Author Topic: The Price is Right: The Barker Era on Pluto TV  (Read 361035 times)

Offline SuperMatch93

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: The Price is Right: The Barker Era on Pluto TV
« Reply #1290 on: June 26, 2022, 11:04:21 PM »
I will expect that game to be played on the January 3, 2023 episode for $200,000.  Each chip would be up to $40,000.

Yes you will.

Offline Chelsea

• Executive Producer
« Reply #1291 on: July 06, 2022, 10:40:26 PM »
With the first 200 shows now On Demand, going to make a couple of educated guesses:

New batch of eps sooner rather than later.
The first two cycles (S11 plus first S12 shows) will soon be On Demand-only (they've essentially stopped promoting S11 eps on social at all)

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #1292 on: July 07, 2022, 12:50:16 AM »
With the first 200 shows now On Demand, going to make a couple of educated guesses:

New batch of eps sooner rather than later.
The first two cycles (S11 plus first S12 shows) will soon be On Demand-only (they've essentially stopped promoting S11 eps on social at all)

Microphone Elbow lives on!

It makes sense to have to leave early episodes behind now, especially if they want to keep chugging along into 90s eps. We can't keep going back to square one forever.
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #1293 on: July 07, 2022, 01:07:14 AM »
My apologies for the double post, but just now I happened to take a look at the On Demand section, and I'm kicking myself for not noticing earlier. It's an excellent feature, with a pause button, zero lag, and a skip feature as well. Best of all, it's still free! Very pleased!
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #1294 on: July 07, 2022, 03:35:50 PM »
Well, that version of On Demand is the only “type” of On Demand that I’ve known and gotten used to!

I agree with Chelsea in terms of what I expect will happen going forward.  OTOH, I wouldn’t be shocked if Microphone Elbow and the Season 11 stuff remained.  Though I’d be surprised, as it would not make any sense.  I’ve often/always suggested that in time, there should be a second channel for the old content to be run non-stop while newer material entered the rotation.  That way, it’s not a month-plus wait between airings.

Speaking of newer material, someone at Discord mentioned a possibility of them releasing 200 shows instead of the usual 100.  Given it’s been quite a long time (now approaching half a year) since they’ve added to the rotation, it would be fair enough.  I actually thought of that myself prior to Memorial Day, which led to checking out stuff from Season 14 before those vanished (as a 200-episode drop should factor in 1986 content).

I guess we’ll find out what’s next.  It takes time to make sure everything is ready.  That I understand.  However, if efforts increase, then they might actually complete the final 25 seasons well before the middle of the century.  A little joke there (as their current process suggested a long time between present time and the end); we are still a long way from 2007.

Still a pleasant surprise for On Demand Price; I was not that optimistic it would ever happen (this soon)!
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline FanOfDrew87

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #1295 on: August 07, 2022, 12:17:30 PM »
I remember seeing an episode way back in the 1980s in which there was a young child in the studio audience, and Bob started a conversation with him, and the boy was offered a large assortment of toys which was revealed behind the giant price tag, and I think at least one or two models were standing alongside the toys.  I also believe one of the toys was a Transformers toy.  I am thinking the episode aired sometime in the mid-1980s - has Pluto TV aired this episode yet?

Offline urbanpreppie0004

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #1296 on: August 07, 2022, 03:02:55 PM »
Not to be that guy...but I dont think this happened...mainly because S&P rules they had back then strictly kept kids out for the most part.

Offline SamJ93

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #1297 on: August 07, 2022, 04:45:57 PM »
Not to be that guy...but I dont think this happened...mainly because S&P rules they had back then strictly kept kids out for the most part.

I don't think it was anything S&P-related, rather it was the show being so popular by that point that they needed every single seat in the audience and didn't want to waste them on minors who were automatically ineligible.

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #1298 on: August 07, 2022, 04:55:46 PM »
I have no problem being that guy. Kids were allowed in the audience until sometime in the late 80s or early 90s. Kathleen Bradley talks about it in her book; purportedly the decision to stop permitting under-18's was because of her kids not clapping/being enthusiastic enough.

Offline vnisanian2001

« Reply #1299 on: August 19, 2022, 10:50:36 AM »
Two things:

1) Apparently, the main reason why it's been six months and counting since any new content on Pluto has shown up is due to the passing of Mark Deetjen. Frematnle still doesn't have a replacement for their streaming division yet.

2) I was legit shocked to hear a rumor that any episodes with Bump as a pricing game will be skipped. That is the most ridiculous rumor I've ever heard relating to TPIR. Who started this rumor? Gregory Pearsoll?

Offline supersaver87

« Reply #1300 on: August 20, 2022, 02:56:42 AM »
I was legit shocked to hear a rumor that any episodes with Bump as a pricing game will be skipped. That is the most ridiculous rumor I've ever heard relating to TPIR.

Well, at least you acknowledge it.  :-P

Where exactly did you hear these? The first one is slightly plausible, the second is absolutely someone talking out of their hat.

Offline vnisanian2001

« Reply #1301 on: August 20, 2022, 03:14:29 AM »
Well, at least you acknowledge it.  :-P

Where exactly did you hear these? The first one is slightly plausible, the second is absolutely someone talking out of their hat.

https://gsparadise.proboards.com/post/63232/thread

Graig Mellon doesn't say for sure that the first one is officially the reason, but thinks that may be it (don't take this as an offense, Graig).

As for the second, I tried to ask that poster who spread those rumors about Bump, but didn't find out. But considering who claimed to have heard rumors about certain episodes of New $25K Pyramid and the final three months of Press Your Luck being damaged beyond repair, I had a hunch of who may have been the source of that rumor.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2022, 03:18:18 AM by vnisanian2001 »

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #1302 on: August 20, 2022, 10:15:09 PM »
But considering who claimed to have heard rumors about certain episodes of New $25K Pyramid and the final three months of Press Your Luck being damaged beyond repair, I had a hunch of who may have been the source of that rumor.

I genuinely have no idea what you're talking about here.  I can't even tell whether this is supposed to indicate that the rumor is probably true or that it probably isn't.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline FanOfDrew87

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #1303 on: August 24, 2022, 07:05:35 AM »
I don't buy Gregory Pearsoll's claims.  Never did, never will.  I am sure some of his past claims have been debunked in some form at some point.

Time will tell.  If we end up seeing an episode with Bump being played and/or Buzzr finally airs the final three months of Press Your Luck, then Gregory's claims will be proven false.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #1304 on: August 24, 2022, 04:30:29 PM »
Who the frig is Gregory Pearsoll? :confused:
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.