Author Topic: October 30, 1981 (#4245D)  (Read 3007 times)

Offline mellongraig

• Double Showcase Winner

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: October 30, 1981 (#4245D)
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2021, 12:03:04 PM »
Set changes/notes:

There are still no baseballs on the 3 Strikes board, moving this up by a couple months. IIRC there are at least two playings from late in this Season where the baseballs were added.

Five Price Tag's small prize labels have their white on blue text by this point, replacing the yellow/black text scheme. This moves it up over three months.

This was also just the second time that Blank Check has been played. Unlike most of its life, the display between the check amount and prize value is reversed, the total displays "LOSS" instead of the amount, the VOID stamp is smaller/thinner, and there is no "Range Game" think music cue in use.

Always nice to have an OC episode from this era turn up, and this show certainly had a great first half!
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2021, 10:57:11 AM »
I'm assuming that, by this point, episodes are showing that were taped in the fall of 1981, perhaps anytime from late September to early October. If so, my guess is that the last episode where a fur coat was a prize aired sometime before this episode. (I've always guessed that the last "fur" episodes were taped during the late spring/early summer of 1981, before the annual break.)

So FTR, does someone have a guess as to when the last fur coat episode may have aired?

Brian

Offline supersaver87

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2021, 09:14:43 PM »
So FTR, does someone have a guess as to when the last fur coat episode may have aired?

The latest one I am aware of is October 16, 1981; a fur parka appeared in the Showcases.

Offline mellongraig

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2021, 08:19:41 AM »
Around this point in time, Jack Mulqueen Collection is credited at the end for the models' wardrobe, which would be common to see it pop up through the rest of Season 10 and Season 11 (J.G. Hook would be another common wardrobe at the end around this time).

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2021, 02:35:44 AM »
Set changes/notes:

There are still no baseballs on the 3 Strikes board, moving this up by a couple months. IIRC there are at least two playings from late in this Season where the baseballs were added.

Five Price Tag's small prize labels have their white on blue text by this point, replacing the yellow/black text scheme. This moves it up over three months.

This was also just the second time that Blank Check has been played. Unlike most of its life, the display between the check amount and prize value is reversed, the total displays "LOSS" instead of the amount, the VOID stamp is smaller/thinner, and there is no "Range Game" think music cue in use.

Always nice to have an OC episode from this era turn up, and this show certainly had a great first half!

Couple other notes from this episode as well having just discovered/watched it tonight (and checked here to see if was posted, was gonna myself if it wasn't):

1. Hit Me is played in a very unique way, that I dare say rarely happened over the course of its' life. I can't recall seeing it played like it is here before, although could be forgetting a time or two course.

2. SCSD #1 has a funny little scoring error, in which the first spinner is incorrectly given a score that is over $1.00.

3. This is tied with Hit Me for the most interesting thing about this show for me. Right at the end as the Winner's Walk is starting, you see something I'm not sure was really otherwise seen over the years, that something being a television monitor on the frame of one of the doors, that presumably was put there for contestants to better see prizes in their respective Showcases. Pretty neat that it was caught on camera here.

As an aside re: Blank Check, I would wonder if the first playing had aired as yet by the time this was taped or not. Does anyone have an idea of the timing between them in that way? I expected Bob to mention that it had not been seen on TV yet when he asked the contestant if she had seen the game before, like he did later for other new games that were played more than once before they were ever seen, but he didn't, which leads me to believe the first playing had aired already prior to this taping. But that could be wrong of course.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 02:40:02 AM by pricefan18 »