Author Topic: What game shows would you like to see return?  (Read 1372 times)

Online LiteBulb88

• 4/15/19
  • TPiR Alumnus
Re: What game shows would you like to see return?
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2020, 12:27:46 PM »
Something I always wondered when watching AG: are you supposed to root for the Gladiators or the contenders?

A large part of the brilliance of the original AG was that they didn't make the Gladiators out to be bad guys; sure, there were character tropes, but not the type that would make you want to root against them. The competition was the focal point of the show, not the Gladiators or contenders, and that fact was missed by 90s AG clones and by the 2008 NBC remake. SI had a really good article about this where they interviewed past Gladiators and show runners:

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2016/07/06/american-gladiators-games-cast-history-episodes

Offline danderson400

• In the Audience
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2020, 11:08:21 AM »
As someone who watched the  original AG in original broadcast(on WLOS out of Asheville NC) I'd agree. It was even more noticeable, when i saw the USA reruns. Not only did they not make them bad guys, but sometimes it worked to the contenders advantage.  One thing i liked was that they did not trash talk each other, like WWF did.

Offline superballfan

• In the Audience
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2021, 02:42:32 PM »
Starcade. Lets bring back the old school arcade games.

Offline JhayPrice

• Walking the Golden Road
  • The contestant must win, must always win.
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2021, 06:40:16 PM »
$ale of the ¢entury never gets old for any era, so it would be great if it returns some time, the budget would be now bigger for the prizes and bargains!

Now that ABC had PYL, Card Sharks, Pyramid, Match Game, TTTT, Feud and Millionaire within the rotation, they could bring in a revival of HS (Davidson/'90s Bergeron format) to mix things up.

Now, how would you reimagine Tattletales returning? Could they still base it off of the Convy format, or rework it in today's style of programming?

Offline tdawgg3x

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2021, 11:15:00 PM »
Here are my choices--

1]  Blockbusters
2]  Tic Tac Dough
3]  Concentration
4]  Starcade
5]  Tattletales
6]  Bullseye
7]  Match Game/Hollywood Squares Hour
8]  Whew!
9]  Caesars Challenge
10]  Battlestars