Author Topic: Question about this season  (Read 4621 times)

Offline ABBA

• Walking the Golden Road
Question about this season
« on: January 18, 2021, 06:31:12 PM »
Are the contestants being told to scream and rejoice after they won their IUFB? Seems like it’s more this year.

Offline LiteBulb88

• 4/15/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
Re: Question about this season
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2021, 06:50:08 PM »
I have no inside info, but I suspect they're just being told to be energetic. I don't think they're significantly more energetic than contestants in the last couple of seasons; it just looks like it because there's no audience in the background also screaming and going crazy. This season, most of the set is calm and energetic contestants really stand out against that backdrop.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2021, 06:50:52 PM »
We have no way of knowing for sure what contestants this season are being told unless either someone on this board is picked to be a contestant or somebody writes a blog about their taping report that catches the attention if this board.

But I could totally see them saying something like “we’ve replaced 300 cheering people with the four of you, please help us keep the energy high”
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline JonCarmen

• Outside in Line
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2021, 06:57:43 PM »
Are the contestants being told to scream and rejoice after they won their IUFB? Seems like it’s more this year.

I don't know for certain, but it looks that way. Price has come across so darn fake this season.

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2021, 07:22:58 PM »
I don't know for certain, but it looks that way. Price has come across so darn fake this season.

If it were fake, I've not noticed because I'm perfectly fine with this. I am enjoying being able to hear Drew for once.
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline name456

• In the Audience
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2021, 08:35:39 PM »
It’s not the same without the audience. That’s part of Price’s charm.

Offline JhayPrice

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2021, 09:11:16 PM »
The crowd of 300 drowns out the screams and cheers of the winning player. Since there's just around >20 people on the set, the contestants and crew themselves are gonna be the ones to serve as today's crowd.

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2021, 09:39:16 PM »

I mean, they had to pass an initial interview through Zoom, and I'm sure the producers would pick the most exciting contestants. And they have more than the 9 contestants necessary to show to be finished; they apparently have "approximately 16 of us were preselected", so it's not like if you're selected, you're immediately going to be a contestant.
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline JT

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2021, 07:51:40 AM »
I don't know what it is but the contestants this season don't interest me at all and no audience is hurting the show but it's unavoidable right now.  Unfortunately, Drew spends no time getting to know the contestants so it becomes just strangers off the street playing pricing games and spinning the wheel.   He doesn't bring out their personalities to make us want to root for them like the previous host :)

Offline Ton80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2021, 12:47:03 PM »
Quote from: JT
He doesn't bring out their personalities to make us want to root for them like the previous host :)
No previous host has had to do the show under these extraordinary circumstances. 

It's hardly fair to compare Drew's performance THIS SEASON to ANY host of ANY past season.
Quote from: PriceFanArmadillo
Ton80 is also a three-time Sarcasm Cup champion.

Offline RatRace10

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2021, 01:07:47 PM »
The crowd of 300 drowns out the screams and cheers of the winning player. Since there's just around >20 people on the set, the contestants and crew themselves are gonna be the ones to serve as today's crowd.

They are using canned crowd noise, though.

Offline GobGlom

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2021, 02:22:22 PM »
They are using canned crowd noise, though.
Fortunately they are keeping the audience sweetening tracks at a lower volume so it's not ridiculously obvious.

I'm getting a bit more used to this variant and they seem to have been making adjustments to how contestants "behave". At the start, the One-Bid winner would go to the big asterisk, act nutty and move on, which was something that looked awful. I've seen them now head right to Drew for their game.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2021, 06:03:42 PM »
Drew spends no time getting to know the contestants so it becomes just strangers off the street playing pricing games and spinning the wheel.   He doesn't bring out their personalities to make us want to root for them like the previous host :)

Time isn’t exactly a luxury they have.

Offline ABBA

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2021, 01:25:57 AM »
Fortunately they are keeping the audience sweetening tracks at a lower volume so it's not ridiculously obvious.

I'm getting a bit more used to this variant and they seem to have been making adjustments to how contestants "behave". At the start, the One-Bid winner would go to the big asterisk, act nutty and move on, which was something that looked awful. I've seen them now head right to Drew for their game.
Yes I didn’t understand why they did that.

Offline jhc2010

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2021, 11:19:45 AM »
I've noticed Drew has stopped asking the contestants where they are from. The first week he was asking many contestants and nearly all were from the LA area. Then there was a contestant from a more northern city in California and he was very surprised to hear where he was from.

Is the show still exclusively selecting contestants from Southern California?