Author Topic: "Reactive Budget" - gamesurf's Price is Right  (Read 24697 times)

Offline 123123123

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: "Reactive Budget" - gamesurf's Price is Right
« Reply #90 on: July 10, 2021, 12:30:44 PM »
Ha, looks like Dwayne decided to cheapen the prizes rather than make the games more difficult.

I agree with 9821 with the choices, and I'm going with the money in 12

Online LiteBulb88

• 4/15/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #91 on: July 10, 2021, 01:13:52 PM »
Does the spray paint Dwayne used to change the sign count against the budget? :oldlol:

Offline GameShowFan9001

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #92 on: July 11, 2021, 01:24:45 AM »
The hand mixer definitely feels a lot more like it's $30 than the popcorn maker feels like $50, and no way in hell is that charging station $350, so--waaaaaaaaaait, you say it's made of "Italian leather"?  Hmmmm...maybe it might actually be $350, and if so, it'd have exactly the same price as the blender that got me up here, and $48 already seems pretty expensive for the clock...yes, I know that 9821 said about the clock that
I think the trap here is it’s customizable, which might increase its value
$48 kinda seems like it might be that "increased value"...but at the same time, $175 also seems pretty expensive for a non-Italian leather charging tray, so maybe possibly that $175 already takes the leather into account...

I refuse to believe, however, that that translator is $260, but at the same time, $50 also kinda sorta seems like it'd be right for the breakfast maker...

You know what, I'm far from confident on any of these besides the mixer and popcorn maker, and if I happen to fall into any sorta traps or anything, eh, whatever, but I'm gonna go slightly against the audience and go with:
  • mixer is $30
  • charging tray is $350
  • breakfast maker is $100

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #93 on: July 11, 2021, 03:29:39 AM »
GameShowFan says the mixer is half off, and GameShowFan is...

*DING!*

...right! Eliminate half of those boxes!

*tinkling sound effect*

Half the boxes gone, eight remain. Now, you can halve it down to four if you're right about this second one. You've gotten a lot of help from the audience, and in the end you decided to forge your own path. Was that the right thing to do? Is that charger half off?

*BUZZ!*

Nope, I'm sorry, your gut was right the first time, but you talked yourself out of it... is that clock really $96?

Guess so. We're still left with eight potential receptacles of cash. The audience had it right after all...

Shake it off, 9001, you can still narrow it down to four boxes if you get this one right. You said, again, with some trepidation that you believed the breakfast mixer was half off. Is it?

*DING!*

It is! Eliminate half of those boxes!

*tinkling sound effect*

All right, GameShowFan9001, moment of truth... that $5,000 is hidden inside either box 1, box 4, box 13, or box 16. Tell us where the cash is and it's yours!
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline GameShowFan9001

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #94 on: July 11, 2021, 03:48:38 AM »
Hmmmmm, gimme lucky 13...

And random question: had I gotten everything right, what would the bonus have been (probably instead of $1,000)?  Or is/was the budget in such a state that the bonus just straight up wouldn't have existed at all?

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #95 on: July 11, 2021, 05:00:37 AM »
And random question: had I gotten everything right, what would the bonus have been (probably instead of $1,000)?  Or is/was the budget in such a state that the bonus just straight up wouldn't have existed at all?

[The bonus would have been the normal $1,000. Dwayne can't vandalize at the last minute if there's no physical sign to vandalize...]

All right, GameShowFan wants lucky box 13, so let's give GameShowFan lucky box 13!

Now, here's what we hope will happen. You will stand right here, behind the box, you see. You're going to put your left hand here, and your right hand here. And--not now, you have to wait for the signal--you will lift the box up, and we'll see what's in the box. And hopefully, that cash will come spilling out everywhere!

*Dwayne pulls a handkerchief out and begins dabbing his forehead to clear the sweat... unbeknownst to him, a stray bit of spray paint had somehow made it onto the handkerchief and is now staining Dwayne's forehead yellow with each dab*

So place your hands on the box HERE--that's good--and I will give the signal. I will say one, two, three, NOW. I'm not saying it yet, I'm just saying that's what I'm going to say. And when I say the word NOW, you will lift that box as high as you can and we'll see all the cash in the box falling all over the place!

Okay, are you ready for the signal? This is it!

*BUZZ!* bom bom bom bom... WOOOOOOOOO

Awww..... I'm sorry. ModelBot 4000, where was the cash?

In box 16, at the end. Well, don't fret for too long, 9001, because you're not through yet. You'll still get to spin the Big Wheel.

*Dwayne loosens his tie a bit in relief... only to realize the paint had escaped his hands and is on his tie... and Dwayne quickly makes a break backstage for the green room in horror*

Don't go away, we're going for another winner after these words!
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline Nate Powalie

• In Contestant's Row
  • Sporcle Live Trivia Host/Freelance Sports Writer
« Reply #96 on: July 11, 2021, 02:50:28 PM »
Poor Dwayne.
"Can't we all just learn to get along already?" - Nate Powalie

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #97 on: July 11, 2021, 03:51:05 PM »
One more chance to for a winner, and one more vacancy to be filled at Contestant's Row, and AnnouncerTron, who's it going to be?

It's going to be Nate Powalie! COME ON DOWN! You're the next contestant on The Price is Right!

And Nate's been chatting and laughing with us over the break--welcome to the show officially, Nate! And what are we going to bid on?

It's a cool freezer chest!

Save money by buying in bulk and storing food in this Insignia freezer chest! Store up to 14 cubic feet of goodies at temperatures from -11° to 10° F. That's up to 98 frozen chickens! Or, 70 gallons of vegetables for you animal lovers out there.

Nate, as our newcomer to the row, the first bid is yours!

Offline Nate Powalie

• In Contestant's Row
  • Sporcle Live Trivia Host/Freelance Sports Writer
« Reply #98 on: July 11, 2021, 06:27:58 PM »
My parents have always said they wanted a chest freezer... let's do $650, please, Gamesurf.
"Can't we all just learn to get along already?" - Nate Powalie

Offline tpiradam

• 11/13/2018
  • TPiR Alumnus
    • http://adamb.one-dollar.us
« Reply #99 on: July 11, 2021, 09:03:41 PM »
$395 please.

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #100 on: July 11, 2021, 10:51:00 PM »
What were the bids again?

(considers waiting for gamesurf to post in order to recap the bids, thereby wasting valuable show time)

Never mind. I'll bid $699.
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.

Online LiteBulb88

• 4/15/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #101 on: July 11, 2021, 10:57:48 PM »
$396, gamesurf!

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #102 on: July 12, 2021, 04:02:00 AM »
*DING!*
*DING!*
*DING!*
*DING!*

Will Scott win his way up on stage after being in the row all show?

Will Nate prove to be a one-bid wonder?

Will Adam sneak it out with a perfect bid?

Or will LiteBulb steal it with that last second one-up?

Well, I'm here to tell you that the Actual Retail Price of that freezer is...

*cracks envelope*

...oh, come ON....

We're going to get LIT... because the winner is LiteBulb!

LiteBulb, you've picked the perfect time to come up on stage. I'll bet that you've been patiently waiting, biding your time, until this moment. Because we have not one, not two, not three, but FOUR wonderful prizes you can win! Take it away, AnnouncerTron!

*cue MG-HSH*

It's a reclining loveseat...

...a Polaroid camera......

...and an electronic drum set!

First, from the Ashley Furniture Company, the chic faux leather of the Garristown power reclining love seat is fully adjustable at the touch of a button, with both sides reclining independently, and even features power adjustable headrests! The perfect gift for the couch potato in all of us!

Second, they say that nothing is forever, so what makes Polaroid cameras the exception? Well, they've never seen a camera restored like THIS! This professionally-restored Polaroid SX-70 camera will bring classic instant photos back for the 21st century! And with modern enhancements like manual shutter adjustment and automatic settings, you can shoot Polaroids that look every bit as good as those shot on a modern camera. Shake it, shake it, but not too vigorously or you'll distort the image!

And get on your Keith Moon impression in closed quarters with the Roland TD-17 electronic drum set! With rubber cymbals and fully functioning mesh drum heads simulating a real kit, just plug your headphones into this electronic drum module and you'll be able to bash, crash, and thrash away through the wee hours of the morning, and the apartment next door will be none the wiser!

*Dwayne makes a cutting motion across his throat, as if to signal to cut the prize copy off there, but it's too late, they've already announced FOUR prizes...*

And finally, it's A NEW CAR!

Drive in STYLE with the Chevy Spark! Featuring a 1.4L four-cylinder engine, five-speed manual transmission, engine block heater, chrome fuel door, and premium carpeted floor mats. The Chevy Spark!

And LiteBulb, you will be playing More or Less! This game is really quite simple. We will be paying a visit to each one of these prizes in turn, starting with the recliner. Each prize has a price on it that is WRONG. All you need to do in order to win the prize is to tell me whether the actual price is more or less than the false price.

Now, we'll start with the reclining love seat. You have to win the reclining love seat in order to play for the camera. You have to win the camera to play for the drum set. And if you win all three, you will get to play for that car! Any mistake will end the game, and you will keep whatever you've won to that point... but we all want to see you make it to the end and win that car!

*the daggers being shot from Dwayne's eyes upon hearing that would seem to indicate that, no, everybody does NOT want to see LiteBulb win that car...*

So, LiteBulb, tell me...

Is the reclining love seat MORE or LESS than $1,400?
Is the camera MORE or LESS than $400?
Is the drum kit MORE or LESS than $2,000?
And finally, is that car MORE or LESS than $14,400?

Best of luck!

*audience shouts suggestions*

Online LiteBulb88

• 4/15/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #103 on: July 12, 2021, 10:32:11 AM »
I could use some audience help here. I'm leaning towards More (Recliner)/Less (Camera)/More (Drums)/More (Car), but I'm not sure. Any thoughts out there?

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
« Reply #104 on: July 12, 2021, 12:36:55 PM »
Again, at this point, everything is going to be so close, that I could just be off, but

*peanut gallery*

I've got no clue on the furniture, since that price can fluctuate based on who's selling it. Just go with your gut here. Also, lol 123^3 guessing right with cheap furniture.
I agree with you with less on the camera, only because it's been refurbished, so it has to be cheaper, I think?
I want to say less on the drum set, based on my very limited knowledge on ddrum sets? But honestly, it's probably either $1,899 or $2,099 (or maybe even $1,999, but this show hasn't really reached Kaizo Price levels yet).

With the Spark, I guess I'd want clarification if the destination fee is included. The base Spark is $13,600 plus $995 in destination, so if it is, great, it's clearly over. If not, there are barely any options, so it should be less.
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023