Author Topic: The Price is Right: The Barker Era on Pluto TV  (Read 360820 times)

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: The Price is Right: The Barker Era on Pluto TV
« Reply #960 on: June 15, 2021, 08:42:32 PM »
The only one I could think of would be ESPN, that debuted in 1979, or 3/4 years before this, but that wasn't all one show ever course. CNN would be another, coming on the next year after in 1980.
The Weather Channel started in 1982... 

Offline johnnymatch

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #961 on: June 15, 2021, 08:51:21 PM »
As someone just mentioned Bob’s “awareness”…
Does anyone know how our 97 1/2 year old friend is doing health-wise (ambulatorily and/or cognitively?)
I don’t know whether G-R still has Roger as a resource anymore.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 09:00:09 PM by johnnymatch »
John, Rod, Rich... What is the next name on your list?

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #962 on: June 15, 2021, 11:11:29 PM »
As someone just mentioned Bob’s “awareness”…
Does anyone know how our 97 1/2 year old friend is doing health-wise (ambulatorily and/or cognitively?)
Pretty sure Roger said Bob has around-the-clock live-in assistance now (which, to be frank, is to be expected of someone almost pushing the century mark).

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #963 on: June 15, 2021, 11:41:49 PM »
Pretty sure Roger said Bob has around-the-clock live-in assistance now (which, to be frank, is to be expected of someone almost pushing the century mark).

Even moreso given he fell a year or two back I remember, I know he was seen in a wheelchair around same time roughly I believe too.

Offline holdme

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #964 on: June 16, 2021, 08:08:58 PM »
Who is the brunette model with the shoulder length hair on the currently airing show...5171?

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #965 on: June 16, 2021, 08:17:47 PM »
Who is the brunette model with the shoulder length hair on the currently airing show...5171?

I think that might be Kyle.

Looks like they've been playing a lot of Car games in the 4th slot this season.  I don't remember all of them.  So far it's been over a quarter dozen; could be much more as the line-ups become disclosed in time
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline actual_retail_tice

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #966 on: June 17, 2021, 10:07:34 AM »
Some of the episodes airing now are the ones where cars pop up in odd places in the showcases, such as being the first or the middle prize. They didn't stick with this long and when it did happen, another big prize, like a trailer, appeared as the last prize. (#5195D does this, and at least one other show during Holly's absence also does.)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2021, 10:11:10 AM by actual_retail_tice »

Offline holdme

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #967 on: June 17, 2021, 01:04:08 PM »
So 5201, 5212, and 5213 are three of the four skipped shows in this batch. Can someone confirm the other one that was skipped please?

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #968 on: June 17, 2021, 01:16:03 PM »
So 5201, 5212, and 5213 are three of the four skipped shows in this batch. Can someone confirm the other one that was skipped please?

5193D -- Hayloft Ethel.

Also, they actually aired 5201D and skipped 5202D.  Not sure what's causing the confusion with the show numbers -- heck, it's possible my data is what's wrong.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline sideshowPA

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #969 on: June 17, 2021, 02:15:06 PM »
Also, they actually aired 5201D and skipped 5202D.  Not sure what's causing the confusion with the show numbers -- heck, it's possible my data is what's wrong.

say it ain't so!
"I don't want to hear disorganized beeping." - Bob Barker

Offline actual_retail_tice

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #970 on: June 17, 2021, 03:12:00 PM »
#5214D: Is the rangefinder STILL not working? In this playing, the rangefinder is noticeably crooked again and stops moving a few moments before the contestant actually hits the button. Bob notices the early stop and takes a moment to observe just how badly off-kilter it looks, and for a moment, it seems like he might declare it a technical win right then and there. However, the contestant wins without a shadow of a doubt.

Offline Guint

• Double Showcase Winner
  • ^ Top Notch Production Values ^
« Reply #971 on: June 17, 2021, 03:16:04 PM »

No, I'm pretty sure it was a Pluto screwup...Bob mentioned at the top of the show that this was episode number #2601 (which it wasn't...it was the 2,503rd episode). Some people in Discord mentioned that assuming every production week had five shows, then that count would be consistent with 5201D. Plus literally every other unknown show has matched up correctly, so I'm inclined to believe you over the intern responsible for putting it up.

Also hi, my first post in over 4 years. :)

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #972 on: June 17, 2021, 06:43:49 PM »
With another set of 100 in, it's time to bring a sigh of relief when Pluto finally passes the end of GSN's lease, when on April 4, 2000, despite Price still remaining on its schedule over on its website for the last two weeks, it aired instead a double run of The Newlywed Game in its place. This season also brought Marc Breslow's first Emmy win for Best Individual Director, and it really continues to show with the quality camerawork.

As of February 27, 1984:

*The production company is still labelled as Goodson-Todman.
*The original win graphic is still being used during the Showcase Showdown (the "Grand Game marquee" was definitely in use by May 25, 1984).
*The Phone Home Game's intro theme now plays when the $10,000 is found
*Most Expensive's second set is still in use.
*Most Expensive's price tags are still present on the Five Price Tags set.
*The Card Game is still referred to as the New Card Game.
*Other known upcoming changes like the revamped Penny Ante set, second .50 display on Check-Out, Bullseye arrow, and the first appearance of the Tugboat have not yet occurred as of this point.

Also, I noticed that 5153D (1/11/1984) is the latest known usage of The Feud cue during the reveal of the car on Ten Chances. The following episode also introduced the second Race Game Curtain.

During the latest playing of Walk of Fame (2/24/1984), Dianne Beatty's autograph was found in the books. In addition to Kyle, I also noticed Kristin Bjorklund as a guest model on another episode. She appeared occasionally as a sub on Card Sharks like Janice Baker, another one of the subs during the latest set.

5201D also mentioned that over $43 million had been given away on the daytime show up to that point.

Still, The Phone Home Game wouldn't ever have quite the overload like it did over the past several weeks of episodes, settling down to a weekly game for most of the rest of its run.
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #973 on: June 17, 2021, 07:21:37 PM »
#5214D: Is the rangefinder STILL not working? In this playing, the rangefinder is noticeably crooked again and stops moving a few moments before the contestant actually hits the button. Bob notices the early stop and takes a moment to observe just how badly off-kilter it looks, and for a moment, it seems like he might declare it a technical win right then and there. However, the contestant wins without a shadow of a doubt.

I think Bob definitely awards a win if the price had ended up being revealed around the top or the bottom of the rangefinder.  If it's a little off I guess it is what it is, but that look very bad.

With the revelation of all these episodes, it appears that there were several car games played 4th, including and especially 3 Strikes.  I understand that this might have been something that occurred every-so-often into Season 13 before it became common by the middle of the 2000s.  Looks like whenever this happened, it was within an episode that featured a cash game.

While I recalled 3 Strikes in the 4th slot in the opening week, I did not recall that game or Ten Chances or whatever else showing up at that spot
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline mellongraig

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #974 on: June 17, 2021, 10:04:16 PM »
With another set of 100 in, it's time to bring a sigh of relief when Pluto finally passes the end of GSN's lease, when on April 4, 2000, despite Price still remaining on its schedule over on its website for the last two weeks, it aired instead a double run of The Newlywed Game in its place. This season also brought Marc Breslow's first Emmy win for Best Individual Director, and it really continues to show with the quality camerawork.

As of February 27, 1984:

*The production company is still labelled as Goodson-Todman.
*The original win graphic is still being used during the Showcase Showdown (the "Grand Game marquee" was definitely in use by May 25, 1984).
*The Phone Home Game's intro theme now plays when the $10,000 is found
*Most Expensive's second set is still in use.
*Most Expensive's price tags are still present on the Five Price Tags set.
*The Card Game is still referred to as the New Card Game.
*Other known upcoming changes like the revamped Penny Ante set, second .50 display on Check-Out, Bullseye arrow, and the first appearance of the Tugboat have not yet occurred as of this point.

Also, I noticed that 5153D (1/11/1984) is the latest known usage of The Feud cue during the reveal of the car on Ten Chances. The following episode also introduced the second Race Game Curtain.

During the latest playing of Walk of Fame (2/24/1984), Dianne Beatty's autograph was found in the books. In addition to Kyle, I also noticed Kristin Bjorklund as a guest model on another episode. She appeared occasionally as a sub on Card Sharks like Janice Baker, another one of the subs during the latest set.

5201D also mentioned that over $43 million had been given away on the daytime show up to that point.

Still, The Phone Home Game wouldn't ever have quite the overload like it did over the past several weeks of episodes, settling down to a weekly game for most of the rest of its run.

In addition, as of February 27, 1984, the losing horns are still using 3 different versions since the show began (where version #1 would become the sole version soon afterward), versions 2 and 3 would make a comeback on the 80s Card Sharks, plus version 2 would be used on Bruce's Price is Right.