Author Topic: Favorite Past Game Show opening signs.  (Read 3311 times)

Offline Richie

• Double Showcase Winner
Favorite Past Game Show opening signs.
« on: January 21, 2021, 11:45:31 PM »
Some of the past game shows that show their opening signs in the beginning: here are my favorites:

Card Sharks 78, Match Game 70s (Gene Rayburn version), Match Game 90s (Ross Shafer version---I saw rare pics of the circular Match Game 90s opening sign on the Internet, it's huge!), Name That Tune (both Kennedy and Lange versions).   I do admit I did like the regular version signs of Lange's $100,000 Name That Tune in the regular season, but the pilot episodes, their signs were weird.

From any game show, what game shows had some cool opening signs?

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Favorite Past Game Show opening signs.
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2021, 08:54:03 AM »
Jeopardy's big flashing Neon Lighted sign used from 84-96 comes to mind for me, the Grid-Era version being my favorite of these. The original Jeopardy does too, with its' focus on the sign above the contestant's chairs shown right as the show started.

Offline Grand_game2004

• Double Showcase Winner
  • GEORGE GRAY IS A W E S O M E!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2021, 12:54:33 PM »
I always thought it was cool how a shot of 3 lucky (and sometimes not so lucky) contestants got superimposed on the PYL logo with the lights surrounding the big board moving, and then you hear "Today, these three player are after HIGH STAKES, but they'll have to avoid the WHAMMY as they play THE MOST EXCITING GAME OF THEIR LIVES!!! (and then while the following is said, the spaces around the board 'fill' in a clockwise direction) From TELEVISION CITY IN HOLLYWOOD, IT'S TIME TO (then the camera shot gets 'boxed out' followed sometimes by a Whammy animation, and then the lights that form the logo light up one by one) PRESS YOUR LUCK!! And here's the STAR OF PRESS YOUR LUCK, PETER TOMARKEN!!!! (a bit too much?)

Offline Grand_game2004

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2021, 12:55:29 PM »
What about the opening of Scrabble from 1984-1991?

Offline jhc2010

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2021, 02:56:32 PM »
I always thought it was cool how a shot of 3 lucky (and sometimes not so lucky) contestants got superimposed on the PYL logo with the lights surrounding the big board moving, and then you hear "Today, these three player are after HIGH STAKES, but they'll have to avoid the WHAMMY as they play THE MOST EXCITING GAME OF THEIR LIVES!!! (and then while the following is said, the spaces around the board 'fill' in a clockwise direction) From TELEVISION CITY IN HOLLYWOOD, IT'S TIME TO (then the camera shot gets 'boxed out' followed sometimes by a Whammy animation, and then the lights that form the logo light up one by one) PRESS YOUR LUCK!! And here's the STAR OF PRESS YOUR LUCK, PETER TOMARKEN!!!! (a bit too much?)
There was a unique sound effect that played while the board filled in during the intro. The '80s PYL intro was one of the greatest. Anyone know if this sound effect was ever used in any other game show?

Offline Grand_game2004

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2021, 03:01:49 PM »
There was a unique sound effect that played while the board filled in during the intro. The '80s PYL intro was one of the greatest. Anyone know if this sound effect was ever used in any other game show?
Yeah, I think that sound effect that was used as the board filled in was specifically made for the show, as well as the 'background music' with the laser sfx as various shots of contestants at the big board were shown. I forgot to add that to the opening spiel I made earlier. Oh well.

Offline Chief-O

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2021, 10:33:00 PM »

If this is the sound you hear as Rod says "From Television City in Hollywood.....", that's part of the theme.

Offline Trevor Tuominen

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2021, 01:29:39 AM »
Don’t forget Family Feud in the Dawson and Combs days (pre-1992). Loved the shot of the camera panning out from the sign to the set.
"Take your job seriously, but don't take yourself too seriously." - Alex Trebek, 1940-2020

Icon by Siahri!

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2021, 01:21:48 PM »
Don’t forget Family Feud in the Dawson and Combs days (pre-1992). Loved the shot of the camera panning out from the sign to the set.

The Family Feud Challenge still did this just looking on YouTube to double check on that period of time, only The New Family Feud stopped using that shot and pan out in favor of a static spinning logo and wide shot from the audience instead (which I thought was pretty cool in its' own right actually seeing the set from that perspective). So the changeover point fully for that woulda been 1993 vs. 1992.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 01:25:26 PM by pricefan18 »

Offline Grand_game2004

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2021, 04:26:54 PM »
Honestly I thought the opening of FF with both Richard Dawson & Ray Combs was awesome. I love how they incorporated the 'Fast Money' board into the opening. Originally the squares that showed "FAMILY FEUD" would be inverted, but then the squares would be inverted to read "FAMILY FEUD" in yellow. I know that the Ray Combs version had a similar opening, but the 'transition effect' was different.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2021, 09:36:24 AM »
Honestly I thought the opening of FF with both Richard Dawson & Ray Combs was awesome. I love how they incorporated the 'Fast Money' board into the opening. Originally the squares that showed "FAMILY FEUD" would be inverted, but then the squares would be inverted to read "FAMILY FEUD" in yellow. I know that the Ray Combs version had a similar opening, but the 'transition effect' was different.

This actually reminds me speaking about differences between the two, I had forgotten about this. The original Dawson era would always open with a shot of the logo super imposed over one of the family nameplates/doors, with Gene Wood or a substitute announcer saying "It's Time for The Family Feud.". before introducing the day's families. This aspect was dropped for the Combs era, as they'd go straight into the family introductions instead.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 09:40:39 AM by pricefan18 »

Offline b_masters8

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2021, 05:30:13 PM »
Bumping this up-- remember the original 60s-70s NBC Jeopardy! w/Art Fleming from NYC? After Don Pardo billed the day's three contestants (one usually a returning champion), he said, "These three people will compete today on...Jeopardy!"

(as J! title sign behind contestants dissolves to same title in entrance vestibule, much like TPIR title does today w/Drew Carey on Door #2, and did w/Bob Barker for 35 years)

"And now here's the star of Jeopardy!, Art Fleming." (Art then comes out entrance vestibule and greets players and audience)