Author Topic: 2 Hour Prime Time Special to air 9/30, 9-11PM EDT/PDT  (Read 19820 times)

Offline dagdoggnh

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: 2 Hour Prime Time Special to air 9/30, 9-11PM EDT/PDT
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2021, 11:20:08 AM »
Aren't the Thursday night NFL games usually on both CBS and NFL Network?  I seem to remember CBS airing Thursday night NFL before.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2021, 11:24:45 AM by dagdoggnh »

Offline Torgo

• TPiR Alumnus
  • Essential to the Experience
    • Torgo Entertainment
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2021, 11:26:48 AM »
I'll bite.

Two hours is too long. I know the show has its 50th anniversary, but it has enough trouble keeping viewers throughout one hour.
Torgo has left the building. John and I never really cared for the way he presented himself.

Offline urbanpreppie0004

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2021, 12:38:38 PM »
I thought so too...its one time only though, for a historic milestone, so i'm ok with it.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2021, 12:47:00 PM »
Aren't the Thursday night NFL games usually on both CBS and NFL Network?  I seem to remember CBS airing Thursday night NFL before.

No.  Thursday night NFL games haven't aired on CBS for the past several years.  It used to be on CBS & NFLN though.  Prior to the move to FOX, NBC took over the second half of the 2016 & 2017 seasons (also airing simultaneously on NFL Network).

I imagine the special would've aired on Tuesday had CBS still had the rights for TNF.

Two hours of Price is fine.  I agree that I don't think Fremantle or whomever will do this again (or maybe they will), but I've watched consecutive episodes of past PIR.  2 hours of new content (though likely 1 show within the two hours is nice this time around
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2021, 12:51:49 PM »
Two hours of Price is fine.  I agree that I don't think Fremantle or whomever will do this again (or maybe they will), but I've watched consecutive episodes of past PIR.  2 hours of new content (though likely 1 show within the two hours is nice this time around

I was thinking about it last night actually, assuming the traditional 1 hour format is used spread over the 2 hours, this might allow for a much more relaxed pacing gameplay wise for the first time in many many years, going back to the very beginning of Drew's tenure. It'll be interesting to see how that translates if they take advantage of the extra time for that purpose.

Offline EvilChameleon

« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2021, 03:07:11 PM »
I'll bite.

Two hours is too long. I know the show has its 50th anniversary, but it has enough trouble keeping viewers throughout one hour.
Does it? It's the highest rated show for its timeslot, always. Doesn't sound like a show that struggles to keep viewers to me.

Offline Archviler

« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2021, 03:58:52 PM »
I'll bite.

So what? Let's grant what you claimed is true for the sake of argument. Even granting that, what does it matter? It's a 50th year anniversary show, that's a big deal and a big, special blowout for it is hardly a bad thing. Let the show have a few hours of pageantry in prime time. At worst it's clear the show doesn't work in that expanded format and lessons are learned.

Offline Vgmastr

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2021, 06:38:18 PM »
I was thinking about it last night actually, assuming the traditional 1 hour format is used spread over the 2 hours, this might allow for a much more relaxed pacing gameplay wise for the first time in many many years, going back to the very beginning of Drew's tenure. It'll be interesting to see how that translates if they take advantage of the extra time for that purpose.

This is my guess.  Kind of like the 25th Anniversary Special, though that was only an hour so they just did three pricing games with old clips mixed in.  This way they could do the full six pricing games and still have lots of time for old clips and I'm guessing a Bob appearance.

Offline bigdodgeram

• In the Audience
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2021, 06:40:34 PM »
I'll bite.

sorry no.

and probably no one else agrees with you

Offline urbanpreppie0004

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2021, 06:46:43 PM »
Bob's not appearing. People have to let that fantasy go.

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2021, 06:48:18 PM »
I'll agree that I really don't want to see one full-length episode stretched into double the length.

This is also primetime, right? So that means about an extra five minutes per hour, so we're looking at 80-85 minutes of the show? That's really long.

Still excited that they're doing this, and I know this is going to be a one-off event anyways, so I'm just going to enjoy it for what it is.

If Bob's appearing, it's a very quick (10-20s) prerecorded message to kick off the show. He's not going to Zoom in or walk through the Big Doors. Even then, I doubt it.
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline 123123123

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2021, 07:12:36 PM »
2 hours could be a lot, but I'm gonna enjoy all 120 minutes simply because its something new and its for a great occasion.

Would it be possible for it to simply be a double feature, just get brand new contestants after the first hour? Not too sure on the timings, but I'm sure that would still allows for a plethora of clips while avoiding any "dead time"

Offline EvilChameleon

« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2021, 07:51:11 PM »
I'd love to see the entrance of Bob/Drew on the first episode of each season at the start of this episode. There's a compilation on YouTube, but it is incomplete and low quality.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2021, 08:17:57 PM »
I'd love to see the entrance of Bob/Drew on the first episode of each season at the start of this episode. There's a compilation on YouTube, but it is incomplete and low quality.

I still wish they woulda done a split screen of the two entrances for decades week few years back when they got to the 2000's. I don't understand why they didn't.

Online thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2021, 09:07:22 PM »
I'll bite.

Well, I doubt it's going to be two hours with 12 pricing games and three SCSDs. My assumption is that it's going to be jam packed with clips and honestly, I'd rather them have time to show plenty of clips and interviews then to have to squeeze in as many as they can fit with the half hour format. So, I don't think I'm going to mind the hour long format with clips. It also means that unlike other retrospective specials, this one can actually feature the big wheel.
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.