Author Topic: A Conversation on the New Games  (Read 15079 times)

Offline Torgo

• TPiR Alumnus
  • Essential to the Experience
    • Torgo Entertainment
Re: A Conversation on the New Games
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2021, 09:10:20 PM »
Entertainment Tonight had a bit on the new game "Back To '72" where Kevin Frasier played it. 

From what I gather, you have three prizes that the show actually gave away in 1972.  You turn the TV dial to guess the price of each.  You have to be off by no more than $50 total to win the game (so, it's a little like Lucky 7).

Does that sound accurate or am I way off base?
Considering they explained the rules in the clip, yeah, you're spot on.

I don't think it was outright mentioned, but each item has a $50 range to play with.

This game is Cliff Hangers with 50 "spaces" to play with rather than 25, but they give you ranges to avoid dumb-ass guesses.
Torgo has left the building. John and I never really cared for the way he presented himself.

Offline Bluescreen_ODeff

• In Contestant's Row
  • Owe love...and owe love.
    • The Sweeping Developer
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2021, 09:24:45 PM »
This game is Cliff Hangers with 50 "spaces" to play with rather than 25, but they give you ranges to avoid dumb-ass guesses.

Yeah, that's a much better comparison.
Ecclesiastes 12:13

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2021, 09:31:09 PM »
The third item had a $100 range, while the first two had a $50 range.

I think this is going to be an easy game, but we’ll see.
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2021, 09:48:52 PM »
The third item had a $100 range, while the first two had a $50 range.

I think this is going to be an easy game, but we’ll see.

So it's kinda a cross between Lucky Seven and Walk of Fame sounds like. Interesting.

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2021, 10:49:22 PM »
So it's kinda a cross between Lucky Seven and Walk of Fame sounds like. Interesting.

Walk of Fame was my thought too.

That said, it seems like a very simplistic game, which helps. Now we just need the full rules on the new PA
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline brosa0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The answer is meat
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2021, 11:49:16 PM »
Entertainment Tonight had a bit on the new game "Back To '72" where Kevin Frasier played it. 

From what I gather, you have three prizes that the show actually gave away in 1972.  You turn the TV dial to guess the price of each.  You have to be off by no more than $50 total to win the game (so, it's a little like Lucky 7).

Does that sound accurate or am I way off base?

Sounds accurate, although it actually sounds and plays just like Cliff Hangers, with a $50 margin across three prizes instead of $25 (25 steps).  (Edit - sorry, didn't see the 3rd page replies :) )

I don't mind if it's an 'easier' game to play given it's a celebration of the show (and even Cliff Hangers is an easier game).   If it's only around this season then I hope it gets played most weeks, at least 3 out of every 4.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 11:54:20 PM by brosa0 »

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2021, 02:30:46 AM »
Now we just need the full rules on the new PA

I have trouble figuring out how the apparent "five pennies, lose a penny for each incorrect choice" might work in tandem with "one wrong choice for $1,500, two wrong choices for $3,000" without making the $1,500 level totally redundant.

My guess is it might be kind of like ABC's Duel, you're given five pennies that may be used to "cover" some or all of the given choices; covering a wrong choice results in a loss of a penny, but not covering the right choice is a game over.

yes, I've been totally wrong about the game's rules before, including in this very thread; so what, it's fun to speculate
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2021, 11:48:39 AM »
Considering they do give contestants $1,000 just for placing the first item in Pay the Rent, I wouldn't rule out contestants getting basically an automatic $1,500 in the new Penny Ante. I think having the pennies work the way the chips on ABC's Duel did would potentially confuse contestants and there would be too much time taken for the contestant to decide which ones to cover.

Offline William

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Thanks for the memories, Bob!
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2021, 05:40:10 PM »
I think there will be a bailout option in Penny Ante. Hypothetically, it could be like this:

Drew: "Cheryl, you have already won $XX,X00. If you go for this last item, you could win (highest amount) more. But you only have one penny left... and there are six choices for the price. So you'd have to be exactly right on your first guess. Otherwise you'll lose everything. Keep what you have or go for it... what's your decision?"

It may not work exactly like that, but that's probably pretty close. If this is correct, these are probably the best rules the game has had thus far.

Having never seen a clip of the original rules in play, it's hard to judge what it was like exactly (i.e. the pictures and concept of Finish Line looked cool, but once we saw footage, the whole thing came off as more awkward than it was worth). The concept overall seems interesting, but the fact that the board wasn't separated is weird to me.

The classic rules are fine. It served as a very quick fee game, with playing times closer to Most Expensive and One Right Price than Grocery Game and Bullseye. The penny aspect wouldn't really make sense if you didn't know the original rules, but that's kind of nitpicky.

This new incarnation looks pretty interesting from what we've seen, and I'm really excited for it!

We found out on the same day that Penny Ante was coming back to TPIR and Changing Keys was coming back to Wheel...

What year is it?!
$1,016,378 cash & prizes given away by me in my HYOs!

Offline jmorgan

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2021, 03:30:58 PM »
Sorry to get your hopes up, but Penny Ante is not back. Instead, it's a new game called To The Penny, explained by George in this Yahoo interview. The top prize is $25,000.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/price-is-right-50-years-the-big-wheel-190428397.html

Offline moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2021, 04:06:17 PM »
If I understand the rules correctly, To The Penny is a GP game where you have to guess correct prices from a list of prices, which is actually similar to Penny Ante. The difference seems to be that instead of losing pennies for an incorrect guess, you start with 5 pennies and can strategy spend them along the way to eliminate an incorrect price. I'm guessing that any incorrect guess ends the game so the strategy is where along the way to use your pennies. Sounds like an interesting game and I do like the set. The only thing that doesn't seem clear to me is whether this is a progressive game like More or Less or a bailout game like It's in the Bag.
Adjustments that should be made to pricing games to make them fairer: Secret X: Add a 3rd SP so that perfect pricing ensures a win. 1/2 Off: Add a 4th set of SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Master Key: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Rat Race: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win.

The following pricing games should be retired because there's no way or no easy way to make them fair: Spelling Bee, Plinko, Punch a Bunch, Pass the Buck, Let em Roll, 3 Strikes.

The following retired pricing games should be revived: $uper $aver, Give or Keep, Buy or Sell, Hurdles, Bump, Penny Ante, Credit Card, On the Spot, Split Decision, Add em Up, Walk of Fame, Barker's Markers, Magic Number.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2021, 10:46:38 PM »
From reading George's description in the article it sounds like a progressive game. Looks like gamesurf was pretty close on it being like the chips on ABC's Duel, except the pennies are randomly taking away incorrect prices rather than the contestant choosing which ones to get rid of.

Offline GobGlom

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2021, 11:44:17 AM »
I would say "Back to 72" is more like Range Game meets Cliffhangers.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2021, 11:58:51 AM »
I would say "Back to 72" is more like Range Game meets Cliffhangers.

I'd say a mix of those 2 plus Walk of Fame honestly, with the increasing spread. But can see that.