Author Topic: Alex Trebek's Final 'Jeopardy!' Episode  (Read 2177 times)

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
Alex Trebek's Final 'Jeopardy!' Episode
« on: January 08, 2021, 07:28:50 PM »
I watched the episode earlier today. The short tribute video at the end, also posted on Twitter, was touching. It brought back great and fun memories and definitely reminded us of Alex's lighter side. However, besides the fact that it was Alex's final one, two things have me a bit sad at the moment. It was supposed to air on December 25th of last year, so him saying "Merry Christmas" with us now in January just felt odd. Secondly, of course he, the others who work on the show, and all of us didn't know that this would be his last one. He didn't get the chance to give a proper farewell. :-(  *sighs deeply*

What a run though. Think of all the changes in our lives those of a certain age (like myself) have seen just since he began hosting J! in 1984. And think of all those fans who have never known life without him hosting!

Again, R.I.P. Mr. Trebek. 

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Alex Trebek's Final 'Jeopardy!' Episode
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2021, 07:56:57 PM »
Knowing it was coming, it still wrecked me emotionally. As soon as the tribute began, the tears came.

Online Plinkoman

• 5/28/19
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2021, 08:11:25 PM »
The tribute was wonderful. It showed Alex's personality and great sense of humor. Mom was crying and I was tearing up while watching it.

One of, if not the best, game show host of all time. Classy, witty, and professional.
2,884 days until I am re-eligible to be a contestant on The Price Is Right!

No longer a Push Over!

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Best in the World
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2021, 08:48:27 PM »
I wasn't prepared for this.

:cry:

To the undisputed Greatest of All Time, may you rest in peace, until we meet again.
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Online RatRace10

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2021, 09:01:50 PM »
I don't watch Jeopardy! very often since it's not my favorite game show, but I did watch it tonight for Alex.

I was not prepared for that montage. They chose the perfect song for it, too.

Offline JhayPrice

• Walking the Golden Road
  • The contestant must win, must always win.
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2021, 09:14:12 PM »
They greatly honored Alex the best way possible, and "Once Before I Go" just made me shed tears. Undeniably, he's the GOAT of the show he made. I know he'd forever be the champ of answers and questions up there. RIP Alex.

Offline tpirguyMN

• In the Audience
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2021, 09:42:21 PM »
A great video!  Definitely was a fitting tribute.  It was amazing watching Alex host like no other could do even knowing everything he was going through with his health.

RIP to the greatest!

Here's wishing the best of luck to Ken Jennings next week.  Even though he is only a temporary host, he has such big shoes to try and fill, much like Drew did.

Offline Superballer

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2021, 09:56:00 PM »
It was a well-done tribute indeed, and I like that it did have a lighter component to it.  While I myself did not cry, I did have a heavy feeling nonetheless knowing this is the end, for he and in a way perhaps for all of us in our journey through the world. 

Online LiteBulb88

• 4/15/19
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2021, 11:10:14 PM »
Jeopardy! has posted the end-of-episode tribute to their Youtube channel:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arsStQAhHVA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arsStQAhHVA</a>
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 11:14:42 PM by LiteBulb88 »

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2021, 11:29:23 PM »
The tribute was very nice, I liked that it was more light-hearted. For me his sign off was sadder, even though he didn't yet know it would be his last one it did have a little bit of a sense that he might've known it could be. A true class act, thank you Alex. It was a pleasure to watch you every weeknight.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2021, 11:39:54 PM »
What a fantastic ending! I shed a tear or two but no legit crying.  I was still super-emotional as much as I was early in November.  From knowing that it was officially ending to the point where itís officially over, there goes a part of life that is gone forever.  There are eras that come and go, and then there is this
one.  As mentioned, Alex was the best, full of class and charisma.  A major icon all around!

It will be tough for the successors, but in my opinion, itíll be a lot tougher than it was for Bob.  It took time for Drew after his debut but not too long.  Whatever happens and whoever succeeds Alex, I believe Jeopardy will be okay down the road.  Itíll be exactly what Alex would want when we get to that point.
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline Grand_game2004

• Double Showcase Winner
  • GEORGE GRAY IS A W E S O M E!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2021, 12:49:08 AM »
What a fitting tribute to one of the greatest TV game show hosts of all time. I almost had tears in my eyes near the ending. Yet, I know that I'm up late with a heavy heart knowing that he has passed from this world. What a warrior he was. He, his coworkers, and his family & friends are in my heart right now. It'll be interesting to find out who's going to replace him (and I'm sure that we all agree that he is irreplaceable), because whoever is doing it has huge shoes to fill, and I wish the best of luck to those who are guest hosting the show!!!

Alex, may you rest in peace, my friend.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2021, 12:06:47 PM »
^Ken Jennings is confirmed to be the first interim host starting this Monday, and Katie Couric is reported to be the next one but it hasn't been confirmed.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2021, 01:57:37 PM »
Iím a little torn in my emotional reaction. On the one hand, it was tremendously sad he didnít get to say the goodbye he had thought about. On the other, he didnít reach the gut-wrenching point of having to make the decision to step away from his beloved show.

I know come Monday itís going to be bizarre to hear Ken introduced. One more connection I once had to my own father, enjoying the show and Alex so much, gone. Silly as that may sound, I often did think about how much he would have enjoyed Ken and James, the GOAT tournament and other moments.

Given the circumstances, Ken has a temporary job that may be among the hardest in TV. Whatever he does that resembles Alex will be criticized by some as imitating. Whatever he does thatís different will be criticized as not being sufficiently respectful. That would be true regardless, but with Alex not being able to have given up the reins of his own choosing, and the raw emotions, itís magnified exponentially.

I do believe he could do the job. I happen to think Brad would be even better. But by no means do I think the search should be limited to people with a connection to the show, no more than it was in 1984. Outside the ďfamily,Ē I think there are also a plethora of potential hosts. No one needs to be Alex, they just need to bring the dedication to the game, in their own persona. Something tells me thatís what he would have wanted.

Offline Spmahn

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2021, 01:58:38 PM »
I was bummed that he didnít pretape a farewell especially given the uncertainty of Covid, but it was a lovely send off regardless. Looking forward to seeing how Ken does next week, Iíve heard conflicting reports, the producers apparently stated that theyíve filmed 30 shows so far with Ken, but Iíve also heard that they only have three weeks currently in the bag, and that the show has been on a Covid shutdown for a few weeks now, so I guess weíll see. Iíd be fine with more weeks of Best Of Alex shows if thatís how it shakes out.