Author Topic: A Conversation on the New Games  (Read 15083 times)

Offline Torgo

• TPiR Alumnus
  • Essential to the Experience
    • Torgo Entertainment
Re: A Conversation on the New Games
« Reply #60 on: September 17, 2021, 02:18:12 PM »
It seems within reason that they could have stayed with the “tradition” the show has developed of largely overhauling past ideas and rebranding them, ala Balance Game or Time is Money, and just called this thing Penny Ante. It’s the same game, just a little steroided. It’s like bringing back SuperBall!!! with a new set and same gameplay with a twist but calling it RollerBall!!! this time. To the Penny will be a great game but it’s really a big missed opportunity that unfortunately officially closes the book on the triumphant return of Penny Ante some of us had hoped for. Glad it’s spirit lives on.

I wonder if they intentionally stayed away from the name due to the connotations "ante" has toward gambling.

I won't lose sleep over it.
Torgo has left the building. John and I never really cared for the way he presented himself.

Offline GR_Man_9009

• Walking the Golden Road
  • BBT Rules!
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #61 on: September 17, 2021, 03:01:33 PM »
A video showing and explaining To The Penny has been posted to the show's Twitter account:

Invalid Tweet ID
I clicked the link and it says "Hmm...this page doesn't exist. Try searching for something else." So does anyone have a clip of the playing of this pricing game. I googled To The Penny TPIR and I can't find a video of it.
The Big Bang Theory Rules!

Offline Torgo

• TPiR Alumnus
  • Essential to the Experience
    • Torgo Entertainment
« Reply #62 on: September 17, 2021, 03:44:45 PM »
I clicked the link and it says "Hmm...this page doesn't exist. Try searching for something else." So does anyone have a clip of the playing of this pricing game. I googled To The Penny TPIR and I can't find a video of it.
I see you're not content with not knowing how to look for Back to '72, so you're trying again.

Try harder.
Torgo has left the building. John and I never really cared for the way he presented himself.

Offline GobGlom

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #63 on: September 17, 2021, 05:06:12 PM »
"To The Penny" is actually quite a good game and the production designers did a hell of a job with the set for it. It was a bit odd that the sign was flown in but the rest, including the board rotation, was very well done.

Offline brosa0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The answer is meat
« Reply #64 on: September 17, 2021, 09:02:02 PM »
I loved the reveal and the sign coming down.  That prop is very tall.

With the two new games in play, I wonder if we'll see any refurbishments of existing games this season like we have in recent years.

Offline AussieEvil

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Not Hurt By Pain™
« Reply #65 on: September 18, 2021, 03:37:26 AM »
I liked the sign being flown in, reminded me a bit of Classic Concentration.
"Fans are clingy complaining dipshits who will never ever be grateful for any concession you make. The moment you shut out their shrill, tremulous voices the happier you will be for it."

Offline shell_game

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #66 on: September 18, 2021, 08:23:55 AM »

With the two new games in play, I wonder if we'll see any refurbishments of existing games this season like we have in recent years.

I'm pretty sure the backdrop inside Safecrackers was new this week, replicating the inside of a safe. Unless I just haven't been paying enough attention in recent years.

Online TPIRighteous

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #67 on: September 18, 2021, 12:14:53 PM »
I wonder if they intentionally stayed away from the name due to the connotations "ante" has toward gambling.

Maybe it's just me, but I feel like the phrase "penny ante" is not as much a part of the public lexicon as it was 40 years ago.

This game is definitely a spiritual successor to Penny Ante, but I would bet it has a new name because they decided it needed one.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #68 on: September 18, 2021, 01:00:06 PM »
It seems within reason that they could have stayed with the “tradition” the show has developed of largely overhauling past ideas and rebranding them, ala Balance Game or Time is Money, and just called this thing Penny Ante. It’s the same game, just a little steroided. It’s like bringing back SuperBall!!! with a new set and same gameplay with a twist but calling it RollerBall!!! this time. To the Penny will be a great game but it’s really a big missed opportunity that unfortunately officially closes the book on the triumphant return of Penny Ante some of us had hoped for. Glad it’s spirit lives on.

I love the pricing game Penny Ante, but I have to admit that I don’t know what a “penny ante” is outside of the context of TPIR without looking it up. The new title is a little more meaningful to non-TPIR-diehards.

Not to mention, we just got a new game that’s all about explicitly referencing the show’s past.

Guess we know TPIR’s stance on the “are pennies useful” debate /s
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline theamazingracer

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #69 on: September 18, 2021, 08:11:06 PM »
Both games are solid C+ games, but that's about it.

Back to '72 is clearly designed to be a one-season game, but even then I can't see it being an "every week" game, it's just too derivative and winning all the necessary eBay auctions to actually GET the vintage props in time for filming would be a nightmare for production. Especially when there aren't that many prizes in the right price range from 1972 to use in the first place (it's literally just Bonus Game and 5 Price Tags small prizes, the very first Give or Keep playing, and mayyybe the cheaper Any Number consolation items), and even fewer if you take out fur episodes. It'll probably turn up about 10-12 times in total maximum. (Do we know if the contestants win the old prizes? Do they win modern versions of the same item? Cash equivalents? Or is it just for show?)

To the Penny has clearly had a lot of thought go into it, but I don't know that it works all that well. This premiere was an anticlimax for sure, but I feel like it not being an anticlimax is going to be rare. Starting with gimme prices to build excitement is probably going to be standard operating procedure, so it's going to be common for people to make it to the $6k item with most/all of their coins intact, not to mention that Drew seemed to be repeatedly implying that you find out you're wrong by being shown the correct price rather than just being told you're wrong and having to try again. If you've got a game that sounds like it'd be hard but in actuality has so many layers of half-baked strategy that it becomes a confusing doddle, and it takes up an exorbitant amount of time in the process, something has gone very wrong.

I don't think it helped that they both continued the show's continuing trends towards cash games (maybe Back to '72 isn't actually one and the $50k was just a thematic prize; either way, To the Penny is at least the fourth of Drew's era when there were only five (and a half, if you count Fortune Hunter) introduced in the entire time Bob was there) and big gimmick sets that are going to be impossible to upgrade when they start to feel dated in ten years (how would you even update something like Hot Seat, a game that already felt like the set was out of date when it debuted?). Sure, Back to '72 isn't going to be here long enough to get an upgrade, but To the Penny is probably going to be stuck with that look until it's retired and... as much as it feels more like a classic Price game visually than basically everything since, like, More or Less, it also feels like it should be better than it is given the excellent theme and the cool rotating display. It's like... it's like they tried for something as iconic as Cliff Hangers or Safe Crackers, and the promise was there, and yet we still ended up with something only marginally better than, say, Freeze Frame.

Offline Thatgameshowguy

• 2/1/2023: Superfan!
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • my trailer is all flat and paper-y
« Reply #70 on: September 18, 2021, 09:23:18 PM »
What's wrong with cash games? Easier for the show because they don't have to find so many prizes. Easier on the budget because they can make it harder to get a full win yet still give something away. Easier for the contestants because they can just have the taxes deducted straight out of it.

My personal opinion, if I had the choice between some cash and some of the crap they offered during the Barker era (the giant gas pump and the train set in a briefcase come to mind) I'd take a few hundred dollars cash every single time.
YES! You have them all right! You win $2,500! You will putt from the closest line!

Jhc2010 putts from the closest line and WINS!!!

Congratulations! Those 2 cars are yours! Now we go to the Showcase Showdown! You will spin first. Pick a number between 1 and 20.