Author Topic: The Talk on CBS = Low Ratings  (Read 6468 times)

Offline PriceFan07

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: The Talk on CBS = Low Ratings
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2021, 09:33:13 PM »
The Talk was daily viewing for me when it was Julie, Sharon, Sheryl, Sara and Aisha. A bit less when Aisha left, A LOT less when Julie left, moreso when Sara left and now that Sharon is gone I don't watch at all. I haven't liked Elaine from the moment she joined the show and I cannot stand Jerry O'Connell (find him way too obnoxious) so there's extremely little chance I'll tune in again. They had a good thing going for quite a while.
Get Ready to Price the Prize!
George Gray! Rachel Reynolds! Amber Lancaster! Manuela Arbelaez! Alexis Gaube! And James O'Halloran!
As we play the fabulous, sixty-minute Price is Right!
And here's the star of The Price is Right - Drew Carey!

Offline BonusShell

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2021, 03:21:36 PM »
The Talk will almost certainly be cancelled once it comes up for renewal, barring a sudden and dramatic increase in ratings.

IMO, the most likely "replacement" for The Talk will be to see that hour given over to CBS's local stations. As hard as this is to believe, CBS hasn't given back any time to its local stations since September 1993, when "The New Family Feud Challenge" (a 60-minute show) was cancelled. So in a way, a move like this is overdue, especially when you consider what NBC and ABC have done in recent decades:

*Any sort of "NBC Daytime" branding ceased to exist once Days of Our Lives became that network's sole soap opera in September 2007. But to compare NBC to its rivals, one could make a case that its "daytime lineup" consists of DOOL plus the third and fourth hours of Today.

*I don't believe that any sort of "ABC Daytime" branding still exists, either. However, its current three-hour "daytime lineup" consists of General Hospital, The View, and GMA3: What You Need to Know.

Thus, even if the hour currently occupied by The Talk is given back to its local stations, CBS will still broadcast more daytime programming (3.5 hours worth) than its competitors.

On a bit of a different matter--and based on my own recollections--I believe that The Talk was created by Sara Gilbert as a show that would be a non-political alternative to The View, with a concentration on topics of concern to modern-day mothers. While The Talk indeed became a non-political alternative to The View, the former show actually found its niche by discussing celebrity gossip and other "light" topics. More than anything, The Talk was a vanity vehicle for Julie Chen. Ms. Chen, of course, is the wife of disgraced former CBS CEO Les Moonves. Because of Ms. Chen's involvement with the show, it had the full support of the entire network. But Chen left the show not long after Moonves resigned as CBS CEO, and The Talk has been in a downward spiral ever since.

Before I conclude, I wanted to share an interesting anecdote involving David Faber, since he has been in the news recently. In his role as CNBC journalist, he interviewed Mr. Moonves back in December 2009. One of the topics discussed was the announcement that As the World Turns had just been cancelled. I unfortunately cannot find the video of this interview, but Moonves did say the following: "The days of the soap opera have changed very much. Guiding Light left earlier this year and As the World Turns will leave later next year. They've had long and distinguished runs and their days are over."

https://www.gawker.com/5421720/classy-les-moonves-just-told-a-cnbc-reporter-hes-firing-his-mother-in-law-on-live-tv

https://daytimeconfidential.com/2009/12/08/les-moonves-on-cancellation-of-pg-soaps-their-day-is-over

Objectively speaking, I do not disagree with Moonves' comment (and in the case of GL, its quality had deteriorated so much to the point I considered its cancellation to have been a mercy killing). But--if you actually watch the interview--he seemed almost gleeful when making that statement. Worst of all, though, is the fact that Moonves either didn't know or didn't care that Faber's mother-in-law is actress Marie Masters, who was a long-time cast member of ATWT.

There's no doubt that Les Moonves deserves a great deal of credit for turning CBS's fortunes around, but that whole incident showed me what an awful person he is. (And that, of course, was before he placed his wife as head panelist of a show that had yet to air, and also many years before the horrendous allegations of his sexual behavior came out.) It's one thing to cancel soap operas that are doing poorly in the ratings, but its quite another to come across as smug while doing so or to not seem to care about firing your interviewer's mother-in-law.

Given all that history, I was thrilled when Moonves' day was over, and I am also glad that time seems to be up for The Talk.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2021, 03:31:46 PM by BonusShell »

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2021, 11:16:11 PM »
Given all that history, I was thrilled when Moonves' day was over, and I am also glad that time seems to be up for The Talk.

Plus, Moonves ended up not getting paid.  IOW, no severance payment after his exit (which was upheld or dismissed in court not too long ago).  So that was equally nice.  While it may have been just coincidental, it was not a great look to ax that reporters' M-I-L.  After all, Karma is real, and it played out at Les' expense.

As for The Talk, based on how great it once was, it's sad that it'll be over for good, but I'm not losing sleep over it either.  As the saying goes, all good things come to an end.  Well, close enough.  I still remain a bit surprised that CBS didn't cancel the show upon Sara & Julie's exits, mainly because it probably wasn't going to work in the long-run with someone new
« Last Edit: August 14, 2021, 11:19:49 PM by SeaBreeze341 »
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline CBSpromoman

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Patrick’s Place
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2021, 12:04:32 AM »

CBS is highly unlikely to give up an hour of daytime to their affiliates. CBS wants that revenue.

No idea what they'll do with "The Talk" -- but I'd bet money against them giving up that hour.
Visit my blog: Patrick's Place

Offline jhc2010

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2021, 08:58:59 PM »
CBS is highly unlikely to give up an hour of daytime to their affiliates. CBS wants that revenue.

No idea what they'll do with "The Talk" -- but I'd bet money against them giving up that hour.
Okay, so what do you think they’ll do with the hour? They have the weakest morning show so they likely won’t expand it from 2 to 3 hours, they aren’t going to add a soap, and they are currently failing with a talk show.

What options are left? A cooking show? A game show? A network courtroom show? Those are the only options I can think of.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2021, 09:44:06 PM »
Continue doing The Talk is an entirely viable option. It’s relatively low cost material compatible with a talk block for stations that air syndicated talk afterward. It’s not doomsday yet.

Offline sayingsorry

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2021, 10:26:20 PM »
Carrie Ann Inaba Exits CBS’ ‘The Talk’ After 3 Seasons

https://deadline.com/2021/08/carrie-ann-inaba-exit-the-talk-cbs-1234818945/

A start of the end or just a blimp on the radar for now?

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2021, 11:10:11 PM »
Blip

Offline CBSpromoman

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Patrick’s Place
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2021, 07:07:35 AM »
Okay, so what do you think they’ll do with the hour? They have the weakest morning show so they likely won’t expand it from 2 to 3 hours, they aren’t going to add a soap, and they are currently failing with a talk show.

What options are left? A cooking show? A game show? A network courtroom show? Those are the only options I can think of.

As I said, I don't have any idea what they'd do. If I had to guess, it'd be some kind of talk/opinion show that would focus on one personality rather than a panel. Between The View and The Talk, I think that's played out far more than a single personality-driven show. Most of the personality-driven shows these days are painful to watch in my book. I'd love to see CBS not go that route, but I suspect that's the first thing they'd go for.

With CBS's record in daytime, they're not going to surrender that hour to affiliates without a lot more fighting, no matter how much affiliates may hope that they do.

I'd love to see a pair of game shows return. Unfortunately, the best options are probably somewhat locked down by ABC at the moment. If it were up to me, I might try to resurrect The $25,000 Pyramid (but I'd probably make it $50K instead). Maybe also give a Super Password reboot some serious thought; Could they find a reasonable twist they could add to make it feel ready for the 21st century without killing the game?

Perhaps there's a way to make a cooking show into a game, but hopefully in a half-hour format.

If I were to really go out on a limb, depending on how well Whew! does on Buzzr, maybe that could be updated enough for a shot on daytime.

One thing is certain: the world does not need another half-hour of Family Feud playing anywhere.

Don't ask me who should host any of the games. My top picks are long gone and I've yet to be impressed with the majority of hosts who've made their debut in the past few years.

The more critical issue is that if they go the game show route, they're going to have to commit to the understanding that they're not going to find shows with a 10+-year run. There were plenty of game shows that barely made it through 13 weeks. Without a format that has proven it has the chance of working, there's a lot of investment required to get one developed and on the air.
Visit my blog: Patrick's Place

Offline BonusShell

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2021, 04:33:38 PM »
My apologies for this very belated response, but I have been really busy and--to the extent that I've participated on this message board--I've chosen to write lengthy posts in other threads.

Obviously, no network wants to give an hour back to its affiliates. Though The Talk would never receive the same level of network support after Julie Chen left the show (and Les Moonves left CBS), CBS certainly wasn't ready to give up on the show. This fact is evidenced by, among other things, all the on-screen personnel changes that have taken place since Chen departed. Yet despite all of that, The Talk is floundering in the ratings.

I would love for CBS to replace The Talk with daytime versions of Pyramid (hosted by Michael Strahan) and Press Your Luck (hosted by Elizabeth Banks). But as mentioned above, it's unlikely that shows which air in ABC Primetime would make their way to CBS Daytime. Game shows are also more expensive from a network's point of view than talk shows. While LMAD was successfully added to CBS' daytime lineup, I think that had a lot to do with the synergy it has with TPIR (among other things, both shows select their contestants from the audience, feature heavy audience participation, and have big on-stage doors/curtains as part of their sets). Neither Pyramid nor PYL has that type of synergy with LMAD and TPIR.

A new soap opera is obviously out of the question. Not only are soap operas the most expensive form of daytime programming for the networks, but only one successful daytime soap (The Bold and the Beautiful) has been launched in the past 45 years. And even in the late-80s, Bill Bell (that soap's founder) was acutely aware of just how difficult establishing a successful soap would be, which is why he insisted that CBS air B&B directly after his other soap, The Young and the Restless. (The reason why the post-Y&R timeslot was so desirable was because that soap was on the cusp of hitting the #1 spot in the ratings back when B&B debuted in 1987.)

Talk shows, of course, are the cheapest form of daytime programming. But I suspect that CBS really wouldn't have given the post-Chen version of The Talk this much of a chance if that network felt it had a viable replacement for it. ABC has The View, which caters to a very liberal audience (and features a token conservative). Fox News Channel already has a "mirror image" show in The Five, which has four conservatives and/or Trumpists (I don't consider them one and the same) plus a token liberal. I would be nice to have a political talk show in which both sides are represented equally, but I suspect that such shows are not particularly profitable. Unfortunately, it seems that the current "news" and opinion business model is to cater to those with a specific political viewpoint and echo those views.

So again, unless The Talk sees a sudden and dramatic increase in the ratings, or unless CBS can find a viable replacement, I fail to see how the hour currently occupied by The Talk won't be given back to local stations in the near future. Aside from The Talk's terrible ratings, I think that the affiliates have a lot of ammunition on their side with which they can ask for that hour back:

*CBS currently carries 4.5 hours of daytime programming versus 3 hours for NBC and ABC. (Here, I'm including the 3rd and 4th hours of Today and am also counting the 3rd hour of GMA.)

*CBS hasn't given any time back to its local stations since September 1993, while NBC and ABC have done so more recently.

*CBS Evening News has been in last place over over 25 years, save for a brief time during Bob Schieffer's tenure.

*CBS has continuously been in last place during the mornings since (at least) the early-80s.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2021, 04:45:39 PM by BonusShell »

Offline wheelfan1991

• Walking the Golden Road
  • "If you overbid ONE MORE TIME!!!"
    • Buy a Vowel Boards
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2021, 10:12:10 AM »
There hasn’t been any new soaps on daytime network TV in the 21st century. The last soap to debut was Passions in 1999. I highly doubt they’ll use that hour for a new serial if The Talk is axed. The only thing I could remotely see taking place would be a revival of an old soap like GL or ATWT. And I’m only throwing that out there since this seems to be the age of revivals/reboots.
“Failure will never overtake me if my determination to succeed is strong enough.” —Og Mandino

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2021, 01:07:59 PM »
No new soap, no revival of an old soap. Never happening. Peacock can float its five part Days spin off, but there is exactly zero chance a daily soap comes to daytime.

The idea that somehow CBS has reached this tipping point is odd. If they can make money on the slot, “giving it back” is illogical, except as a bargaining chip elsewhere. Never give up something for nothing.

Offline Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2021, 01:26:11 PM »
The idea that somehow CBS has reached this tipping point is odd. If they can make money on the slot, “giving it back” is illogical, except as a bargaining chip elsewhere. Never give up something for nothing.

“Oh, you don’t want the leading daytime lineup, strong primetime / late night lineups and NFL football every week in the fall anymore — all because of one random hour of programming in the middle of the day?  OK.  We’ll go talk to your market’s CW affiliate airing The People’s Court and Steve Wilkos around that time.  Maybe they’ll be interested in working with us.  Enjoy having entire commercial blocks filled with law firm ads when we’re gone.”
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2021, 01:58:52 PM »
Not suggesting anything that extreme.  :D That benefits no one.

But there may be things CBS would like…and things the affiliates would like. If you can come to an agreement through negotiations and trades, great. And maybe there isn’t anything right now. Sit on the asset in that case.

Offline BonusShell

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2021, 02:36:04 PM »
Successfully rebooting a cancelled soap would be an incredibly hard thing to do, since it would be hard to get casual viewers (who are creatures of habit) to return while also attracting desperately needed new viewers. There was a failed attempt to transfer All My Children and One Life to Live over to the internet, but the online versions of those shows were very short-lived. I have read rumors about a primetime AMC reboot (called "Pine Valley," after the fictional town where AMC takes place) being in the works, but I'm certainly skeptical of its success (should it even make it onto the airwaves to begin with).

AMC and OLTL, of course, were ABC shows, and they remain owned by that network; anything pertaining to those soaps wouldn't solve problems currently faced by CBS Daytime. Aside from all the problems previously discussed regarding reboots of cancelled soaps, there is the matter of Procter & Gamble's attitude towards that genre. In the 1930s, P&G took the lead in championing soap operas as a way to market its products to housewives. The company came to own and produce over a dozen serials, five of which--(The) Guiding Light, Search for Tomorrow, As the World Turns, (The) Edge of Night, and Another World--had very long lives. (P&G still owns all of these shows.) But by the mid-90s, P&G realized that producing soap operas was far removed from its core business, and started to treat its remaining three soaps (GL, ATWT, and AW) with neglect. So even if CBS wanted to reboot ATWT and/or GL, the network would have to get P&G on board, which would be next to impossible.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2021, 02:48:47 PM by BonusShell »