Author Topic: Daytime ratings Jan. 4-8: Price down but still on top  (Read 5396 times)

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
Daytime ratings Jan. 4-8: Price down but still on top
« on: January 18, 2021, 05:40:24 PM »
From Soap Opera Network: in largest part, ratings vs.the same time last year (Jan. 6-10) were down in both total viewers and women 18-49, but Price remains in the top two spots in total viewers. It took in 4.6 million viewers for the second half hour and 4.2 million for the first. In the women 18-49 demo, the first half of Price came in third behind ABC's The View, which saw its total audience (3.1 million) up 26% vs. last year and the demo  (320,000) up 20% from last year. In the demo, Price's second half took in 334,000 (down 3% from '20) and the first drew 301,000 (down 6% from '20).

The biggest ratings loser was CBS's The Talk, coming in dead last in total viewers and the demo, down 32% and 29% respectively.
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Daytime ratings Jan. 4-8: Price down but still on top
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2021, 07:48:09 AM »
I'm actually a bit surprised overall ratings are down given more people are staying at home compared to this time last year where we were just starting to hear about that novel virus. Last summer, prior to an office meeting, I noticed one of the hosts for the meeting had Price on prior to the start of the meeting. Its still good to be #1 anyways, and nobody really knows the true ratings since anyone with a computer can just watch any network show anywhere.
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline JonCarmen

• Outside in Line
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2021, 01:38:16 PM »
I'm actually a bit surprised overall ratings are down given more people are staying at home compared to this time last year where we were just starting to hear about that novel virus. Last summer, prior to an office meeting, I noticed one of the hosts for the meeting had Price on prior to the start of the meeting. Its still good to be #1 anyways, and nobody really knows the true ratings since anyone with a computer can just watch any network show anywhere.

I'm not. Price is crowd-dependent. It's not the same. Throw in contestants that were emotionally manufactured for the last several years, and it exacerbates the lack of a crowd. Then you got Drew lecturing us on wearing masks. Never mind the fact that most contestants when I was watching, the models and Drew were not wearing masks.

I myself will not watch Price until normal returns.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2021, 02:14:30 PM »
Being home and choosing to watch the TV, or being able to, are not the same.
 And beyond that, people are slowly trickling back to workplaces depending on the region. I’ve been working remotely for months. Key word- working. I have a TV nearby but only turn it on for news while eating or major breaking events. Otherwise I’m working. Same as at a workplace.

Factor in news as well. There’s been more than a bit going on lately that may drive those who are able to run a TV while home might choose some kind of news coverage.

Offline BillyGr

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2021, 04:31:38 PM »
Then you got Drew lecturing us on wearing masks. Never mind the fact that most contestants when I was watching, the models and Drew were not wearing masks.

He has explained (though probably not every show) that they do wear masks except the times they are on camera.

Offline JonCarmen

• Outside in Line
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2021, 04:35:12 PM »
He has explained (though probably not every show) that they do wear masks except the times they are on camera.

I am aware of that. However, it's not like COVID isn't going to not spread when the camera lights are on.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2021, 06:01:47 PM »
Thus the distanced staging.

But really, we’re supposed to think a friendly throwaway line at the end of the show is somehow driving down viewership? Not that maybe as a topical show in times like these that The View would add viewers? And that’s limiting to broadcast, which is a flawed comparison to begin with.

Offline JonCarmen

• Outside in Line
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2021, 08:50:39 PM »
Thus the distanced staging.

Then why does the City of Baltimore require masks to be worn outside regardless of social distancing?

But really, we’re supposed to think a friendly throwaway line at the end of the show is somehow driving down viewership? Not that maybe as a topical show in times like these that The View would add viewers? And that’s limiting to broadcast, which is a flawed comparison to begin with.

It's a combination of things. The View is different because of its political nature. The beauty with Price was that it was apolitical. Not anymore.

Offline EvilChameleon

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2021, 09:01:42 PM »
Wearing a mask or reminding people to wear a mask isn't a political statement. Shame on you for thinking so.

Offline name456

• In the Audience
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2021, 09:05:05 PM »
Wearing a mask or reminding people to wear a mask isn't a political statement. Shame on you for thinking so.

Actually, it can be. For every study that says they work, another says they don’t. Besides, haven’t we been lectured enough on this? People either will or they won’t. Price is not a political show, it’s supposed to be fun and a brief escape from our lives.

Offline shell_game

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2021, 09:49:48 PM »
While I can see some folks interpreting Drew's statement as political, I really don't think that is what he means. I think he feels he is promoting what he believes to be an aid in getting us through this mess. I'm sure in the day some were put off by Bob talking about spaying and neutering pets. I certainly know that my father took him as a bit of nut for it at the time. For that and the fur flak with the Miss USA pageant.

In any case, I was still recording and watching  Price every day until this season. I'm still working from home. And as I was telling my wife the other day, although it seems like we should have more time/freedom/flexibility to do more, we're somehow accomplishing less. I think a lot of it is that our work takes more time to do from home. But something is off about our entire operation.

More Price-specific, I thought that the novelty of seeing how they would adapt would interest me, but it isn't enough to keep me pulled in. I don't miss the audience really, as it has seemed too over-the-top in recent years and actually seems to distract from game play. But at the same time, I really don't need a reminder that the life of the party has been sucked out of the Price room like it has so many other places. And that is what the lack of audience signals to me. So I choose to head over to Pluto TV to watch a Bob episode for what seems the 100th time again. Or with my wife we've started to watch Dallas (we're up to Who Shot JR?) instead. I'd prefer the comfort food.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2021, 09:53:48 PM »
If you view Drew's statement as political, you're probably one of the people who most needs to listen to him.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2021, 09:55:16 PM »
It's either Price goes along with extremely strict guidelines so they have no chance of getting sued due to someone getting COVID or you get absolutely no new episodes of Price. I think the impact of having absolutely nothing from last June to at least this September isn't an option if Price wants to survive. In addition, Drew has expressed his willingness to refuse to show up if there were no guidelines in place, so I'd assume that mask comment at the end of several recent episodes comes with Drew.

I know it's not 100% the same, but I'm glad we can still have Price, and I know this shouldn't be permanent. Will viewership tank, as this original post was about? Yes. Will it ever spring back to what it originally was after all of this is over? Only time will tell.
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline name456

• In the Audience
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2021, 10:04:57 PM »
If you view Drew's statement as political, you're probably one of the people who most needs to listen to him.

What about the studies that say the opposite? There are plenty. Are you discounting those?

I don’t recall Art James or Art Fleming or Garry Moore making comments like this during the Hong Kong flu. Game shows are an escape.

Offline EvilChameleon

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2021, 10:12:19 PM »
I know it's not 100% the same, but I'm glad we can still have Price, and I know this shouldn't be permanent. Will viewership tank, as this original post was about? Yes. Will it ever spring back to what it originally was after all of this is over? Only time will tell.

Down 3% and 6% is tanking? Huh?