Author Topic: Feature Update - Youtube Support Enhanced; Dailymotion & Vimeo Added  (Read 11858 times)

Offline Chelsea

• Executive Producer
Using Youtube button works identically as before except that youtu.be links are now supported.  Dailymotion and Vimeo work the same way.

However, good news: You don't even need to use the buttons. Pasting links directly into the posts now works correctly, for all three video sites.

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
Re: Feature Update - Youtube Support Enhanced; Dailymotion & Vimeo Added
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2021, 02:51:08 PM »
Oh thank God. It was becoming an incredible chore to post Youtube links. :lol:

Thanks Chelsea!
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline SuperSweeper

• 1/11/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2021, 03:32:43 PM »
Seconded - as someone who's posted in here a lot (fully one-quarter of my posts have been in this subforum), I know this will be a big help to many.

Thanks, Chelsea!

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2021, 05:42:28 PM »
So THAT'S why my signature looks different  now! 😃
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2021, 07:19:35 PM »
So THAT'S why my signature looks different  now! 😃

Yeah, that might be a bug of the new feature... I don't know if there's a way to disable that particular portion of it. We might just have to have a "no youtube links in signatures" rule...otherwise trying to load videos in signatures might cause hangups on slower connections...

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2021, 08:29:05 PM »
^There is a way to put YouTube links without showing it, by doing

Code: [Select]
[url=<the youtube link>]whatever you want[/url]
Exhibit A:
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline Chelsea

• Executive Producer
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2021, 04:36:25 AM »
Just IMO, but requiring Youtube links in signatures now be formatted with the url bbcode as they just demonstrated sounds like it'd by far the way to do it with the least work.

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2021, 09:18:27 AM »
Just IMO, but requiring Youtube links in signatures now be formatted with the url bbcode as they just demonstrated sounds like it'd by far the way to do it with the least work.

Yeah, that seems totally fair :)

Offline vnisanian2001

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2021, 10:58:00 AM »
Chelsea, why did you delete some Family Feud episodes from YouTube? Especially considering a friend of mine helped identify the production numbers for one of the episodes for you.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 11:06:11 AM by vnisanian2001 »

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2021, 11:33:18 AM »
^ Dude, this ain't the place for it.

Offline Chelsea

• Executive Producer
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2021, 01:17:40 PM »
You know what?  It's not the place for it but as it could periodically affect things linked to on this site, I'm going to answer it. 

When content is uploaded to my channel, I make absolutely zero guarantees on how long it'll stay up. Sometimes things get taken down by the people who own it.  Sometimes I take things down, for reasons ranging from "having too many uploads of [show x] leaves me too vulnerable to copyright issues" to "someone uploaded a nicer version" to "I just really felt like it".  The master copy of the 1st daytime Price w/ Bob? I'm the original uploader. It's one of the only tapes I've gone through that I've held on to and I've still got it sitting in one of my remaining boxes inside it's clamshell. Others uploaded it to copy, I deleted mine. I got it out there, now they can assume the liability of having it on their account.  Family Feud? Found myself having a bit too much of it (including a very popular compilation vid of the game show host week) relative to my total content, so pruned some. Used to have a second backup channel that I've purged of game shows almost entirely now; the only things left on it are mostly auto racing related and other misc. stuff.  Removed multiple videos with 5 figure viewcounts there.

But in exchange?  You're getting the best quality copy I have, on a platform that's easy to download from in higher quality, with no watermarks even when I post something almost no one's seen in 40 years (Ex: That High Rollers ep), no deliberately manipulating the frame rate of video to preserve tape trading (which I think is inane personally but that's an editorial). no uploading the inferior quality copy of something if I have two.  I even turned comments back on even though I think the signal to noise ratio is really, really bad because some folks find value in it.

The tradeoff is that what goes up and what comes down is largely left to my whim (with some exceptions). Pretty much every game show Youtube uploader has quirks to their channel.  This Buzzr rerun from 2020 doesn't need the nine minutes of orange logo with music bed.  Dropping the framerate to 15fps is (to me) absolutely idiotic. Watermarks are varying degrees annoying and pretentious.  I take stuff down sometimes.

And for the truly rare of rare stuff where having it uploaded has actual meaning (Whew, that HR ep, the last ep of CBS TJW, etc) I try to leave it up unless I can't because I know there's meaning in it being there.  But a random GSN rerun of Family Feud doesn't really fit that bill.

Offline vnisanian2001

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2021, 01:45:15 PM »
I appreciate your answer, Chelsea. I'm satisfied with it. The reason I asked is because I thought it was my fault. I thought I did something wrong.