Author Topic: Celebrity versions of game shows (that'd didn't have a celebrity week)  (Read 3227 times)

Offline jlgarfield

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Rider Pride!
Hi, guys. I sometimes think about game shows that didn't do celebrity weeks - and one show I was thinking of yesterday was the short-lived 1999-2000 show Greed.

How would Celebrity Greed work? All I know is that, even if a contestant gets a Q wrong, they still get a designated amount for their charities.

Another idea I had for a Celebrity $ale of the Century; celebs play for viewers at home, much like its fellow Reg Grundy stablemate Scrabble did. :)

Offline JhayPrice

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: Celebrity versions of game shows (that'd didn't have a celebrity week)
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2021, 09:53:54 PM »
With the exclusion of the 2006 G$M, the original and the current revival of PYL's run never had any celebrity playing for charity, along with Tic Tac Dough, Match Game (2 more celebrities as contestants), Blockbusters, Concentration, LMAD, Deal or No Deal and Lingo.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2021, 10:20:10 PM »
With the exclusion of the 2006 G$M, the original and the current revival of PYL's run never had any celebrity playing for charity, along with Tic Tac Dough, Match Game (2 more celebrities as contestants), Blockbusters, Concentration, LMAD, Deal or No Deal and Lingo.

Lingo you could say did, when they did the April Fool's special in I believe 2003 featuring all GSN Original hosts at the time.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2021, 10:57:48 PM »
I don't believe Supermarket Sweep (the Lifetime/PAX version and the current ABC version) or Shop Til You Drop ever did a celebrity episode/week either.

Offline bigblue999

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • No Flags
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2021, 11:53:11 PM »
I don't believe Supermarket Sweep (the Lifetime/PAX version and the current ABC version) or Shop Til You Drop ever did a celebrity episode/week either.

Shop Til You Drop did a Christmas special with celebrity teammates.

CSS XIII Silver Medalist

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2021, 12:03:34 AM »
Shop Til You Drop did a Christmas special with celebrity teammates.

Wow they had 4 teams here? That seems really strange. Wasn't expecting that.

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2021, 01:36:04 AM »
Lingo you could say did, when they did the April Fool's special in I believe 2003 featuring all GSN Original hosts at the time.

April 1, 2003. It was Woolery hosting; Todd Newton announcing; Mark L. Walberg and Marc Summers on one team; Kennedy and Graham Elwood on the other.

This was also the same day that Friend or Foe? aired its last episode (with Mark hosting), along with WinTuition (which Kennedy hosted). Cram died in September, Whammy in July and Russian Roulette in June.

GSN has never been the same since.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 01:45:24 AM by Roadgeek Adam »
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline Ivoryman86

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2021, 01:50:06 AM »
April 1, 2003. It was Woolery hosting; Todd Newton announcing; Mark L. Walberg and Marc Summers on one team; Kennedy and Graham Elwood on the other.

This was also the same day that Friend or Foe? aired its last episode (with Mark hosting), along with WinTuition (which Kennedy hosted). Cram died in September, Whammy in July and Russian Roulette in June.

GSN has never been the same since.
Actually, Whammy died in December of that year as there were some previously unaired episodes, Lingo did have celebrity specials in future seasons. The one other show I can think of never had a celebrity special was Child's Play, though the children eventually become celebrities later in their lives.

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2021, 08:54:34 AM »
I'd add Hollywood Squares to the "two more stars" pile, though I'd do it where I'd allow the announcer to take the place of one of the stars for each show, with a total of ten different stars playing for charity each week.

Celebrity Newlywed Game would be interesting to watch, with points being multiplied by a certain amount and going to charity.

I'm not sure if Name That Tune ever had a celebrity edition, but it would truly be interesting how much your favorite singer knows about certain genres/songs compared to what many fans think. For instance, a rapper would probably fare poorly with country songs, Billie Ellish couldn't name any Motown classics, while Bruce Springsteen probably couldn't name 21st century tunes. In addition to charity, I'd also play for tickets/VIP experiences for contest entrants, where if the winner wins the Golden Medley, a larger amount of sweepstakes winners would be presented, and could even include fan memorabilia as well.
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline name456

• In the Audience
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2021, 02:08:37 PM »

I don’t recall if the original Supermarket Sweep did either. Sadly many of the series prior to the 80s are gone, restricted to TV Guides and fading memories (like mine).

What about Three on a Match? Loved that game, but school got in the way of most of it.

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2021, 10:14:43 PM »
Celebrity Newlywed Game would be interesting to watch, with points being multiplied by a certain amount and going to charity.

GSN did (I believe) two celebrity episodes of The Newlywed Game.
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2021, 10:19:55 PM »
Wow, had no idea about the Stop Til You Drop celebrity special, and four teams at that.

I'd add Hollywood Squares to the "two more stars" pile, though I'd do it where I'd allow the announcer to take the place of one of the stars for each show, with a total of ten different stars playing for charity each week.

The Bergeron Hollywood Squares had at least a few celebrity contestant weeks, I remember one specifically where radio hosts/DJs were the contestants. The GSN Newlywed Game had celebrity couples at least once, including notably George Takei and his partner as the first gay couple to be contestants. There were also two episodes where Bob Eubanks returned to host, one had Carnie Wilson (the regular host at the time) and her family as contestants and the other had Wink Martindale, Marty Hall, and Peter Marshall appearing with their wives.

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2021, 10:56:55 AM »
I'm not sure if Name That Tune ever had a celebrity edition, but it would truly be interesting how much your favorite singer knows about certain genres/songs compared to what many fans think.

Supposedly – at least according to Wikipedia's article – the Kennedy version of NTT had special celebrity weeks from 1978-1981. Here's the conclusion I drew from reading said article, assuming a 39-week season:

* Each season had four "nine week" tournaments of regular contestants playing for $100,000; this made up 36 episodes.
* The remaining three weeks were celebrity specials, with the celebrities playing for charity. (No idea what the rules/top prizes were for the celebrity weeks; if someone who has seen these shows can fill us in that'd be great.)
* Thirteen weeks of summer reruns, likely consisting of tournament semifinals and finals from the past season, and one of the celebrity weeks.

I've never heard of any celebrity weeks taking place during the 1984-1985 Jim Lange run, so I'm assuming there were none. I cannot speak for any other versions (the 1953-1959 run or the little-known 1970-1971 Richard Hayes version), although it seems extremely unlikely.

Brian
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 11:01:01 AM by Briguy »

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2021, 11:11:32 AM »

Just to clarify, I presume you are talking about the 1970s "Match Game" (and subsequent revivals) where there were no celebrities as contestants (the 2006 G$M episode excluded). As the original 1960s version had multiple weeks where everyone played for charity. (Including one widely-circulated episode from 1964 that has been on YouTube for many years; there was also a 1965 episode where baseball greats of the era played that has cropped up on YouTube.)

"Concentration" – the original NBC version had those special charity episodes, including the ones where the celebrities dressed as Santa Claus and aired the last few days before Christmas. Again, these have been placed on YouTube; at least the 1965, 1968 and 1969 episodes exist (all as black-and-white kineoscopes), with additional shows airing until 1972. Proceeds from these shows went to CARE, which were actually used to build schools in Africa.