Author Topic: I'm Disappointed with the Choices/Why wasn't Woolery considered?  (Read 5015 times)

Offline junkaholic95

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: I'm Disappointed with the Choices/Why wasn't Woolery considered?
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2007, 11:43:53 PM »
Could we please not turn this into another "I think X should host" thread, we've had more than enough of those already.  We already know who the 3 candidates are and I can almost guarantee that no one else is going to try out at this point.  I move to have this thread locked.  Do I have a second?

Offline Mangioninc

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2007, 11:56:42 PM »
I guess my question would be is it limited to those three? There's nothing stopping CBS/Fremantle from going after someone else is my impression, not to say that they will, but regardless.

As to Chuck, he'd be good, but he's basically the face of GSN these days. You can't get much better than that, me thinks.

Offline TVC

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2007, 12:13:15 AM »
True ... The final pick may come out of left field and be a surprise to us all.

Offline CBSpromoman

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Patrick’s Place
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2007, 12:21:34 AM »

Franc wrote:

While we're at it, how many years of game show experience did Bob have before hosting Truth or Consequences ? NONE!

Not true.  Barker had hosted audience participation shows on radio before hosting 'ToC.'  In fact, Ralph Edwards called him in to audition after hearing Barker's radio show.

(Still, your point about everyone having to start somewhere is still valid, even if that example was false.)

As for Woolery, while it's definitely possible that he was either happy at GSN or contractually obligated to a point that he couldn't free himself to host 'Price,' it's also possible that he wanted the job and asked for too much money.
Visit my blog: Patrick's Place

Offline Madonna

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2007, 06:52:30 AM »
I would imagine that something besides money kept Chuck Woolery out of the running. After all, he already made THAT mistake once, and STILL regrets it after 26 years.

I would have to guess he either could not get out of his contract with GSN, or CBS/Fremantle never gave him any consideration.

On the matter of disappointment, I would imagine a lot of us had our favorites from the beginning, and a lot of us are disappointed that that person is out of the running. I know a lot of people wanted Rich. I know some people wanted John O'Hurley. Just last week, I had my heart broken when I found out that Wonder Woman and my ballet boot are out of the running.

I think the reality is that most of us are disappointed in general, just because we know that the host next year will NOT be Bob Barker. I freely admit it. Even had Rich gotten the job, next season would still be hard on me because as much as I love Rich, Rich isn't Bob. Nobody is Bob.

All we can do is cross our fingers and hope TPTB find the best man/woman/Amazon/piece of footwear for the job.
In loving and eternal memory of a truly beautiful goddess.

Offline Franc

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Let Me Be Franc!
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2007, 08:22:36 AM »

CBSpromoman wrote:
Barker had hosted audience participation shows on radio before hosting 'ToC.'  In fact, Ralph Edwards called him in to audition after hearing Barker's radio show.

What I meant was TV Game Show experience. Hosting on the radio is much different than on TV, IMO. I see it as Bob having prior hosting experience, but not TV Game Show hosting experience, which is what, I beleive, BonusShell refered to in the first place.

EDIT : Now that I think of it, though, some radio shows back then had an audience, it was like a TV show on the radio ... Yeah, I see what you mean.

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2007, 11:12:16 AM »
He got 6 years out of Scrabble (83-89), better than some of them. It's a shame that Tom Kennedy is 80, he'd be THE CHOICE for this.

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2007, 11:14:06 AM »
Could we please not turn this into another "I think X should host" thread, we've had more than enough of those already. We already know who the 3 candidates are and I can almost guarantee that no one else is going to try out at this point. I move to have this thread locked. Do I have a second?

Did somebody die and leave you backseat moderator? Jeeze Louise!