Author Topic: Facts Verse Video: Bob Barker Reveals His True Feelings About The Price Is Right  (Read 3804 times)

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
This outta bring out some interesting discussion...

« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 03:01:40 PM by Alfonzo »
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
This video is about what I expected for a content farm: technically nothing was factually wrong, but ultimately lacking in substance. There was about 30 seconds talking about his feelings before they had to resort to talking about other points to pad to an 8-minute runtime.

I'm sure the TMZ and GMA interviews are online somewhere, since the mentions of those interviews are ultimately the only things actually talking about current TPIR. But this video didn't do anything new, didn't interview Bob, nor did it actively regroup all the information to make a statement about his feelings.
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
This video is about what I expected for a content farm: technically nothing was factually wrong, but ultimately lacking in substance. There was about 30 seconds talking about his feelings before they had to resort to talking about other points to pad to an 8-minute runtime.

I'm sure the TMZ and GMA interviews are online somewhere, since the mentions of those interviews are ultimately the only things actually talking about current TPIR. But this video didn't do anything new, didn't interview Bob, nor did it actively regroup all the information to make a statement about his feelings.

Actually, I'm in total agreement with you. The reason I posted this myself is that I would rather link this myself without any opinions than risk another member of the board making a new post and that sound like "BREAKING NEWS! BOB HATES THE CURRENT SHOW!!!" It's often good to see stories from several different angles before making an opinion.

Offline Mr. Weatherman

9821 beat me to it, but I don't feel like this video had a real sense of direction.  The title leads one to believe there is a new clip of Barker discussing the show that we've never seen, but instead, it's just a summary of everything we already knew that skews toward the negative side of Bob's character.  If that's the direction they wanted to take the video, that's fine, but at least give it a better title that isn't complete clickbait.  What's sad is most of their subscriber base probably won't even realize the difference.

At least the top 20 or so comments I read were positive in Barker's favor.  It would be a neat to see a well-produced video by an established creator discussing the history of the show in length.

Btw, for a channel with millions of subscribers, can we try to not sound like we're reading directly off a script (or Wikipedia) with no idea what the subject is we're talking about?  That was probably the most cringeworthy part of all for me, personally.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 03:32:24 PM by Mr. Weatherman »
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline RatRace10

• Walking the Golden Road
I'm sure the TMZ and GMA interviews are online somewhere, since the mentions of those interviews are ultimately the only things actually talking about current TPIR.

I remember the TMZ interview. Bob was approached on the street and he said something along the lines of "Drew just does the games. He doesn't make it exciting like I did." The media of course turned this into "Bob Barker Thinks Drew Carey Sucks!!" and the like. A little while later, TMZ approached Drew on the street and asked him his thoughts on what Bob said, to which Drew answered with a smile, "Bob Barker can say whatever he wants."

Offline bigblue999

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • No Flags
This comes from the same channel that said Vanna White left Wheel of Fortune.
CSS XIII Silver Medalist

Offline sideshowPA

• Double Showcase Winner
They lost me at Roger DOBOWITZ.

This is what counts for hard-hitting content these days. There is nothing new here.

"I don't want to hear disorganized beeping." - Bob Barker

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
They lost me at Roger DOBOWITZ.

This is what counts for hard-hitting content these days. There is nothing new here.

I laughed out loud for a good minute when I first heard that.