Author Topic: A Conversation on the New Games  (Read 15076 times)

Offline DYC

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: A Conversation on the New Games
« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2021, 07:21:46 PM »
Back to ‘72 is a pretty cool game. Wow at how they found all these vintage items in such new-ish condition.I assume it doesn’t completely qualify as a Small Prize game.. Screencaps of some original broadcasts would be a cool feature, but it’s interesting to see live items from that era. I agree with previous comments in this thread about the backing cues, and the blue brand logo price tags from the early years would be a nice touch. I’m assuming it may not be ‘overplayed’ this season- mining all those specific physical items from 50 years ago may be challenging and expensive.
After seeing its’ initial playing for $50,000, what would you speculate that the normal prize package will be? I can’t imagine it’d be a cash game, with the addition of To the Penny. Is this challenging enough to be a Car Game, or will it be an oddball extra-long One-Prize ‘quickie’ game?
Cynical me wishes they’d substitute this in place of Gridlock! as a Car Game for this one season.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 07:31:49 PM by DYC »

Offline DCYTGuy

• Outside in Line
« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2021, 10:37:31 PM »
Since they are reading the original copy from '72, I think it would be a nice tribute to the late great Johnny Olson if they played the audio from the show from back then where he describes that item rather than have George read it.

I liked the prop of having to dial the knob to set the price -- took me back to my youth when we actually had to get up to change the channel lol.

Offline moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2021, 11:43:44 PM »
I really enjoyed back to 72. The TV set type set was nice and I liked the reference to the "new" that was part of the show's original name. It's a super cool concept to actually have to guess 1972 prices and using the original prize copies was a nice touch. It's nice to see such a cool cash game and the amount of leeway of $50 off total over the 3 items is completely reasonable. I guessed $10 on the hand mixer, $30 on the totes bag, and $100 on the radio. Speaking of the radio, if I had $36 to work with, I agree with others that if the lowest possible price is $50, then $86 is the lowest I'd guess. I'd want to maximize my margin of error. Perhaps contestants will pick up on the strategy element as the game is played throughout the year. Seeing $50000 won on Back to 72's 1st ever playing was totally awesome baby! :) This game is FAR superior to the most recent cash game, Hot Seat, and it's ashamed we will only have Back to 72 for 1 season. Well done Price on creating a fair, unique, and enjoyable cash game. If only it wasn't for the short term only..........
Adjustments that should be made to pricing games to make them fairer: Secret X: Add a 3rd SP so that perfect pricing ensures a win. 1/2 Off: Add a 4th set of SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Master Key: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Rat Race: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win.

The following pricing games should be retired because there's no way or no easy way to make them fair: Spelling Bee, Plinko, Punch a Bunch, Pass the Buck, Let em Roll, 3 Strikes.

The following retired pricing games should be revived: $uper $aver, Give or Keep, Buy or Sell, Hurdles, Bump, Penny Ante, Credit Card, On the Spot, Split Decision, Add em Up, Walk of Fame, Barker's Markers, Magic Number.

Offline AussieEvil

• Not Hurt By Pain™
« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2021, 12:36:40 AM »
I mean, if they want to retool it after S50, they could just call it "The Price was Right"
"Fans are clingy complaining dipshits who will never ever be grateful for any concession you make. The moment you shut out their shrill, tremulous voices the happier you will be for it."

Offline GobGlom

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2021, 08:47:17 AM »
I mean, if they want to retool it after S50, they could just call it "The Price was Right"

I had thought the same thing.

Offline tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2021, 07:37:57 PM »
This kinda trends into spoiler territory, but is Back to 72 the first game to debut in the sixth slot?
They can be close at the top, too.
#42SP

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2021, 07:53:58 PM »
Vend-o-Price definitely debuted sixth, don't know if it was the first though.
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline pricefan1991

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2021, 08:00:18 PM »
Gridlock did as well

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #53 on: September 16, 2021, 04:55:03 AM »
This kinda trends into spoiler territory, but is Back to 72 the first game to debut in the sixth slot?

Not even close.  Off-hand, the earliest one I know of is Trader Bob.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #54 on: September 16, 2021, 06:06:30 PM »
Not even close.  Off-hand, the earliest one I know of is Trader Bob.
WOW, this is definitely something I didn't think the old administration would have done.  Thanks for that.
They can be close at the top, too.
#42SP

Offline brosa0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The answer is meat
« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2021, 07:14:17 AM »
A video showing and explaining To The Penny has been posted to the show's Twitter account:

Invalid Tweet ID

Offline UltraPrice

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2021, 07:43:39 AM »
When is the last time two Pricing games debuted in the same week?

Offline whinbaby

• Double Showcase Winner
  • No whining!
« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2021, 07:59:01 AM »
When is the last time two Pricing games debuted in the same week?
It was 1978.  The games were Shower Game and It's Optional, both on episode #2931D.

Offline MrZone

• 10/24/01
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2021, 11:50:14 AM »
It was 1978.  The games were Shower Game and It's Optional, both on episode #2931D.

I thought it was 2001 with Pass the Buck and Bonkers which was aired out of order because of the September attacks.

Offline DYC

« Reply #59 on: September 17, 2021, 12:00:12 PM »
It seems within reason that they could have stayed with the “tradition” the show has developed of largely overhauling past ideas and rebranding them, ala Balance Game or Time is Money, and just called this thing Penny Ante. It’s the same game, just a little steroided. It’s like bringing back SuperBall!!! with a new set and same gameplay with a twist but calling it RollerBall!!! this time. To the Penny will be a great game but it’s really a big missed opportunity that unfortunately officially closes the book on the triumphant return of Penny Ante some of us had hoped for. Glad it’s spirit lives on.