Author Topic: 2 Hour Prime Time Special to air 9/30, 9-11PM EDT/PDT  (Read 19451 times)

Offline EvilChameleon

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: 2 Hour Prime Time Special to air 9/30, 9-11PM EDT/PDT
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2021, 03:55:07 PM »
I guess CBS isn't scared of the game being played that day , Jags vs Bengals , lol
Primetime episodes of TPIR have beaten the NFL in the ratings before.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2021, 04:17:05 PM »
Primetime episodes of TPIR have beaten the NFL in the ratings before.

When?

If you're talking about preseason, then that wouldn't be a surprise.  In the past 20-25 years, you'd have to show the numbers because the worst games still generate great numbers.  The 70s version + the 86 specials & the 1996 show having higher ratings than the NFL I can see, but not today.  After all, TPIR at night isn't too common during the regular season.

The upcoming two-hour special is more must see TV than a Week 4 game.  Different audiences.  FWIW and IMO, the same defense that was used for having Supermarket Sweep & WOF on Sunday nights can be used for TPIR against football. 

As for the format, I can see them using the hour format stretched into a couple hours;  I agree with that move.  Pretty much double what they did for TPIR 25.  So much to choose from, and given all the specials they've had for the daytime show alone, they'll be alright
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2021, 06:11:38 PM »
Quote from: the linked Deadline article
The first prize ever offered on the show was a Chevy Vega worth $2,746
I rather suspect that this is a mangling of a line from the official press release, which correctly states that it was the first car offered.

For those who may be unaware, the first prize ever offered on the revival was in fact a fur coat worth $595.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2021, 06:15:10 PM by GuyWithFace »
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline GRWHAMMY the 2nd

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2021, 06:24:10 PM »
Watch it be Million Dollar Plinko.

only one thing, it's for the entire week.. do they dare have Plinko all 5 days?

Offline Plinkoman

• 5/28/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2021, 06:35:02 PM »

They did have it six times in one day, so...
1,719 days until I am re-eligible to be a contestant on The Price Is Right!

No longer a Push Over!

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2021, 06:36:36 PM »

They already did do a full week of Plinko with a PCH gimmick, so...

I expect five different games though.
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline GRWHAMMY the 2nd

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2021, 06:49:38 PM »
i forgot about PCH Plinko Week, tbh

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2021, 08:13:34 PM »
Regarding Thursday Night Football, even if it’s a potentially big game (by TNF standards), something has to air on the other networks. Sometimes you get sent into a battle. Such is the business.

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2021, 08:31:47 PM »
Actually, this has been possible for at least the last five years when it was CBS All-Access. As long as you were in a market that supported it, you could watch a live stream of that affiliate. It was limited when it first debuted (I was lucky I lived in a city with an O&O), but expanded rapidly to the point where I think most, if not all, affiliates are supported. Has come in very handy over the years when I wasn't home during Price time.

CBS has joined the rest of the industry in making their live feed available with TV Everywhere credentials, meaning you merely need to log in with your cable provider info. No longer do you need a subscription to Paramount+.
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2021, 10:59:55 PM »
No one's afraid of Jags/Bengals.  It's not even on FOX!
I forgot the early season TNF games aren't on FOX unless one of the teams is in the local market. I'm sure there's some who will want to see Trevor Lawrence against Joe Burrow, but yeah not that greatest matchup.

Hopefully it's not just Plinko for the game that offers a million the first week.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2021, 03:28:22 AM »
This is insanely awesome news! My hype levels have been set accordingly!

Hopefully it's not just Plinko for the game that offers a million the first week.

The word "Plinko" wasn't even mentioned in the press release. They're not going to play Plinko five times for a million dollars. I'd be extremely shocked if they didn't play it once, because it's the show's most recognizable game and they're saluting 50 years of the Price is Right. But not five times.

Maybe Million Dollar Clock Game is another one, in tribute to one of the show's best moments (though I can't see the insurance company letting them get away with the prices being $899 and $999 this time).

Quote from: CBS Press Release
Are you a huge fan of the THE PRICE IS RIGHT? Does the show hold special meaning for you? Fans are invited to submit videos of what THE PRICE IS RIGHT means to them for a chance to see themselves on TV. More info here. Videos can be submitted to PriceIsRightFans@gmail.com.

In a different world, I would have done pretty much anything to take a trip to CBS for the 50th premiere and witness history. But the chance to be a part of the 50th Anniversary remotely is the next best thing. Maybe we see how many G-R.net members we can get on air?
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline JhayPrice

« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2021, 05:22:58 AM »
I reckon the "Back to '72" game would be styled like the old Any Number, Money Game or Range Game boards! Shades of brown, orange and red would be very cool against the scheme of the turntable.

One thing I'd like to ask though is that do you think there's a chance within the premiere week that they'd play the Barker-era music for the entire episode, just like what they did with the Socially @wesome Week before?

Now's the perfect time I think, with the 1972 COD theme to be played again, after all it's The Price is Right, and I'll be happy on whatever it offers viewers (and LFATs).

Offline JT

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2021, 08:47:30 AM »
This is all very exciting!  Happy to see the prime-time special and all the efforts to recognize the magnitude of this milestone.  Back to '72 will be interesting as a limited edition pricing game but who knows, if it's a hit, maybe they will change it to Back to the '70s come Season 51 or maybe they will spin it off and play versions like Back to the '80s and Back to the '90s.  There is definitely enough rich history to draw upon for those decades!   Having a second new game is also special given how long it's been since Gridlock debuted.   Looking forward to September!

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2021, 09:15:45 AM »
The word "Plinko" wasn't even mentioned in the press release. They're not going to play Plinko five times for a million dollars. I'd be extremely shocked if they didn't play it once, because it's the show's most recognizable game and they're saluting 50 years of the Price is Right. But not five times.
I know, I was just saying that in response to those who brought up the possibility. I highly doubt it would be Plinko all five days offering a million, I would think it'll be a different game each day. It could even be the bonus for a dollar on the wheel in the bonus spin will be for a million, or the bonus for a DSW is a million.

Offline silverice878

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Broadcasting in digital.
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2021, 09:21:10 AM »
I am genuinely looking forward to seeing the primetime special, and to all the great stuff we'll be seeing in season 50!
R.I.P Gerry Rafferty.  R.I.P Doc Watson. R.I.P Chris Economaki. R.I.P Jason Leffler. R.I.P J.J Cale. R.I.P Tim Wilson. R.I.P John Pinette. R.I.P Pete Seeger. R.I.P. Marc Breslow. R.I.P David Bowie. R.I.P. Gregg Allman. R.I.P. Don Williams. R.I.P. Monty Hall. R.I.P. Tom Petty. R.I.P Robert Yates. R.I.P. Cedell Davis. R.I.P. Bud Moore. R.I.P. Hugh Masekela. R.I.P. Norette Brinegar. R.I.P. Bill Daily. R.I.P. Junior Johnson. R.I.P. Neil Peart. R.I.P. Terry Jones. R.I.P. Kobe Bryant. R.I.P. John Andretti

Keep On Rockin' The Free World.

Member of the QSW Club, 9/18/18, and renewed the membership on 12/13/19 (Friday the 13th!)