Author Topic: 2021 NFL Season  (Read 12066 times)

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
Re: 2021 NFL Season
« Reply #150 on: January 09, 2022, 04:46:33 PM »
The road to SoFi Stadium for the AFC will go through Tennessee.  For the first time in the Mahomes Era, Kansas City will have to win 3 games to get to the Super Bowl.  They might get an unprecedented 3 home games but it's still 3 games with no bye prior to the big game
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 65 years of The Price Is Right
« Reply #151 on: January 09, 2022, 07:44:37 PM »
New Orleans' win over Atlanta was a hollow win as San Francisco's overtime win against the Rams means the Saints are done.
Irony is when somebody writes "Your an idiot."

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #152 on: January 09, 2022, 07:59:34 PM »
With the results of these late games, the NFC section of the postseason is set.  Green Bay gets the week off, Tampa, Los Angeles, and Dallas open on their home turf, and Arizona, San Francisco, and Philadelphia at least get a chance.

Two of the three between Pittsburgh, Las Vegas, and Los Angeles will fill the final two spots in the AFC.  I still think it's a tie, but not over a 70-minute victory formation style game with both teams taking a knee.

Looks like it's the end of the road for Mike Zimmer, Matt Nagy, and Joe Judge.  Dan Campbell should be safe.  Despite making fun of Detroit over the years, what a great guy.  Deserves a chance to win there

Online moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
« Reply #153 on: January 09, 2022, 08:14:35 PM »
I'll hold off on picking Wild Card  Weekend until we know the AFC matchups, but here's my picks for the major yearly awards:

MVP: Aaron Rodgers.

Offensive Player of the Year: Cooper Kupp. (Johnathan Taylor lost my support for this award with his collapse down the stretch as well as his team's.)

Defensive Player of the Year: Aaron Donald.

Offensive Rookie of the Year: No contest Jamar Chase.

Defensive Rookie of the Year: Micah Parsons.

Coach of the Year: Mike Vrabel.

Adjustments that should be made to pricing games to make them fairer: Secret X: Add a 3rd SP so that perfect pricing ensures a win. 1/2 Off: Add a 4th set of SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Master Key: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Rat Race: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win.

The following pricing games should be retired because there's no way or no easy way to make them fair: Spelling Bee, Plinko, Punch a Bunch, Pass the Buck, Let em Roll.

The following retired pricing games should be revived: $uper $aver, Give or Keep, Buy or Sell, Hurdles, Bump, Penny Ante, Credit Card, On the Spot, Split Decision, Add em Up, Walk of Fame, Barker's Markers.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #154 on: January 10, 2022, 12:16:15 AM »
Well, the playoffs are now set, and the 14 teams are finalized!

AFC: Tennessee, Kansas City, Buffalo, Cincinnati, Las Vegas, New England, Pittsburgh
NFC: Green Bay, Tampa Bay, Dallas, Los Angeles, Arizona, San Francisco, Philadelphia

Tennessee & Green Bay have the week off and will host until the Super Bowl or until they lose, whichever comes first

Online moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
« Reply #155 on: January 10, 2022, 12:22:43 AM »
WOW! For a nanosecond I thought that the Raiders were for the tie. Perhaps if the Chargers hadn't called that weird timeout, it would have played out that way.

My Wild Card Picks:
Raiders over Bengals.
Bills over Patriots.
Chiefs over Steelers.
Buccaneers over Eagles.
Cowboys over 49ers.
Rams over Cardinals. :(
Adjustments that should be made to pricing games to make them fairer: Secret X: Add a 3rd SP so that perfect pricing ensures a win. 1/2 Off: Add a 4th set of SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Master Key: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Rat Race: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win.

The following pricing games should be retired because there's no way or no easy way to make them fair: Spelling Bee, Plinko, Punch a Bunch, Pass the Buck, Let em Roll.

The following retired pricing games should be revived: $uper $aver, Give or Keep, Buy or Sell, Hurdles, Bump, Penny Ante, Credit Card, On the Spot, Split Decision, Add em Up, Walk of Fame, Barker's Markers.

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #156 on: January 10, 2022, 03:24:39 AM »
Here's where they'll be on TV, all times Eastern:

Saturday:
Las Vegas@Cincinnati - 4:30 PM, NBC
New England@Buffalo - 8:15 PM, CBS

Sunday:
Philadelphia@Tampa Bay - 1:05 PM, Fox
San Francisco@Dallas - 4:40 PM, CBS
Pittsburgh@Kansas City - 8:15 PM, NBC

Monday:
Arizona@Los Angeles Rams - 8:20 PM, ABC and ESPN

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #157 on: January 10, 2022, 09:23:45 AM »
I'll get the opening lines on here as soon as possible (unless Ccook can do so in advance), but the NFL typically stays busy between the end of the regular season and the postseason.  In other words, today is Black Monday, where you usually see several head coaches, GMs, etc lose their jobs.

As mentioned, Vic Fangio is out, which was all but likely Saturday night before becoming official Sunday morning.

Matt Nagy's ouster is now official.  That was pretty much inevitable in the weeks leading up to the end.  Nothing on Mike Zimmer, Joe Judge or Frank Reich yet.  Not sure about Carolina or Seattle, but it is early

I guess it took posting this for the Zimmer news to become official!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2022, 09:34:25 AM by SeaBreeze341 »

Offline Superballer

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #158 on: January 10, 2022, 11:32:05 AM »
It's possible Dave Gettleman may go as the fall guy for Judge in New York first, as one suspects Giants management may not be keen on admitting another coaching error, as Judge, especially after his crazed rant last week, increasingly looks like. 

Online Nate Powalie

• In Contestant's Row
  • VikingsTerritory Intern/Ashland JDM Senior
« Reply #159 on: January 10, 2022, 12:25:55 PM »
Surprisingly, despite the end of season success, the Dolphins have fired Brian Flores. I'm not quite sure this move makes sense. I mean, the Dolphins won eight straight games to close the campaign. Oh well, sometimes that's how the NFL works.
"Can't we all just learn to get along already?" - Nate Powalie

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #160 on: January 10, 2022, 01:29:50 PM »
Got the lines right here, courtesy of CBS Sports:

Cincinnati 6-1/2 over Las Vegas
Buffalo 4-1/2 over New England
Tampa Bay 8-1/2 over Philadelphia
Dallas 3 over San Francisco
Kansas City 12-1/2 over Pittsburgh
Rams 4 over Arizona

All home teams are favored. We'll see how the numbers fluctuate between now and Saturday.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2022, 01:32:27 PM by Ccook »

Offline TPIR_rules

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #161 on: January 11, 2022, 11:06:41 AM »
Surprisingly, despite the end of season success, the Dolphins have fired Brian Flores. I'm not quite sure this move makes sense. I mean, the Dolphins won eight straight games to close the campaign. Oh well, sometimes that's how the NFL works.
They won 8 of their last 9. They lost to Tennessee last week.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #162 on: January 15, 2022, 03:13:40 PM »
Updated Lines & O/U Totals (Likely Final Totals outside of Live action):

Raiders at Bengals: 5.5 [O/U: 48.5]
Patriots at Bills: 4.5 [O/U: 43.5]
Eagles at Buccaneers: 8.5 [O/U: 45.5]
49ers at Cowboys: 3.0 [O/U: 51]
Steelers at Chiefs: 12.5 [O/U: 46]
Cardinals at Rams: 3.5 [O/U: 49.5]

Ccook thanks for posting the early lines

Announcers for the games, FYI

Raiders at Bengals: Mike Tirico & Drew Brees
Patriots at Bills: Ian Eagle & Charles Davis
Eagles at Buccaneers: Joe Buck & Troy Aikman
49ers at Cowboys: Jim Nantz & Tony Romo
Steelers at Chiefs: Al Michaels & Cris Collinsworth
Cardinals at Rams: Steve Levy, Louis Riddick, & Brian Greise

The kickoff times for the Divisional Round Matchups, which were previously disclosed Around Game 256 during the 1990-2019 Postseason Format, likely will not get disclosed until sometime on Sunday.  From what I understand, the NFL doesnít want teams that had Monday night games playing on Saturday.  However, this would only apply to the NFC.

In the past, itís been quite common that the Number One seed gets that Saturday game, which gives them an extra day of rest against their Championship foe should [the top seed] win their first game.  I do not think thereís an issue that prevents Tennessee from being announced as the Saturday game.  However, I donít see the urgency to announce it until the Conclusion of the Cowboys/Niners game.  FWIW, I donít think both 1 seeds played in the Divisional round on the second day (Sunday).  Itís usually none or just one.

The way I see it, if Philadelphia or San Francisco win, then they could announce next weekendís kickoff times on SNF.  The Rams and Cardinals would both avoid going to Green Bay.  If Dallas & Tampa both win, they could still announce the times, but IMO, the Packers would play the MNF winner on Sunday while the Titans host the surviving worst team left (which would be Pittsburgh if they win).

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #163 on: January 15, 2022, 04:06:02 PM »
The odds/line and announcing stuff come to you courtesy of FanDuel & 506 respectively.

I'm going with Cincinnati and Buffalo for the win on Saturday.  To make things simple, I ought to pick the MNF game instead of the SNF game.  That way, I can pick all 3 Sunday games at once.  While I'm leaning Arizona, I don't know who I'd bet on.  I don't think Pittsburgh can control a game for 60 Minutes against Kansas City at Arrowhead in the Patrick Mahomes Era.  I think they can be competitive since they've had recent postseason experience.  Tough it's night and day compared to the Chiefs.

Not often I pick against Belichick, and it might be the only time I do.  Or I can pick against Bill four times.  Anyway, Buffalo in general is going to be brutal.  It's the Patriots, but I still love seeing teams travel to Orchard Park and struggle thanks to the weather!

As mentioned, I can't see Burrow and this team being like past Bengals teams.  Cincinnati has the longest playoff drought, but with a win, they'll go from last to first.  In other words, they'll have the shortest playoff drought (for a minute and change).  It's there for them.  If the Raiders pull off the upset, then here come everyone to say the Bengals can't win in the playoffs.  Good things are coming Cincy's way, win or lose.  Finally, the Raiders have the 4th longest playoff drought.  Burrow's game to lose

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #164 on: January 16, 2022, 12:20:30 AM »
For the first time in over 30 years, the Cincinnati Bengals have won a playoff game.  Even though they've moved (twice!) since 1991, Cincy ended up beating the team that started their 31 year, 8 game postseason losing streak in the Raiders.  Really, the officiating was awful, but the Raiders made way too many blunders to where the game could've gotten out of hand like the one that followed it.

Buffalo defeats New England by the score of 47-17.  Not sure if they AND Tampa will get to the Super Bowl, but based on what we've seen, this Bills team is nothing like the past teams Bill and Tom owned over the course of 2 decades.  Probably a long way to avenge that, but this season proves that the Bills are really the new leaders in the AFC East (2-1 over the Pats, and a decent battle against Brady at Raymond James Stadium that went from a near wipeout to a painful loss).  Josh Allen threw for a lot & 5 TDs.

We'll know by Monday the AFC bracket, but Cincinnati will be travelling on the road for their next divisional game.  Buffalo still has a shot at getting a second consecutive home game, but it is a very long shot based on what needs to happen to play a second game at Orchard Park