Author Topic: Changes I've noticed  (Read 3799 times)

Offline ssetta

• Walking the Golden Road
Changes I've noticed
« on: January 03, 2021, 11:28:42 PM »
Sometimes when you've only seen new episodes of a certain series, you've forgotten what things used to be like. And now that I've seen a good amount of old episodes on Pluto TV, there's things I noticed Bob used to do that Drew I don't think has ever done.

If someone spins a high number in their first spin in the SCSD, Drew will say, "95 cents, you're on your way to the Showcase!" In this same situation, Bob would say "You don't want to spin anymore, do you? Nooooo."

I also noticed that back in those days, they really didn't take a lot of time for contestants to say hi to people. They mostly just focused on gameplay. Kind of similar to what they did on the Thanksgiving Eve episode last season.

And then of course there was the old Range Game joke where Bob would say "we can't start it again for 37 hours." I think he used to say something different each time but I think after awhile it was always 37 hours.

And don't forget when Pushover debuted, I think Bob would say the blocks go directly to China.

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Changes I've noticed
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2021, 10:31:06 AM »
If someone spins a high number in their first spin in the SCSD, Drew will say, "95 cents, you're on your way to the Showcase!" In this same situation, Bob would say "You don't want to spin anymore, do you? Nooooo."

For some reason, I'm picturing a Family Guy parody where Peter Griffin gets on the show and demands to spin when he has 95 cents, even though he has won free and clear. He's that greedy to get $1 and thus the $1,000 bonus (with the chance to spin for up to $25,000. He does the old "If you're scared, buy a dog"-type routine and spins again ... .

I also noticed that back in those days, they really didn't take a lot of time for contestants to say hi to people. They mostly just focused on gameplay. Kind of similar to what they did on the Thanksgiving Eve episode last season.

But notice that Bob did take time to banter with the contestants. This often included contestants taking the opportunity to talk about family and say hello if desired. It may be an episode or so that you viewed was maybe was a bit rushed for some reason. I think it was Bob's natural charisma and radio training, plus his years of experience hosting Truth Or Consequences, that resulted in his interviews with the contestants, both on stage and in Contestants' Row.

Brian

Offline Grand_game2004

• Double Showcase Winner
  • GEORGE GRAY IS A W E S O M E!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2021, 11:24:16 AM »
For some reason, I'm picturing a Family Guy parody where Peter Griffin gets on the show and demands to spin when he has 95 cents, even though he has won free and clear. He's that greedy to get $1 and thus the $1,000 bonus (with the chance to spin for up to $25,000. He does the old "If you're scared, buy a dog"-type routine and spins again ... .

Kinda reminds me of the episode where he drinks red bull, and he gets all hyper..... Funniest thing I've ever seen.

Offline RatRace10

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2021, 12:35:33 PM »

And in all the Dice Games I've seen on Pluto, rolls of one or six would go like this...

"Is it a one?"
[buzzer]
"No. Higher or lower than one?"
"Higher."
"Right, because I explained at the beginning of the game that there are no zeroes."

Whereas today...

"Is it a one?"
[buzzer]
"No, but we know it's got to be higher."

Obvious or no-choice decisions still had to be made back then, instead of being made by default like now.

I also notice that in Lucky Seven, when somebody wins on the last number, Bob would count the remaining dollars from the last guess and only then would they sound the bells and music, unlike today where they sound as soon as the number is revealed if the contestant is close enough to have $1 left.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2021, 12:37:01 PM »
And in all the Dice Games I've seen on Pluto, rolls of one or six would go like this...

"Is it a one?"
[buzzer]
"Higher."
"Right, because I explained at the beginning of the game that there are no zeroes."

Whereas today...

"Is it a one?"
[buzzer]

I thought of that earlier, although I thought Drew has at times used that same interplay too here and there, but could be wrong.

Offline jhc2010

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2021, 02:12:52 PM »
Bob would specifically mention face cards in his card game rules. Listen carefully and you’ll notice Drew makes no mention of face cards.

Offline BDE

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2021, 02:34:42 PM »
True. I take it coronavirus changes are still in place. I'm just glad Golden-Road.net is back. Last time I visited, I got a message saying that the domain expired. Does Golden-Road.net ALWAYS expire?

Offline name456

• In the Audience
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2021, 04:27:01 PM »
Bob was so much better at the wheel, explaining what is happening, how the contestant’s game went, letting the contestant talk if they wish, etc. Drew just says, “Who you wanna say hi to?” every single time.

Bob explained the rules more clearly, but he was there when these games and the wheel debuted.

Offline PunchABunchFan

• Outside in Line
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2021, 05:46:39 PM »

"Is it a one?"
[buzzer]
"Higher."

Whereas today...

"Is it a one?"
[buzzer]

Obvious or no-choice decisions still had to be made back then, instead of being made by default like now.

This Dice Game changed bothered me in the past, but now I look at it this way:  The show is minutes shorter now than it was in Bob's day.  I'd rather do 1s and 6s the way Drew does them now and keep time elsewhere in the show to have more interactions, funny moments, etc., than playing out what is a known conclusion in a way that takes longer.

Quoting fixed by Steve.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 07:19:52 PM by SteveGavazzi »

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2021, 05:51:22 PM »
I also notice that in Lucky Seven, when somebody wins on the last number, Bob would count the remaining dollars from the last guess and only then would they sound the bells and music, unlike today where they sound as soon as the number is revealed if the contestant is close enough to have $1 left.

I actually think in ways this is an improvement. Like there was one episode particularly I saw, where the contestant was clearly gonna win with a 5 guess on last number, was almost guaranteed, and there was a moment of pause still as Bob counted the dollars remaining still on the reveal. Made what shoulda been exciting, fairly anti-climatic IMO. Maybe I'm alone  in that, but it kinda felt awkward.

Quote attribution fixed by Steve.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 07:20:51 PM by SteveGavazzi »

Offline name456

• In the Audience
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2021, 03:48:19 PM »
When was the rule changed when you couldn’t be a politician? I just saw an episode where the mayor of Lenoir, NC was called on down.

Offline jhc2010

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2021, 08:30:29 AM »
The numbers in 3 Strikes were not in numerical order when being placed in the bag at the beginning of the game. Anyone know when they began revealing the numbers in the price of the prize in numerical order?