Author Topic: What game shows would you like to see return?  (Read 4272 times)

Offline EaglesWings4500

• In the Audience
What game shows would you like to see return?
« on: December 10, 2020, 10:37:28 PM »
With ABC bringing back game shows, which game shows would you like to see return either in the summer or during the fall or spring.   

My choices

1) Play the Percentages

2) Scrabble

3) Talk About

4) Scattergories

5) Lingo

6) Hot Potato

7) Tic Tac Dough

8) Sale The Century

9) High Rollers

Offline EaglesWings4500

• In the Audience
Re: What game shows would you like to see return?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2020, 10:42:52 PM »
if I think of orders I will add them

Offline EaglesWings4500

• In the Audience
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2020, 10:51:57 PM »
10) Classic Concentration

Offline Superballer

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2020, 11:09:02 AM »
All good options.  Besides they, I wouldn't mind seeing revivals of: 

-Bumper Stumpers; main game basically the same as it was for most of the run, with the addition that if a third super stumper is needed, it'll be sudden death, with each symbol in the plate except for the last one revealed one at a time until someone buzzes in with the correct answer; if neither do, another tiebreaking super stumper is played until someone does win.  Bonus round would be in 2 parts; as with 1986 Card Sharks, the first would be for cash--solve 7 plates in 45 or 60 seconds and win $10,000 or more--and the second would be for a car--an updated Final Stumper with a graduated set of odds (i.e., a first time player would find a board with 6 stop signs and one Win or Car screen behind the S.T. U, M, P, E, and R; if they pick the right screen, they win the car and retire; otherwise, if they make it a second time, one stop sign gets replaced with another Win/Car screen, and so on until they win it automatically if they win 7 games) 

-Caesar's Challenge; the concept could work divorced from Caesars Palace, perhaps on a set that looks like a Roman forum or colisseum.  Main game would be more or less the same; use the first bonus round, with, as the previous example, if they make it 9 straight wins, thus earning all 9 letters in the final word, they win the car automatically 

-Trump Card; same logic as above, since it would not have to be at a Trump property.  Tighten the main game; first round is to be the first to make a line across the center of their card.  First contestant to make it across and whoever's further along among the other two contestants after time's called move on to round two, which is a race to cover as much of the card as possible.  Player furthest along at the end of the round moves onto the final round, which would be more or less the same 

-Wipeout; no real need to change anything in this case 

-The Big Showdown; I've only seen the episode where Jim Peck falls coming down the stairs, but the concept looks like it could be a winner mostly as it was 

-Whew(!); throw in a facet along the lines of a "block breaker," for the charger to use (but only once per charge) to even out the main game's odds a little bit, and otherwise it would be great as it was 

-Crosswits; base it off Jack Clark's version's rules, but keep David Sparks' graphics

Offline ironman00710

• TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2020, 11:31:41 AM »

-The Big Showdown; I've only seen the episode where Jim Peck falls coming down the stairs, but the concept looks like it could be a winner mostly as it was 

I believe maybe two more full episodes exist on YouTube. I thought this show was pretty good from what I saw.

Love the discovery of new game shows on Youtube, since most aired when I was either a youth, or years before I was born. Discovered the existence of "Whew!" and "High Rollers" through Wink Martindale's channel. Liked the concept of both; would love to see those return someday in some capacity.

Offline geniusinmath

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Hi I didn't see you there. I'm Michael.
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2020, 12:01:21 PM »
1. Tic Tac Dough
2. Scrabble
3. Now You See It
4. Twenty-One
5. Bullseye
6. Shop til you drop
7. Friend or Foe
8. Russian Roulette
9. Classic Concentration
10. Trivial Pursuit

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2020, 01:23:04 PM »
1. Tic Tac Dough
2. Scrabble
3. Now You See It
4. Twenty-One
5. Bullseye
6. Shop til you drop
7. Friend or Foe
8. Russian Roulette
9. Classic Concentration
10. Trivial Pursuit

Pretty much what I'd go with.  Though I might swap Twenty-One out and put in Password instead.  Just my preference
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline LiteBulb88

• 4/15/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2020, 01:57:56 PM »
If we're allowed to dream...

Remote Control

Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?

Legends of the Hidden Temple (I know Quibi was planning to reboot this, but Quibi is no more.)

Masters of the Maze

Ideally, those last three would now be designed for and have (nostalgic) adults as contestants.

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2020, 04:43:04 PM »
How about Beat the Clock, or Split Second? (two game shows that were hosted by the late, great Monty Hall)

Offline EaglesWings4500

• In the Audience
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2020, 09:33:05 PM »
I also remember Bumper Stumpers. Remote Control, Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?  Beat The clock. Legends of the Hidden Temple

It seemed like I read someplace an few years ago that they were bringing Carmen Sandiego Back.

I also would like to see Password, Caesar's Challenge, BlockBusters

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2020, 11:26:35 PM »
I'd enjoy seeing another American Gladiators, one more true to the original version rather than the NBC reboot.

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2020, 11:31:56 PM »
I'd enjoy seeing another American Gladiators

Something I always wondered when watching AG: are you supposed to root for the Gladiators or the contenders?
Fun fact: Evelyn Wong, the 5th person to be called on the first show (9/4/72), was actually the very first contestant to directly be called to come on down!  The original first four (Sandy Flornor, Paul Levine, Connie Donnel, Myra Carter) were individually told to stand up, and then, as a group, were invited to come on down.

Offline Reloaden

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2020, 03:51:48 AM »
Password/Million Dollar Password- It would be interesting to use the Million Dollar Password format and use Password Plus end game.
Sale Of The Century
Lingo
Classic Concentration
Hollywood Squares
Greed (Loved that show)

Online pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2020, 11:47:17 AM »
I'll pick one per decade:

50s: What's My Line? How this show hasn't returned with new episodes after 45 years is beyond me, given how iconic it was for its 25 years on the air, despite the failed pilots and stage shows.

60s: Seven Keys. I always liked Chutes and Ladders growing up, and I'd revise this where instead you get a limited amount of turns, there would be two players competition against each other, where the champion risks his/her keys on the line while playing his/her opponent. Its too bad almost nothing of this show exists despite a decent three-year run.

70s: Jackpot. It's just a fun game with all of the riddles, the multiple contestants, and the various bonuses to be found.

80s: Classic Concentration. Now that we've seen a good portion of the late Alex Trebek's run, now its time to get some new, fresh material out there.

90s: Nick Arcade. It was such a travesty that first-run production lasted just two seasons, ending before the 16-bit era was even half over. I'd make it a version for adults who can tackle multiple genres and eras.

00s: 1 vs. 100. It's a really neat concept having a giant gauntlet against a single player, and I'd rank it right up there with Greed and 5th Grader as best Millionaire clone.

10s: Family Game Night. The variety of games similar to Price, along with the cool interactions helped to make this the most fun original show of the past decade.

Something I always wondered when watching AG: are you supposed to root for the Gladiators or the contenders?

I tended to go back and forth, but with a slight preference for the contenders, since they were seen as the "good guys/gals".
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2020, 11:52:27 AM »
Good question-- I think there were Gladiators that were the good guy/woman and others that were the bad guy/woman, and for the most part we were supposed to root for the contenders unless they were too cocky or something like that. I just liked the action, and in most cases I was fine with either the Gladiator or the contender winning in each event.