Author Topic: The Price is Right: The Barker Era on Pluto TV  (Read 361100 times)

Offline holdme

• In Contestant's Row
Re: The Price is Right: The Barker Era on Pluto TV
« Reply #915 on: May 24, 2021, 03:59:34 PM »
How many episodes total through all the cycles have they now skipped counting those two?

4571 - 4775 - season 11 premiere week
4865 - April Fool's
4994 & 4995 - season 12 premiere week

Offline catnapped

• Outside in Line
« Reply #916 on: May 24, 2021, 05:03:51 PM »
Are they jumping past all the showcase reveals?

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #917 on: May 24, 2021, 05:36:00 PM »
How many episodes total through all the cycles have they now skipped counting those two?

I believe the total is 11.  Four from the original 100, a couple from the next batch, and then this batch that includes the ones from the start of the season
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #918 on: May 25, 2021, 07:25:42 AM »
When the next two batches of 25 roll out over the next few weeks, we'll be up to 300 total and basically have just about every episode GSN ran in 1999 and early 2000 that weren't part of Win TV. Assuming there's no more skips, we're slated to go as far as 5211D (2/20/84), which is the episode before the half-hour special due to the Pillsbury Bake-Off, as well as being seven episodes past the end of GSN's lease.

Also, Pluto aired the Ticket Plug during 5083D, the first known occurrence of this happening. That episode also featured the debut of the current pattern on the top portion of the present Five Price Tags podiums. 5093D was also the first episode to do away with announcing the prize package total on Master Key.

Most Showcase reveals are coming through, but every five episodes or so, there's a jump it seems.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 07:32:00 AM by pannoni1 »
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline actual_retail_tice

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #919 on: May 25, 2021, 11:45:46 AM »
In #5061D, something I´ve never seen happen before: a contestant is called down during the opening but wanders up onto the stage and remains there even as Bob enters through the big doors. In place of his usual opening remarks, Bob has a short chat with him before sending him down to Contestant's row.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #920 on: May 25, 2021, 12:42:13 PM »
In #5061D, something I´ve never seen happen before: a contestant is called down during the opening but wanders up onto the stage and remains there even as Bob enters through the big doors. In place of his usual opening remarks, Bob has a short chat with him before sending him down to Contestant's row.

I totally forgot about that!  It looked like he was directed back to CR, or the staff attempted to direct him there, but then the rest was history.  I'm glad that he officially got out of contestant's row; even though his attempts at winning anything in Clock Game didn't work out, I no longer have to wonder what a premature arrival to the stage in the opening looks like.

Skipped episodes: I totally didn't see holdme's post when replying to pricefan.  Not sure how that didn't show up on my end until later, but that's the list.  Still 11 skipped shows so far

Set upgrades: Looks like Trader Bob received one when the title sign was painted Yellow.  Not sure if it's meaningful news, but I think that was present in 5005D

Offline Chelsea

• Executive Producer
« Reply #921 on: May 25, 2021, 05:27:57 PM »
Most Showcase reveals are coming through, but every five episodes or so, there's a jump it seems.

Have not had this issue.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #922 on: May 30, 2021, 11:18:30 AM »
I believe the issues stem from one's Internet infrastructure, coupled with one's PC or laptop or whatever as mentioned elsewhere (and from my (past) experiences).  Several years ago, when money was tight and the need for cable was not there, I settled with live streaming and it's been great.  No way it's perfect; between that and cable they have their pros and cons.  For instance, cable is necessary for a Red Zone without much issue, but it's seasonal where RD isn't necessary if you're travelling, on the move, and/or your family or a restaurant has it.  Moreover, with XFinity Prepaid, it's a lot less expensive, and I can easily save and rewind content for a ton of devices.

It does help to have the best service & the best devices.  That, and where you live is pretty important.  I've had my share of issues, but between my old locations, and newer locations coupled with upgrading my computer & staying current with its maintenance, I've noticed a positive improvement

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #923 on: May 30, 2021, 12:11:40 PM »
To echo or "piggyback" what pannoni1 mentioned in what's next with the current rotation, if nothing gets skipped, then we will end right before that half-hour episode.  I would imagine that we will, as it would give Fremantle or Pluto or whomever time to figure out how they would air a half-hour episode within the cycle featuring hour-long episodes.  I don't think they would want to start at the bottom of the hour until 5212 airs again.

On the other hand, there are a couple back-to-back shows with unknown lineups, and the last show in which that show's lineup was uncertain did not air.  We'll know on Friday whether one or both of 5132 & 5133 air or are skipped.  Of course, there is no guarantee that 5212 will air at all.

The channel should get to 275 by 5 AM Eastern on 06/05/2021.  The last episodes to get to 300 should start on 06/16/2021 at 5 PM Eastern, and then the 300th show will air between 5-6 on 06/17.  That is assuming they add 25 episodes at a time and that there are no skips going forward

Offline Nate Powalie

• In Contestant's Row
  • Sporcle Live Trivia Host/Freelance Sports Writer
« Reply #924 on: May 30, 2021, 11:41:09 PM »
I've seen clips on Facebook regarding the Barker Era on Pluto appear in my feed, but there are a couple of games that I think are played too much in the clips, Hole in One and Double Prices.
"Can't we all just learn to get along already?" - Nate Powalie

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #925 on: May 31, 2021, 09:25:08 AM »
I've seen clips on Facebook regarding the Barker Era on Pluto appear in my feed, but there are a couple of games that I think are played too much in the clips, Hole in One and Double Prices.

Everything seems balanced for me.  My guess is that those two are featured more than most because they were played more often than not in that era.  I've seen a lot of Dice Game recently, but someone of the content is really the channel covering certain moments throughout that era.  It's rather random, IMO.

One thing you have to take into account is that there are roughly half as many games in the rotation at that point compared to now.  Likely more than half TBH; within that features pricing games that were played more than other pricing games.  As of this point, I think they've definitely covered all the games within a post, but for me, it's not a big deal regarding Double Prices and Hole in One

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
« Reply #926 on: June 02, 2021, 02:45:59 AM »
New drop starts June 4th, 6AM ET. We skip 5111D and go through the next 25 episodes without skips. You might want to watch the first episode though, because it's a total trainwreck  ;-)
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #927 on: June 02, 2021, 07:23:08 AM »
I swear: the news of new episodes dropping always break right after visiting the sight looking for that very same post.  I was on their Social Media page for that news (which was expected) and there was nothing; they literally posted it a second after I was on the site, based on the timestamp + last visited.  Go figure!

If they do in fact skip 5111D, then the question is what would they air at 5 AM on Friday.  If there's no typo involved, they may be addressing that half hour episode this month.  Chances are it'll be handled in the best way possible.  BTW, both that episode and 5111D are still available to view unlike most of the upcoming episodes on the channel

Offline Chelsea

• Executive Producer
« Reply #928 on: June 02, 2021, 08:16:29 AM »
This is based on absolutely nothing other than a guess but I fully anticipate that the half hour show will get skipped, when they get to it.

Offline actual_retail_tice

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #929 on: June 03, 2021, 04:25:38 PM »
November 11, 1983 (#5075) has the earliest reference I've seen to "El Cheapo" in Money Game, although as "Old Cheap-o".

The same episode features an interesting playing of Superball!! that begins about as bad as Mohini's 1991 playing, but ends with the contestant winning 2/3 of the prizes.