Author Topic: Episodes pre-empted by impeachment trial  (Read 1291 times)

Offline ssetta

• Walking the Golden Road
Episodes pre-empted by impeachment trial
« on: February 13, 2021, 08:10:18 PM »
Surprisingly, none of the episodes were pre-empted on the East Coast, but I think they were all pre-empted on the West Coast. Iím a bit surprised they even aired new episodes on those days, but itís good for East Coast viewers. Will the episodes be rescheduled or be rerun so West Coast viewers will be able to watch them?

Offline LiteBulb88

• 4/15/19
  • TPiR Alumnus
Re: Episodes pre-empted by impeachment trial
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2021, 08:19:05 PM »
The same thing happened during Trump's first impeachment trial--the proceedings didn't start until 1 PM (Eastern) so that John Roberts could do his primary job at the Supreme Court in the morning. TPiR aired new episodes those days and did eventually rerun them; I'm guessing they'd do the same here. For whatever reason, this has always been CBS' M.O. about TPiR--if a new episode can be aired on eastern & central time without preemption, they'll do it, no matter what's happening in the mountain or western time zones. But if there's a known preemption on the east coast, they'll show a rerun on the west coast and slot the episode in for viewing at a later date.

Of course, people in time zones where the show was preempted can always watch for free on CBS All Access starting at 6 PM (Eastern) the day the show aired.

Offline RatRace10

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2021, 08:41:06 PM »
I don't know much about how these trials work. Will this continue next week, or is it over since he was officially acquitted today?

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2021, 08:52:36 PM »
Will this continue next week, or is it over since he was officially acquitted today?
Regrettably, it's over.

Offline FanOfDrew87

• Outside in Line
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2021, 07:54:47 AM »
Last Thursday, the show got cut off on the East Coast, but only the closing credits were impacted.

Offline supersaver87

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2021, 11:01:25 AM »
Last Thursday, the show got cut off on the East Coast, but only the closing credits were impacted.

That's true of Wednesday and Friday's TPIRs too; only the credits, no gameplay cut whatsoever.

Unfortunately, I live in one of the places that shows LMAD at 3PM, so I got locked out of seeing those three episodes.

Offline Thrasher

• Emeritus Producer
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2021, 03:52:03 AM »
Casual but important reminder that while the episodes were pre-empted on air, they're still posted for viewing on CBS.com and the entire season to-date is available to CBS All Access (soon: Paramount Plus) subscribers.  And for subscribers at least, you get to see the episode commercial free *and* with the full credit roll.  This is the modern standard within the industry now (complete with reminders from the network that if viewers call/email to ask, to push to the streaming sites).  and *if* CBS does a reair of those episodes for the west coast, it'd be a courtesy and to fill a gap, not a necessity.  This is no longer 1983 or even 2003 where if a show gets preempted then that's *it* until a reschedule.

Unless I'm literally at work when an episode is on or physically somewhere it's playing at the time already, I haven't seen a live episode on CBS TV outside those conditions in probably two years.  Streaming is how a not insignificant number of viewers watch TV now, and as I've been in the room for a few arguments for at work, holding to an old school TV-first mentality is at the business' own peril.

Offline jhc2010

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2021, 08:21:32 AM »
Casual but important reminder that while the episodes were pre-empted on air, they're still posted for viewing on CBS.com and the entire season to-date is available to CBS All Access (soon: Paramount Plus) subscribers.  And for subscribers at least, you get to see the episode commercial free *and* with the full credit roll.
The only thing you never get to see on the online streams is the bumper that airs right before the SCSD's.

Offline RatRace10

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2021, 10:23:43 AM »
Or if you prefer a higher framerate, Price is 60 FPS if you watch it on actual TV, but 30 FPS if you watch it on any stream, including the classic eps on Pluto TV. This is also true for Jeopardy! and Wheel of Fortune on Netflix. Buzzr used to be 60 FPS on the actual channel, but it looks like everything's 30 FPS on there now, unless it's just my affiliate.