5_uIgY_KkeYJ
« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 07:29:08 PM by supersaver87 »

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #815 on: February 26, 2021, 09:00:06 PM »
If this is correct, it was a 1978 episode, which GSN aired on Oct. 28, 1996. Imad Khuri caught the tail end of it, too late to tape it. He never did find a copy, unfortunately.

Here's the post where Imad is asking for it: https://groups.google.com/g/alt.tv.game-shows/c/MQhEmcMgCsE/m/5_uIgY_KkeYJ

Man that woulda be gold....there's only one other episode of his portion of the Nighttime run otherwise available, that of course being the finale in 1980. Hopefully it turns up one of these days.

Offline Chelsea

• Executive Producer
« Reply #816 on: February 27, 2021, 01:42:11 PM »
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Price did a half hour episode in 1978 (2714D, OAD 3/2/1978) that coincides with a part of the run that GSN otherwise DID air in 1996-98, and all available info I have says GSN never touched the syndicated run. (As for why: Too many furs, even compared to the daytime show, to make it worth airing)

I can't say definitively that it wasn't a syndicated episode, but I would consider it 999999999% more likely that this is the episode in question. And info was so sufficiently less available at the time that "a half hour Price episode dated to 1978" could absolutely pass off as being a nighttime show
« Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 01:44:15 PM by Chelsea »

Offline Chelsea

• Executive Producer
« Reply #817 on: February 27, 2021, 02:07:43 PM »
so looking through the calendars at the next few years, I've found the *single* episode I most want Pluto to air. 

5864D. 10/31/1985.  If the lineup in the calendars is correct or at least the correct list of games (it's unconfirmed), not just four but FIVE retired games in one episode - almost certainly the most of any episode in the entire run.  Give or Keep, On the Nose, Poker Game, Bump, 3 Strikes, Penny Ante

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #818 on: February 27, 2021, 02:13:06 PM »
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Price did a half hour episode in 1978 (2714D, OAD 3/2/1978) that coincides with a part of the run that GSN otherwise DID air in 1996-98, and all available info I have says GSN never touched the syndicated run. (As for why: Too many furs, even compared to the daytime show, to make it worth airing)

I can't say definitively that it wasn't a syndicated episode, but I would consider it 999999999% more likely that this is the episode in question. And info was so sufficiently less available at the time that "a half hour Price episode dated to 1978" could absolutely pass off as being a nighttime show

Looking at FAQ, there were some 8 half hour shows in 78, 6 in Season 6 where this came from (or 1 per month basically from January), and 2 in Season 7. Did they air Season 7 at all in that time span? If not it'd have likely been 1 of the 6 from 6 from what you said.

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #819 on: February 27, 2021, 02:15:16 PM »
Yes, that is the only 5 retired game I can find, three others with 4.

Code: [Select]
4 lineups found in S1-49 for any RETIRED game (x4,5,6), played in any slot

S      AIRDATE                 PG1                 PG2             PG3         PG4            PG5             PG6
5864D  14  Oct 31 1985    Give or Keep (^)     On the Nose (^)  Poker Game (^)    Bump (^)  3 Strikes (^)  Penny Ante (^)
6201D  15  Sep 29 1986        Give or Keep  Most Expensive (T)      Any Number  Poker Game     Add 'em Up      Penny Ante
6882D  16  May 10 1988          Shell Game          Poker Game      Add 'em Up        Bump      3 Strikes      Penny Ante
8184D  20  Nov 14 1991  Super Ball!! (car)       Double Prices     Credit Card        Bump    $uper $aver       Dice Game
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Online TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
« Reply #820 on: February 27, 2021, 05:47:27 PM »
If we're talking about weird novelty lineups, in Season 12, the one I'm most excited for is 5312D, May 1st.

Barker's Bargain Bar, Phone Home Game,  Clock Game,  Poker Game,  Money Game, and Balance Game '84: 5 out of 6 games end in "Game", and the sixth one nowadays is known as "Bargain Game". There have been several other lineups that had 5 games end in "Game", but never all six, so this is the closest we're getting.
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Online SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #821 on: February 27, 2021, 08:17:25 PM »
Technically, BBB was officially known as Bargain Game back then; well on paper.  FWIW, this did cross my mind a couple years ago, so it's rather neat to see all the games end in "Game" within a single line-up.  Of course, Bob often added "game" to pretty much every game played on the show around that time, but AFAIK those other games that didn't end in that word didn't end with the word "game" officially
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline tpir72

• In the Audience
« Reply #822 on: February 28, 2021, 02:00:22 AM »

One reason I know the said episode from 1978 was nighttime was because there was a “contestants not appearing on stage” segment during the end credits.

Imad

EDITED by Steve to fix quoting.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 02:33:19 AM by SteveGavazzi »

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #823 on: February 28, 2021, 02:34:29 AM »
One reason I know the said episode from 1978 was nighttime was because there was a “contestants not appearing on stage” segment during the end credits.

How does that tell us it wasn't a daytime show?  It's not like we have any other half-hour episodes from that era to compare it to.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #824 on: February 28, 2021, 03:03:16 AM »
How does that tell us it wasn't a daytime show?  It's not like we have any other half-hour episodes from that era to compare it to.

Well the Kennedy nighttime shows did this, as does the 1980 finale with Barker just checking it and James era before it by looks of it comparing it to that. Whether they did it on other daytime half hour shows of the time is hard to say, although I can tell you looking at the 84 half hour special episode, they did the plug before the showcases vs. after, so I would tend to assume earlier standalones did the same thing. Could be wrong, but that'd be my guess.

The best way to know though for sure what it was? How Bob closed the show. On the 1980 finale he said used the phrase "Good night everybody" as opposed to "Good-bye everybody.", as he would have done on a daytime show. If he said it in this one as well, then it was a nighttime show for sure. Would you remember which it was Imad?