Author Topic: The Price is Right: The Barker Era on Pluto TV  (Read 356332 times)

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: The Price is Right: The Barker Era on Pluto TV
« Reply #825 on: February 28, 2021, 03:22:42 AM »
Something that would clinch it being a nighttime show... was there any mention of Viacom in the credit roll?

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #826 on: February 28, 2021, 03:27:24 AM »
Something that would clinch it being a nighttime show... was there any mention of Viacom in the credit roll?

Another thing too that I thought of after the fact, would be the Showcases. They were always MUCH bigger than the daytime show then, in prizes and cost both, into the 5 digit range big time by this point. So like the close, if they were on par with other nighttime shows of the time, that also would be a tell.

Offline Chelsea

• Executive Producer
« Reply #827 on: February 28, 2021, 11:05:20 PM »
I'm not saying it wasn't, but I'm saying it was extremely unlikely it was a nighttime show.  And barring the actual footage turning up, it's probably going to be unknown. But all the data and info I have says GSN never touched the 70s nighttime version on-air.

I mean this super lovingly but as someone there at the time, a lot of the things said actively and in passing on ATGS back in the day were said with the info that we had at the time.  Which was very, very incomplete and only a small fraction of what's known now. 

Offline thatvhstapeguy

• In Contestant's Row
  • Third person to ever see the new studio
« Reply #828 on: March 02, 2021, 04:50:06 PM »

I second looking for this, that's the biggest giveaway.
I've encountered references to Viacom's animated logo at the time (that zooming purple V with the bad synthesizer) being on syndie Price but haven't found any actual evidence of that yet.
I didn't get called down, but the guy next to me did

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #829 on: March 02, 2021, 05:47:57 PM »
I second looking for this, that's the biggest giveaway.
I've encountered references to Viacom's animated logo at the time (that zooming purple V with the bad synthesizer) being on syndie Price but haven't found any actual evidence of that yet.

That actually would be the second biggest...thinking on it now, the biggest would to me be....the light border in the opening. If you recall, by Bob's period as seen with the finale, they didn't use the full on border the daytime show had. They used the star effect instead. So if we saw that, we'd know with 100% certainty it is nighttime.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #830 on: March 02, 2021, 09:16:46 PM »
Ok I'm annoyed. I tried to go the live channel directly for first time in a while, just to see what was on it/watch a little bit to kill some time, and for some reason, Pluto each time I try redirects me to the featured channel (which right now is Paramount + ), makes getting to the stream a major pain in the ass. Who thought doing this was a good idea? Anyone else getting this? I assume it's not just me.

Offline supersaver87

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #831 on: March 02, 2021, 09:34:34 PM »
Ok I'm annoyed. I tried to go the live channel directly for first time in a while, just to see what was on it/watch a little bit to kill some time, and for some reason, Pluto each time I try redirects me to the featured channel (which right now is Paramount + ), makes getting to the stream a major pain in the ass. Who thought doing this was a good idea? Anyone else getting this? I assume it's not just me.

Not just you, happens to me all the time! Not a fan of it at all.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #832 on: March 02, 2021, 09:36:20 PM »
Not just you, happens to me all the time! Not a fan of it at all.

When did they start doing this? Sounds like it's been going on a while? I haven't watched really in a good month or so at least.

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
« Reply #833 on: March 02, 2021, 09:49:44 PM »
^They changed the URL from https://pluto.tv/live-tv/tpir-the-barker-era to https://pluto.tv/live-tv/the-price-is-right-the-barker-era for some reason, so since "tpir-the-barker-era" isn't a valid tag anymore, it redirects to the default featured channel.

https://pluto.tv/live-tv/163 also works, and should work until they reshuffle the channels.
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #834 on: March 02, 2021, 09:56:05 PM »
Pluto has been dealing with a ton of issues, at least on my end, but as of March 2021, each link works for me.  I've accessed the channel on several devices, so maybe one's "featured channel" differs from someone else.  I don't know; I was directed to something else other than TPIR in the past, but that only occurred a couple times at most
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline johnnymatch

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #835 on: March 05, 2021, 11:14:07 PM »
Question: Who is the woman who, on many Barker Era shows, is seated in the front row next to the chair with “right” on it.  She is always dressed nicely, calmly waving and smiling. I sense she’s with CBS or G/T.
Look forward to learning. 
John, Rod, Rich... What is the next name on your list?

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #836 on: March 06, 2021, 12:52:51 AM »
Question: Who is the woman who, on many Barker Era shows, is seated in the front row next to the chair with “right” on it.  She is always dressed nicely, calmly waving and smiling. I sense she’s with CBS or G/T.
Look forward to learning.

That’s Gina Edwards Nyman. I asked Roger Dobkowitz about her... She always sat next to the Green chair that had “RIGHT” written on it... and she always waved to the camera, she had brown hair then. She’s still with the show. The only others from the BARKER era that are still working with the show are Stan Blits
And Adam Sandler
With the show
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline holdme

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #837 on: March 06, 2021, 04:18:11 PM »
I noticed that starting with episode 4991, the Pluto TV guide still lists this as season 11 instead of 12.

Offline johnnymatch

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #838 on: March 06, 2021, 05:14:56 PM »
And now I know. Thank you.  (Sorry, I wasn’t logged on back in December. Thanks for not reminding me.)
John, Rod, Rich... What is the next name on your list?

Offline publisher

• In the Audience
« Reply #839 on: March 06, 2021, 05:22:10 PM »
Apropos of nothing, I suppose this has to do with the frequency they were played during this era, but I adore both Poker Game and Hit Me more than ever. I was only 10 when these episodes aired, so I didn't understand either game that much at the time. I got the reasons for their retirement when it happened (though I still lament Hit Me's loss -- it's a fantastic game), but these episodes remind me how much I miss them both.