Author Topic: 2021 NFL Season  (Read 32856 times)

Offline Nate Powalie

• In Contestant's Row
  • Sporcle Live Trivia Host/Freelance Sports Writer
Re: 2021 NFL Season
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2021, 07:33:17 PM »
All I have to say is PAIN. The Browns lead for almost the entire game, but then in the 4th quarter, things just fell apart and they lost to the Chiefs 33-29. *sigh* And the streak of regular season openers without a win for Cleveland gets extended another year. We'll see if they bounce back next Sunday against Houston.
"Can't we all just learn to get along already?" - Nate Powalie

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2021, 09:35:17 PM »
Washington has one long season ahead of themselves. The defense was kind of rusty at home against the Chargers, but they did manage to keep the score Close most of the game.
The NFC East is still a weak division and Washington has some talent, plus the Chargers are a pretty good team. Don't count them out yet, though the QB situation with Fitzpatrick getting hurt today is something to watch.

Not the best debut for Trevor Lawrence or Zach Wilson today, though Trevor did get over 300 yards and Wilson and the Jets as a whole looked better in the second half.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2021, 10:42:35 PM »
The NFC East is still a weak division and Washington has some talent, plus the Chargers are a pretty good team. Don't count them out yet, though the QB situation with Fitzpatrick getting hurt today is something to watch.

Not the best debut for Trevor Lawrence or Zach Wilson today, though Trevor did get over 300 yards and Wilson and the Jets as a whole looked better in the second half.

Still think it's Dallas' division to lose.  Barring BS and injury, they're the best and most complete team.  While Washington & New York did well against Tampa last year, the Cowboys fell short in a game they were slated to get blown out in.  Maybe it was an off night for the Bucs, or the Cowboys are the 2016 version of themselves.

Of course, Philadelphia rolled big time.  So unless the Giants surge, it'll be a three-way against the Cowboys, the Eagles, and Washington

Meanwhile, my pick for New England for the AFC East isn't too bad.  They didn't win, but Buffalo sorta fell by the wayside bigtime
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2021, 11:14:37 PM »
I see the Cowboys as the favorite in the NFC East also, and they did play very well despite the loss Thursday. The Eagles won big today, but I think more than anything it showed how bad the Falcons are.

Offline Gerald78

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2021, 10:49:32 AM »
The NFC West battle is going to be interesting... 8-O

Offline moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2021, 01:12:39 AM »
WEST IS BEST!  After the Raiders wild 33 -27 overtime win over the Ravens, the NFC West and the AFC West are a combined 8-0.
Adjustments that should be made to pricing games to make them fairer: Secret X: Add a 3rd SP so that perfect pricing ensures a win. 1/2 Off: Add a 4th set of SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Master Key: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Rat Race: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win.

The following pricing games should be retired because there's no way or no easy way to make them fair: Spelling Bee, Plinko, Punch a Bunch, Pass the Buck, Let em Roll, 3 Strikes.

The following retired pricing games should be revived: $uper $aver, Give or Keep, Buy or Sell, Hurdles, Bump, Penny Ante, Credit Card, On the Spot, Split Decision, Add em Up, Walk of Fame, Barker's Markers, Magic Number.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2021, 09:03:42 AM »
It helped that there were no division matchups between the 8 NFL West teams.  While the league tends to avoid Week One division games, there are typically a couple (AFC East & South this year).  None the less, the teams in the West are all rather legit at worst, especially in the NFC. 

I probably have to look it up to confirm it, but I believe that's the only time this has happened.  I doubt it occurred before 2002 where one part of the country swept the competition (which would result in a 9-0 or a 10-0 record).  More teams involved coupled with more division or regional matchups in Week One.  Pro Football Reference probably would confirm it before anyone actually made the time to double check.

By the way, it is possible that the West of both the AFC & NFC can get to 16-0.  It's unlikely, but based on the matchups, it's not super difficult to impossible either

Online Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2021, 10:02:02 AM »
Atlanta's loss to the Eagles was their worst opening day loss since 1987, when Tampa Bay beat them 48-10. The Falcons went 3-12 that year and this week they face Brady and the Bucs (early line has the Bucs giving 12). This could be an impending sign.
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2021, 08:54:41 AM »
Well, I think I finally got a featured Giants game correct.  It seems as if anytime I pick against New York, they win, and then they lose everything I pick them to win.  It would have helped to remember that Daniel Jones is (or was) undefeated against Washington.  FWIW, he did his part to win the game, but Taylor Heinicke was slightly better.  IMO, Washington was the better team and lost the lead, and their game winning FG is just a part of football.

Nevertheless, I actually picked the right way, though I probably should've hedged it, and would've been right doing so.  BTW, the media was pimping this game saying that TNF isn't boring!  Meh, the game was okay and came down to the end.  The difference is that Tampa/Dallas was slated to be better, with the Bucs winning big or just winning.  The Cowboys playing is must  see TV.  Not much anticipation between the Giants and Washington

Offline mellongraig

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2021, 09:13:22 AM »
To be honest, the Giants should not have lost this game, however an injury, questionable penalties, dropped passes, cost the team their first win.

Offline moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2021, 07:47:05 PM »
YES!! My Cardinals are 2-0 after escaping with a 34-33 win over the Vikings. Kyler Murray threw for 400 yards and 3 touchdowns and the Cardinals caught a break as the Vikings missed a 37 yard field goal at the  buzzer. The Vikings need to make a change at the kicker position.
Adjustments that should be made to pricing games to make them fairer: Secret X: Add a 3rd SP so that perfect pricing ensures a win. 1/2 Off: Add a 4th set of SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Master Key: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Rat Race: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win.

The following pricing games should be retired because there's no way or no easy way to make them fair: Spelling Bee, Plinko, Punch a Bunch, Pass the Buck, Let em Roll, 3 Strikes.

The following retired pricing games should be revived: $uper $aver, Give or Keep, Buy or Sell, Hurdles, Bump, Penny Ante, Credit Card, On the Spot, Split Decision, Add em Up, Walk of Fame, Barker's Markers, Magic Number.

Offline tpirguyMN

• In the Audience
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2021, 11:03:52 PM »
The Vikings need to make a change at the kicker position.

Greg Joseph joins the kicker club in Minnesota!  I predicted the missed extra point would come back to haunt.  He makes two 52-yard field goals and shanks the 37-yard one....  :boo:

Online Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2021, 01:49:55 AM »
Tampa Bay 48, Atlanta 25. Matt Ryan gets picked three times and Tom Brady was simply more than a match for him. Some dubious special team play calls add to the Falcons' woes.
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline Nate Powalie

• In Contestant's Row
  • Sporcle Live Trivia Host/Freelance Sports Writer
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2021, 10:47:26 AM »
Despite a rash of injuries throughout the game, it's the Browns who escape with a 31-21 win over the Texans. Consider the Bud Light victory fridges officially open in Cleveland! It's onto the Chicago game next, Sunday at 1 pm EDT.
"Can't we all just learn to get along already?" - Nate Powalie

Offline moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2021, 04:21:55 PM »
Well, my Cardinals are 3-0 despite being on the wrong end of a 1st 1/2 that looked a lot like the end of the 2013 Iron Bowl. A critical pick 6 from Bryon Murphy gave the Cardinals a lead that they never relinquished. Kyler Murray threw for 316 and scored a rushing touchdown while James Connor ran for 2 scores in a 31-19 win. GO CARDINALS! :)

Justin Turner is the GOAT kicker. No ifs, and, ors, or buts.