Author Topic: "Reactive Budget" - gamesurf's Price is Right  (Read 25247 times)

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
Re: "Reactive Budget" - gamesurf's Price is Right
« Reply #105 on: July 12, 2021, 01:42:13 PM »
With the Spark, I guess I'd want clarification if the destination fee is included.

That’s a fair question, and it deserves a fair answer:

It is not. I always try not to include destination fees when calculating car prices.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline LiteBulb88

• 4/15/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #106 on: July 12, 2021, 03:19:47 PM »
I'll agree with 9821 on the car. So here's my final answer:

Recliner: MORE
Camera: LESS
Drums: MORE
Car: LESS

Offline pathfinder20

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #107 on: July 12, 2021, 03:41:11 PM »
I would have said less on the loveseat. Bonded Leather is not real leather…

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #108 on: July 12, 2021, 04:38:40 PM »
LiteBulb, we have a price of $1,400 on that love seat. Is the actual retail price more or less than $1,400?

Litebulb: More!

LiteBulb says that he believes the reclining loveseat is more than $1,400... and LiteBulb is...

*DING!*

...right! And LiteBulb wins the loveseat! How much was it, exactly?

And that qualifies you not only for a lifetime of comfort and reclining goodness, but it also qualifies you for a chance at the camera!

Now, we have a price of $400 for the camera; is the actual price more or less?

Litebulb: Less!

Less, you say! Is it?

*BUZZ!* bom bom bom bom... WOOOOOOOOO

Oh, no! No, no, no, no. Our journey ends prematurely, I'm afraid. How much was it, actually?

*Dwayne, exhaling, starts cooling himself off with one of those little battery powered fans*

Well, LiteBulb, you have a love seat, and that's something they can never take away from you. And you also have a chance to spin the Big Wheel, which is coming up right after this!

[For those playing along, the drum kit was less at $1,900; the car was also less at $13,895.]

-----------------------------------------

*shot pans over Nate Powalie, tpiradam, and MSTieScott*

Contestants not appearing onstage will receive a Croton ladies or gents two-tone sports watch! Water resistant to 150 feet, calendar on the 3 position, illuminated markers on dial, and Austrian crystal bezel. From Croton watch company!

And, Os-Cal is proven effective in more clinical studies and recommended by more doctors than any other calcium supplement. Don't take chances, take Os-Cal! And now here's gamesurf with our Showcase Showdown!

We're back with GameShowFan9001, LiteBulb88, and Plinkoman!

Now, all three of you were watching during the first half, so I assume you know how the wheel works. You know that the one of you closest to a dollar in one spin or a combination of two spins goes to the showcase! And you know that if you get a dollar exactly, you will win $1,000 and a bonus spin where you can potentially win an extra $10,000 or even $25,000! And everybody here knows it's possible--it happened the very last time the wheel was spun, and there's a chance our luck hasn't run out!

*Remembering what happened last time, Dwayne is not feeling well... why was that blasted S&P employee so insistent that the rules to the Showcase Showdown couldn't be changed mid-show? It's not like a $100 bonus wasn't generous enough for spinning a big dumb wheel...*

GameShowFan9001, you will be the one who spins the wheel first. Hopefully that wheel is still hot!

[Again, give me two numbers from 1-20, as well as the lowest number you would be willing to stop on assuming you are in the lead.]

Spinning order:
GameShowFan9001
LiteBulb88
Plinkoman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline LiteBulb88

• 4/15/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #109 on: July 12, 2021, 05:00:00 PM »
My numbers are 17 and 19. I'll stay if and only if one of the following two conditions holds:

1. I'm in the lead and I spun 55 cents or more on my first spin.
OR
2. I'm tied for the lead and I spun 70 cents or more on my first spin.

P. S. That camera was almost $800? That was a very nice trap prize, Dwayne :-D.

Online GameShowFan9001

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #110 on: July 12, 2021, 06:59:27 PM »
Ehhhhhhhhh...gimme 20 and 20, stop if my first spin is 60 or more

Also...
That’s a fair question, and it deserves a fair answer:

It is not. I always try not to include destination fees when calculating car prices.
I sincerely apologize if I come off as rude/negative or if I seem like I'm just rambling, but I would definitely strongly suggest including the destination fees whenever possible since they're a mandatory charge on new cars -- if you look on any Monroney/window sticker for a new car, it'll have the destination fee listed (possibly under a different name like freight) and included in the total price, and if you were actually buying the car, you wouldn't be allowed to negotiate that charge

I would also suggest, however, that if you do choose not to include destination fees, you should say so ahead of time, perhaps in the car description or as a little "destination fees will not be included" disclaimer before the show, since otherwise players would have no way to know that destination was excluded, and I imagine most, if not all of us, would operate under the assumption that destination is correctly included like it is on the real show, and in this case, would've lost out on the car due to that assumption if they made it to the car in the first place, but would've won if destination was included

Offline Plinkoman

• 5/28/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #111 on: July 12, 2021, 07:19:15 PM »
12 & 11. Stop only if I win.
1,669 days until I am re-eligible to be a contestant on The Price Is Right!

No longer a Push Over!

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #112 on: July 12, 2021, 09:31:47 PM »
*GameShowFan9001 winds up and lets the wheel fly!*

GameShowFan9001, looking for redemption after that Half Off playing, can win enough cash to soothe those wounds... $1,000 or even $25,000 on this wheel, to say nothing of the showcases...

And it might come to a stop on... ooh, that 75 would be a good number! Will it stick?

Yes! And GameShowFan is quite content with that! Go stand over there next to the leaderboard!

And next we have LiteBulb88, with his love seat in tow and looking for more... give it a spin!

*LiteBulb attempts to finesse the wheel but it falls just short of a complete revolution, landing on the 60*

And I don't think that'll make it all the way around. All right, LiteBulb, you grab the wheel here, and I'll grab it here, and together we'll...

*both pull the wheel down, and it easily makes two rotations*

And there we go. That'll clear it easily.

And, you know, you just might be glad it did, because here comes that dollar...

Look at this!

Look at this!

*Dwayne holds his breath... oh no, not again...*

Stop!

Stop!

Aww... a little too much oomph for the dollar. You have 15 cents, spin it again.

*again, LiteBulb gives the wheel a gentle spin, aiming for a spot... but the wheel falls just short of making a clear revolution, landing on the dollar again*

And this spin won't count, it's got to go all the way around. Which, again, I'm sure is good news, you didn't want the dollar again. Come on, together, let's give it a big spin!

*again, both pull on the wheel and the wheel goes around once, twice, coming up on three times...*

Looking for anything from 60 to 85...

There goes the 70...

You need that 80 to come around again, but I don't know if it has enough gas...

No. LiteBulb, it's been a pleasure having you on the show. Enjoy your loveseat!

And that brings us to Plinkoman. Plinkoman played Easy as 123 and won a doorful of prizes, and would just love to do some more winning in the showcases.

*Plinkoman gives the wheel a moderate spin*

You need to beat a 75...

...and you just might tie GameShowFan if it comes around here....

Not quite, 40 cents is your base score, you'll need 60 for that dollar.

*Plinkoman gives the wheel another moderate spin*

And we're looking for that 60... and there it goes, and it's not going to come around again...

*Dwayne's heartbeat during that segment finally normalizes... well, the worst is over...*

And you'd be able to do wonders with that 50, but will it stop in time? Nope...

Plinkoman, 70 cents would be a good score any other day, but you're a nickel shy today. Thank you for playing, and enjoy your prizes!

GameShowFan9001, guess what? YOU will be in the showcases following this announcement!

*...Dwayne, halving calmed a bit, reaches for his clipboard to see what's on deck for the showcases and realizes that he's left his clipboard backstage! Oops! Booking it, he runs back to go and locate it before the break ends*

Stay tuned! Don't go away!

----

Also...I sincerely apologize if I come off as rude/negative or if I seem like I'm just rambling, but I would definitely strongly suggest including the destination fees whenever possible since they're a mandatory charge on new cars -- if you look on any Monroney/window sticker for a new car, it'll have the destination fee listed (possibly under a different name like freight) and included in the total price, and if you were actually buying the car, you wouldn't be allowed to negotiate that charge

I would also suggest, however, that if you do choose not to include destination fees, you should say so ahead of time, perhaps in the car description or as a little "destination fees will not be included" disclaimer before the show, since otherwise players would have no way to know that destination was excluded, and I imagine most, if not all of us, would operate under the assumption that destination is correctly included like it is on the real show, and in this case, would've lost out on the car due to that assumption if they made it to the car in the first place, but would've won if destination was included

[That's good feedback. I've calculated car costs without destination fees in all of my previous HYOs, assuming (probably erroneously) that when the show calculated MSRP for cars they did not include those costs--after all, they're not including shipping and handling in the ARP for any other prizes, right? I'll definitely keep that in mind for future HYOs. It wouldn't have made a difference in Let 'Em Roll, but know that destination costs aren't included in the ARP if any other cars appear in this episode. Now you all have a hint as to why I'm not much of a CSS threat...]

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #113 on: July 13, 2021, 01:03:39 AM »
Both of the contestants in our showcase today have a game show fandom level that is OVER 9000!

Because the top winner in our showcase is none other than TPIRfan#9821! #9821 has been right about quite a bit all show, and he's ready for his final test!

And our runner up is GameShowFan9001, hungry for a big win to come his way!

Each of you will bid shown a showcase FILLED with fabulous prizes, and the one who bids closer to the Actual Retail Price of their own showcase--without going over, of course--will win it!

And, if you are the winner, and you're within $250 of your showcase total, you will win BOTH showcases! And you'll make our friend Dwayne here pleased as punch!

Now, pay close attention to this first showcase, because it could go to either one of you. Good luck!

*cue Valse Sentimentale*

This showcase contains prizes revealed as we visit the Transportation Farm!

And look who's running the Transportation Farm! It's our lovely ModelBot 4000! She has some words of wisdom for us. What has leading a farm taught you, ModelBot 4000?

"Why, the best model of transportation is by walking on your own two feet... because you can use your designer shoes!"

Dress in style with shoes from Christian Louboutin! This collection of four pairs of men's designer sneakers and penny loafers and women's sneakers and sandals will allow you to flaunt your affluence! Who needs anything more when you have the mark of high-end Parisan fashion designer Christian Louboutin on your soles?

But not everybody is happy with the way ModelBot 4000 is running the farm! After coming together, all the vehicles with wheels came together decided that they'd be better off without ModelBot 4000. So they staged a revolution and drove her from Transportation Farm! And who's leading this revolution? Why, it's being led by a fleet... OF NEW CARS!!!

*cue Aquarium*

It's a fleet of four Ride-On Speedster toy automobiles! Each car comes equipped with a real turnable steering wheel, and is tested to be safe and stable on carpet, tarmac, gravel, and grass. Made from durable metal, plastic front and rear bumpers and real rubber tires, is appropriate for children ages 1 to 3 years old! Adult supervision required.

Now that the Transportation Farm is completely autonomous, they establish a code of ethics for all the transportation methods to follow. "All vehicles are friends." "Do not drink gasoline to excess." But the question of a leadership vacuum isn't fully settled.

Before long, a cry rings out on Transportation Farm. "Four wheels good! Two wheels bad!" It's no surprise who is leading it... it's the MERCEDES-BENZ!!!

*cue Dance of the Knights*

From Tobi, this electric miniature reproduction licensed by Mercedes-Benz measures 42" by 28" and can support up to 88 pounds and wheel toddler-aged children around any flat surface! Running for up to 2 hours on a single charge and can be operated either manually or via remote control, you're certain that your youngsters will be both safe and stylish. Seat belts and functional doors included!

Naturally, the rallying cry of the car is not unopposed. Another voice is heard ringing out across the farm: "Four wheels good! Two wheels better!" Who's trying to stake their claim in Transportation Farm? Why it would have to be... the new moped!

The Moto Pro X-PRO Bali 150 gets great gas mileage on its four-stroke, air cooled 150cc engine. Street legal, too, so you'll feel the wind in your face travelling at speeds up to 45 miles per hour!

Finally, ModelBot 4000 returned to Transportation Farm and, seeing the power struggle, decided to haul all of the other smaller modes of transportation away... using...

*Truck cue*

HER NEW CAR...!!!!!

...T!!!!!!

Carry up to four passengers in the Villager 2x2 Golf Cart! A licensed street vehicle in all 50 states, with a weight limit up to 800 pounds and operable for up to 30 miles on a single charge, you'll be able to navigate crowded areas with ease! Watch those you pass by sneer with jealousy as you travel past them at speeds up to 23 miles per hour! And with its 48-volt electric motor, it's eco-friendly, too! The Villager 2x2!

And this showcase, which was quickly prepared during the break and hopefully will not be studied by grade-school English teachers as any sort of extended allegory, can be yours if The Price is Right!

And TPIRfan#9821, as the top winner in the show today, you have the right to bid on the showcase if you choose, or pass it to GameShowFan9001 and claim Showcase #2 as your own. What would you like to do?

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
« Reply #114 on: July 13, 2021, 04:30:18 AM »
Oh cool, this reminds me of the The Masque of the Red Death, where after the red was hit twice in a row, Dwayne wanted to murder all of us.

Since there's no way in heck a car's showing up in these showcases, I'll just take a whole bunch of motorized crud. This heart of this showcase is definitely the golf cart, which I'm foolishly am going to peg at $10k. With that in mind, let's go with $16,061. I'd normally go $16,251, but at this point, hidden rules are out the window.

9001, be prepared to go with a $1 bid.
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #115 on: July 13, 2021, 03:42:50 PM »
*DING!*

$16,061 it is for the motorized devices!

9001, THIS is your showcase!

GameShowFan9001, your showcase contains prizes revealed as we visit ModelBot 4000, who, since the end of that last showcase, has been stranded in the middle of the desert!

"After being out here for so long, I really am parched!," complains ModelBot. "Why, I'm so dehydrated, it reminds me of the dehydrated snacks I used to enjoy..."

"from my new air fryer!"

It's the YEDI Total Package air fryer! The only air fryer to ever be selected for Oprah's Favorite Things list, you'll be able to deep fry your favorite foods with 85% less fat than traditional deep-frying methods. Perfect for health-conscious who love a tasty treat! Includes dehydration functions, too, as well as a recipe book and 11 accessories!

As ModelBot continues onward, she continues her lament.

"The climate is so hot and dry! If I have to be in a desert climate, I'd prefer to be in the cold, semi-arid climate...

...of central Mexico!"

You and a guest will fly round-trip coach from Los Angeles to Zacatecas, Mexico, located in the beautiful temperate central region of Mexico, where you'll enjoy a six-night stay at the City Express Zacatecas! Visit the rich historical sights of a city protected as a World Heritage Site. You'll be able to see nearby art museums, cathedrals, and archeological sites that will make you marvel at the region's rich history. And we've included a bus tour of the city!

Finally, after hours and hours on end, as ModelBot staggers over a sand dune, she can't believe what she sees.

"I thought there was no way we'd ever see one of these again!" she said. "This must be a mirage!"

And ModelBot is correct. What she is seeing IS actually a mirage...

But some people around these parts might also refer to it as...

A NEW CAR!!!!

The 2021 Mitsubishi Mirage! Comes with standard equipment, 1.2L three-cylinder engine, five speed manual transmission, and front wheel drive. The Mitsubishi Mirage!

And this showcase, which ends with ModelBot speeding away into the sunset back to the relative safety of our studio, can be yours if The Price is Right!

Take a good look, 9001, because that showcase belongs to you... what do you bid?

Online GameShowFan9001

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #116 on: July 13, 2021, 05:20:03 PM »
Before I bid, am I correct to assume that the Mirage is a base-level ES?  Also, could I get an image or two of what the City Express Zacatecas actually looks like, perhaps a shot of the inside of the room or of the outside of the hotel?  I would do it myself, but y'know, I'd rather not accidentally discover any prices in the process...

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #117 on: July 13, 2021, 05:32:11 PM »
Yes, it is a base level ES.

Here's some shots from the hotel's website:

Online GameShowFan9001

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #118 on: July 13, 2021, 06:30:47 PM »
Thanks; in that case, I'll bid $15,061, cause that trip feels extremely cheap for some reason

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #119 on: July 13, 2021, 08:16:26 PM »
*DING!*

$15,061 for GameShowFan9001. $16,061 for TPIRfan#9821. Who will the winner be? Stand by to find out!

----------------------------------

Welcome back! Let's find out who the winner is!

We'll begin with #9821.

#9821, you were shown a golf cart, some designer shoes, a moped, and a variety of toy cars. You bid $16,061 on it.

TPIRfan#9821, the actual price of your showcase... IS...

*cracks envelope*

oh my...

SIXTEEN THOUSAND...

*Dwayne's heartbeat can be heard palpitating from across the stage*

THREE HUNDRED...

SIXTY SIX dollars.

And that leaves a difference of only...

three hundred five dollars. That was a very, very good bid!

Now, 9001, in order for you to win your showcase, you must come closer than $305. It's a tall order, but it is possible!

9001, you were shown a Mitsubishi Mirage, a trip to Mexico, and an air fryer. You bid $15,061, exactly a thousand dollars less than #9821.

9001.... the actual retail price of your showcase IS!

*cracks envelope*

*Dwayne is about to have a heart attack... why was the $305 difference revealed first?... It can only mean...*

for a difference of...

...and TPIRfan#9821, that difference will hold up, and you're our big winner!

*#9821 begins to go ballistic, running across the stage to enjoy all his vehicles*

*Dwayne faints in relief*

9001, thanks for being on the show with us today. Happy to have you with us.

*TPIRfan#9821's friends and family join him onstage in the winner's walk*

TPIRfan#9821 cleaned up! He's won over $51,000 in prizes today--and over $27,000 of it in cash! Not bad at ALL for a budget show!

Folks, this is gamesurf reminding you, help control the pet population. Have your pets spayed or neutered! Goodbye, everybody!

This is AnnouncerTron 3000, speaking for gamesurf's Price is Right! A HYO Forums production!

---------------------

To everybody who participated, thank you! First off, let's go over the winners' totals, and there's one name that towers above everybody else:

TPIRfan#9821: $51,143 (dishwasher, iMac, ATV, $27,300 cash, toy cars, power wheels Mercedes, designer shoes, moped, golf cart)
Plinkoman: $5,489 (Twilight Zone lazy susan, jukebox, outdoor TV, digital home gym)
123123123: $3,299 (OneWheel, $1,500 cash)
geniusinmath: $2,300 (grill, $500 cash)
LiteBulb88: $2,050 (freezer, loveseat)
GameShowFan9001: $635 (blender, mixer, popcorn maker, portable translator, breakfast maker)
Nate Powalie: $124 (watch, expired supplement)
tpiradam: $124 (watch, expired supplement)
MSTieScott: $124 (watch, expired supplement)

All in all, you succeeded in winning a total of $65,288 in prizes today! That's about 35% of all the cash and prizes offered in IUFBs, pricing games, and the showcases.

But, I'm able to tell you that the total budget for this episode, determined before the show began, was...

$64,200, meaning you've successfully bust the budget! Congrats! Dwayne has told us that we will have to make up the difference by cutting back on catering...

One key reason why you ended up busting the budget was because it very much appears that at least two of you cracked the Showcase Showdown formula! This one wasn't terribly complicated: the wheel advanced the number of spaces that was the number you submitted plus the number of seconds (0-59) on the timestamp when you submitted it. If this came to less than 20, I repeated the spin but adding the timestamp above it.

It still took some timing and a bit of luck to finesse the wheel (as the timestamp won't be locked in until the post goes through, and per HYO Forum rules, editing post-hoc is not allowed) I have to assume that #9821 was paying close attention to the other two spins and realized the pattern, and that earned him $26,000! And #9821 wasn't the only one--I also got a DM from Scott gleefully warning me that if he made it up onstage he believed he would be able to do the same. Dwayne is sure breathing a sigh of relief that that didn't happen...

Naturally, future Showcase Showdown formulas will be different, so don't think you'll be able to pull off that same trick in future HYOs!

Notes on the pricing game setups:

Do The Math was obviously a Scott tribute, as he's the one who originated the idea of a "reactive budget" show, and it was meant to be won. It was not, however, meant to have two prizes from the real-life TPIR on the same day... that was just an incredible coincidence.

Let 'Em Roll was luck-based way to determine the tenor of the rest of the show. If the car was one, we'd hit budget mode early. If not, I would keep normal setups for the other prizes. Unfortunately for 123123123, the dice weren't on their side, but it meant the show could still be somewhat normal from that point forward.

Had the car been won, Around the World had a $6,000 trip to Aspen lined up to replace the $9,000 trip to Tokyo. I really liked the idea of a travel-themed quickie and wanted to pay it tribute. It's a very creative idea and one of the best PG ideas I've seen on the board.

The second half was set up for a mostly normal show (a $6000 package in Easy as 123, relatively easy PGs in Half Off, and a $20,000 Hyundai Elantra as the final price in More or Less)... but once lightning struck in the first Showcase Showdown, all bets were off. That was the true turning point of the show. After that, I leaned towards making setups cheaper, rather than harder, because part of the appeal IMO is seeing things spiral more and more out of control as things are won.

Yes, I've been guilty of not including destination and handling fees in my car prices in the past--that will change in future episodes. I had mistakenly assumed that the show didn't include them when calculating ARPs. Future shows will include destination and handling fees in car ARPs. Thank you for pointing that out, or I would have gone on assuming that was how everybody did it. Now you know why I'm no good at CSS :D

Thanks for being patient with updates this past week, I've had a busy schedule. And thanks for being willing to play and/or watch! I had fun putting it together and I hope you did too!