Author Topic: The Price is Right: The Barker Era on Pluto TV  (Read 360366 times)

gamesurf, jlgarfield and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
Re: The Price is Right: The Barker Era on Pluto TV
« Reply #1470 on: March 16, 2023, 03:30:19 PM »
Made a proof-of-concept edit to show how Bump might be able to be edited for content. Went from 1:28 to 1:02 after the cuts. Took about 15 minutes to do.

If you're a casual viewer who hasn't seen a ton of playings of Bump, would you be able to guess what was cut?

https://imgur.com/1udJTxZ

Answer: 20 seconds of Bob's comments about the models at the beginning were cut, the hip wiggle from Janice and Dian was zoomed in & cropped, and the bump itself was zoomed in to focus on the cars and not the model.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline UltraPrice

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #1471 on: March 16, 2023, 04:07:22 PM »
Roger has said on a Facebook post that he thinks people at Fremantle and/or PlutoTV are trying to be social warriors by demonstrating how "woke" they are

Offline LFAT since diapers

• 11/20/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #1472 on: March 16, 2023, 04:58:50 PM »
Roger has said on a Facebook post that he thinks people at Fremantle and/or PlutoTV are trying to be social warriors by demonstrating how "woke" they are

Perhaps, but this is not getting attention anywhere besides in our corner of fandom.

Given that the eps were digitized, announced and only pulled at the last leads me to believe either Bob or Dian ultimately made the call.

Offline UltraPrice

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #1473 on: March 16, 2023, 05:28:38 PM »
Perhaps, but this is not getting attention anywhere besides in our corner of fandom.

Given that the eps were digitized, announced and only pulled at the last leads me to believe either Bob or Dian ultimately made the call.
Does Dian even have the power to or anyone else besides Bob?

Offline Hockeyman

• In the Audience
« Reply #1474 on: March 16, 2023, 06:19:10 PM »
Made a proof-of-concept edit to show how Bump might be able to be edited for content. Went from 1:28 to 1:02 after the cuts. Took about 15 minutes to do.

If you're a casual viewer who hasn't seen a ton of playings of Bump, would you be able to guess what was cut?

https://imgur.com/1udJTxZ

Answer: 20 seconds of Bob's comments about the models at the beginning were cut, the hip wiggle from Janice and Dian was zoomed in & cropped, and the bump itself was zoomed in to focus on the cars and not the model.

I think it makes the clip more appropriate without effecting the playing however, if Bob told them to not show the game, there is a chance that the ban will stay.

Offline LFAT since diapers

• 11/20/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #1475 on: March 16, 2023, 07:40:31 PM »
Does Dian even have the power to or anyone else besides Bob?

Pure conjecture, but I assume Fremantle had to get releases from all involved as streaming was not part of the original Goodson-Todman agreements. Given several on-air flashpoints (especially for Bob and Dian) I assume they held vetoes, limited or unlimited.

Offline CJBojangles

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #1476 on: March 16, 2023, 07:42:45 PM »

If I rolled my eyes any harder they might fall out of my head.

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #1477 on: March 16, 2023, 09:12:40 PM »
Which means Roger is among the vast numbers of people who don't know what "woke" even means....

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #1478 on: March 16, 2023, 10:43:52 PM »
I'd be good with Gamesurf's solution, but I don't know if the people running the channel would want to go to that much trouble.

Can you post or link to the original video so we can compare them?
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Online gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #1479 on: March 16, 2023, 11:19:36 PM »
Sure, here's the original alongside the edit.

https://streamable.com/wghkmr

PlutoTV, if you're reading this, happy to volunteer and DMs are always open :-D
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #1480 on: March 17, 2023, 05:11:02 AM »
I'm don't know why I didn't realize this earlier, but now I believe that episodes with Shower Game playings were purposely blocked from being played on Game Show Network. Didn't want to relive THAT controversy again!

Now, was Telephone Game blocked or did all three playings happened to be on episodes in which a fur was given away? 🤔
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline actual_retail_tice

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #1481 on: March 17, 2023, 05:29:53 AM »
In one of the new shows last night (#5753D) they played 4-digit Money Game with the board set up for a 5-digit price, leaving an extra space hanging out behind the back of the car. I thought Bob paused just a split second while he was explaining where the cards go on the board but decided not to say anything about it.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #1482 on: March 17, 2023, 09:51:37 AM »
In addition to the Money Game info mentioned above, the same episode of 5753D features the debut of the red seats for the studio audience.

Simultaneously (05.29.85), the red CBS eye curtains make their first appearance.  During the opening, while no mention was made about the new seats, Bob did make reference to the new curtains (as only he can LOL).

One more thing about Money Game.  They're using the foghorn when the game is lost.  Not the first or the last time they've used it
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #1483 on: March 17, 2023, 01:28:55 PM »
I believe we also just saw Penny Ante get its final(?) paint job, correct? The scenery and set people were busy during that short taping break.
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.

Offline jericho

• Outside in Line
« Reply #1484 on: March 17, 2023, 02:05:13 PM »
Which means Roger is among the vast numbers of people who don't know what "woke" even means....

A word is defined by what its common usage by the public is. "Cool" originally meant something with a low temperature. Then it transformed into being a status of popularity.  Gay used to mean happy.  Now it means something else.  Woke may have started out as one meaning but its meaning has changed over time. The way Roger uses it is common now among Conservatives and the Right.