Author Topic: Chances of winning a grand prize  (Read 2627 times)

Offline tpirguyMN

• In the Audience
Chances of winning a grand prize
« on: March 07, 2021, 07:56:11 PM »
I fell asleep watching the NASCAR race this afternoon (not because it was bad, my COVID shot has made me extra tired), and a game show called Cherries Wild was on when I woke up.  I didn't see much of it, but in the end credits it said this (sorry its kind of long):

"The program does not use a real 'slot machine'.  Each spin in a particular game is the product of a game play combination that is determined in advance by the program's producer.  On each tape day, an independent outside compliance company randomly assigns those predetermined combinations to the contestant teams taping that day.  At least one (1) of the contestant teams on each tape day will receive a combination that has the potential to lead to the Grand Prize if the game is successfully played to its conclusion.  At no point in the game do the contestants put their own money at risk."

I might be wrong, but this seemed strange to me that each game does not guarantee an equal chance at winning the grand prize.  Is this the case in any other game shows you know of?

Offline GRWHAMMY the 2nd

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: Chances of winning a grand prize
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2021, 09:44:05 PM »
looks kinda like what Fox's last big money gameshow "Spin the Wheel" did in that the players didn't actually spin the bigger-than-life wheel

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2021, 12:38:03 AM »
I might be wrong, but this seemed strange to me that each game does not guarantee an equal chance at winning the grand prize.  Is this the case in any other game shows you know of?

Here's an answer you probably didn't expect - the 30-minute version of The Price Is Right!

On the surface, it's a no-brainer that the top two winners went on to the Showcase.  However, contestants winning their way on stage have no say in what pricing games they're going to play or the value of the prizes they're playing for.

So, let's say all three contestants won the maximum amount of prizes they could win in their assigned pricing games.  If the 1st game was worth $2000, the 2nd $6000 and the 3rd $5000, the contestant who played the first game was eliminated through no fault of his own, even though he did everything right (that is, win all the prizes he had a chance to win), because he had the bad luck to play the pricing game that awarded the lowest dollar-value amount of prizes that day.
Fun fact: Evelyn Wong, the 5th person to be called on the first show (9/4/72), was actually the very first contestant to directly be called to come on down!  The original first four (Sandy Flornor, Paul Levine, Connie Donnel, Myra Carter) were individually told to stand up, and then, as a group, were invited to come on down.

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2021, 10:57:38 AM »
That said, the Showcase Showdown also penalizes the contestants who had similar bad luck, but then again, if you don't win the SCSD, at least you could still have won a very nice prize/cash (or even $6K/$11K in a spinoff/bonus spin combo). But at least the Big Wheel isn't 100% luck since you can easily adjust the force on your second spin after getting a good idea on your first spin.

It's unfortunate though in the half-hour era that the contestant who wins the car is a lock for the Showcase, and since the quickie game is almost always played third, the fate of the contestant rests upon the prize package, and if its Double Prices or The Range Game, it usually means a cheap (often less than $1,000 at the time) prize. Just be glad that you even got called down last, win the One Bid, and then win that refrigerator or dinette set.

The same could be said for Wheel of Fortune during the W-H-E-E-L bonus envelope era, where sometimes, you're left with the $17,000 ring, $15,000 trip, or $18,000 boat if your first appearance is on Wednesday, meaning that your championship would be over by the time the $25,000 would return on Monday if it was already won earlier in the week. This is why they made $25,000 available on every show when the show returned to one-and-done in 1998. That said, sometimes the best prize was the (nicest) car or sometimes even an annuity or precious metals package. I'd take a Corvette or a Mercedes over $25,000 if it was offered in that era (most of the 1990s).

LMAD is probably the most blatant example, since the Big Deal of the Day involves the top trader (traders pre-Brady era) being selected first to have a shot at the Big Deal. If you were selected to play for a deal where the maximum you could have won is around $1000, enjoy your cash, but hope everyone else gets Zonked, save for perhaps the car deals.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 11:06:47 AM by pannoni1 »
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline SamJ93

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2021, 06:56:56 PM »
Arguably any word-association game where the contestants are paired with celebrities--Password, Pyramid, 25 Words Or Less. If your opponent is paired with Nipsey Russell or Betty White (or the modern-day equivalents on 25WoL, Melissa Peterman or Greg Grunberg) and you're randomly saddled with some clueless noob, say goodbye to your chances of winning. Password, and Pyramid by the 80's, remedied this somewhat by having contestants switch partners, but the frustration of having a celeb who just can't grasp the concept of the game remains.

Offline tpirguyMN

• In the Audience
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2021, 11:14:25 PM »
Thanks everyone for your insight!  How could I forget half-hour Price??

...but the frustration of having a celeb who just can't grasp the concept of the game remains.

Some actor/actress that is just there to promote their new show on the same network....  :roll:

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2021, 12:33:04 AM »
Arguably any word-association game where the contestants are paired with celebrities . . . . . the frustration of having a celeb who just can't grasp the concept of the game remains.

I remember seeing William Shatner on the prime-time Password with Regis Philbin and I felt sorry for whoever was stuck with having him as their celebrity partner.  I mean, Shatner was so bad that the contestant would have been better off with Felix Unger (not Tony Randall, but Felix Unger with his Greek clues) as a partner.   8-O

Fun fact: Evelyn Wong, the 5th person to be called on the first show (9/4/72), was actually the very first contestant to directly be called to come on down!  The original first four (Sandy Flornor, Paul Levine, Connie Donnel, Myra Carter) were individually told to stand up, and then, as a group, were invited to come on down.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2021, 03:32:29 AM »
I remember seeing William Shatner on the prime-time Password with Regis Philbin and I felt sorry for whoever was stuck with having him as their celebrity partner.  I mean, Shatner was so bad that the contestant would have been better off with Felix Unger (not Tony Randall, but Felix Unger with his Greek clues) as a partner.   8-O

From what I recall, a show with him didn't even AIR because he was so bad in the bonus round. I believe it was him anyway.

Offline sayingsorry

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2021, 04:57:53 PM »
SPOILER
A team was given the winning combination this past Sunday and won the $250k. It felt very dirty though because it was on their last possible spin and the one before that they were given 80k to walk away so the show clearly knew they were going to give away the money and wanted to tempt them not to take it. This show just feels terrible of rigged even if its not