Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 9/13/2021 (TPiR Season 50 Premiere)  (Read 13152 times)

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: TPiR Recap - 9/13/2021 (TPiR Season 50 Premiere)
« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2021, 09:36:09 AM »
Gonna play devil's advocate here as to what was just said, but why couldn't they do the best of both worlds and do a big premiere, and then 4 non-descript shows they could air/re-air any way they wanted? Then you still get the benefit of roughly a week of reruns that could be slotted anywhere, while still getting a huge premiere show as well. Course granted we ARE getting the Primetime special, which helps a lot in this regard (still sorta feel it would been best to air that first leading into Premiere Week), but I digress.

Daytime television in particular (and by nature) has developed a less frequent viewing pattern. If you watch 2-3x episodes of a show in a typical week, you're a regular viewer. Even the soaps always prone to recapping what came before, have adapted more to this over the years to the point it's almost comical the amount of rehashing occurs in the dialogue.

The networks are also going to know which of those days tend to get the biggest bang for the buck. Is it Mondays? Maybe not. Didn't they hold the famous 80K wheel spin to run out of order? (Or maybe I'm imagining that.) In any case, spreading the wealth out over a week proverbially vs a big shebang and four "Meh, the set looks nice" shows isn't necessary for a program without returning champs. The hard core fan base makes more of the individual premiere than regular viewers. If they miss Monday and see Tuesday and Thursday, those shows seem special to them--with the million dollar games, and what have you.

Yes, there will always be one-off themed shows vs. weeks. But the return week is an easy "gimme" to spread out to catch the widest possible audience with some special moments.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2021, 10:04:59 AM »
Daytime television in particular (and by nature) has developed a less frequent viewing pattern. If you watch 2-3x episodes of a show in a typical week, you're a regular viewer. Even the soaps always prone to recapping what came before, have adapted more to this over the years to the point it's almost comical the amount of rehashing occurs in the dialogue.

The networks are also going to know which of those days tend to get the biggest bang for the buck. Is it Mondays? Maybe not. Didn't they hold the famous 80K wheel spin to run out of order? (Or maybe I'm imagining that.) In any case, spreading the wealth out over a week proverbially vs a big shebang and four "Meh, the set looks nice" shows isn't necessary for a program without returning champs. The hard core fan base makes more of the individual premiere than regular viewers. If they miss Monday and see Tuesday and Thursday, those shows seem special to them--with the million dollar games, and what have you.

Yes, there will always be one-off themed shows vs. weeks. But the return week is an easy "gimme" to spread out to catch the widest possible audience with some special moments.

For record when I said non-descript, I didn't mean like how premiere weeks would go in Barker era, I meant like.....do the same thing you do as now.....except...have a specific premiere show as part of that. Maybe that'd make it tougher to rerun then to network though? Not sure, but I don't really see why it couldn't be done that way.

Offline greg

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2021, 11:15:39 AM »
I would love to see every game and every item up for be a high end prize instead of regular items and $1 million game.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2021, 01:37:07 PM »
However the one million dollar gimmick makes for easier promotion on TV.

Offline moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
« Reply #49 on: September 14, 2021, 04:24:32 PM »
For those who felt this was an underwhelming season premiere, especially for season 50, I strongly suspect that the pomp, circumstance, and historical acknowledgment that you were looking for will be part of the primetime specials and that's where you'll get that content.

It was absolutely awesome to see such a big bonus offered and won on Bonus Game.

Taking the $100000 and running was the ONLY decision in Renty today.

Of course, very happy to see the first Money Game playing of the new season won.
Adjustments that should be made to pricing games to make them fairer: Secret X: Add a 3rd SP so that perfect pricing ensures a win. 1/2 Off: Add a 4th set of SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Master Key: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Rat Race: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win.

The following pricing games should be retired because there's no way or no easy way to make them fair: Spelling Bee, Plinko, Punch a Bunch, Pass the Buck, Let em Roll, 3 Strikes.

The following retired pricing games should be revived: $uper $aver, Give or Keep, Buy or Sell, Hurdles, Bump, Penny Ante, Credit Card, On the Spot, Split Decision, Add em Up, Walk of Fame, Barker's Markers, Magic Number.

Offline sayingsorry

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #50 on: September 14, 2021, 04:30:49 PM »
For those who felt this was an underwhelming season premiere, especially for season 50, I strongly suspect that the pomp, circumstance, and historical acknowledgment that you were looking for will be part of the primetime specials and that's where you'll get that content.

It was absolutely awesome to see such a big bonus offered and won on Bonus Game.

Taking the $100000 and running was the ONLY decision in Renty today.

Of course, very happy to see the first Money Game playing of the new season won.

While yes, I agree that the prime time will be better, this episode just comes across as a regular old big money week episode. Planning and sticking with a premier episode can help it come across as so much better as this one

Offline jonesdylan874

• Outside in Line
  • I love me some Price.
« Reply #51 on: September 14, 2021, 05:54:59 PM »
A good way to start the big 5-0! We had a $100K bailout in $1M Rent. The most expensive prize ever offered in Bonus Game was won. And someone was off by $450 in the showcase. 4 more chances to make someone a millionaire this week. I want someone to do it!

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #52 on: September 14, 2021, 06:19:07 PM »
Well, only three more chances now (in terms of a chance at crowning a millionaire).

The $1,000,000 gimmick for a week is fair enough (and a business decision).  That I agree.  As mentioned, spreading out everything in terms of paying tribute to this season is smart.  If they had made the first episode the best ever, then the rest of the week may have been a downer.  Plus, if they made the entire week super special, it could cause for a sub-par season.  Just my opinion.

The only way someone might go for the Million in PTR is if the values stayed the same as they normally would, and then instead of winning $100,000, they'd win $1,000,000.  A second way would be to go for the million with 100K fully guaranteed.

As mentioned, the premieres being rerun in the Barker era didn't really happen.  Don't recall it being the case in Bob's last 16 seasons.  IIRC, in Season 22, when it was pre-empted, that was too bad.  Had to wait for a decade or two to see it for the first time.  Season 27 suffered the same fate, except it didn't.  The premiere date in 1998 was affected, so they move the premiere back to Tuesday, with the scheduled Tuesday episode airing at the end of the year
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline JT

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #53 on: September 16, 2021, 08:29:39 AM »
Just caught Monday's and Tuesday's show and as many of you said Monday was a disappointment for sure.  Monday's show only ran Monday because of the PTR $100K win which was forced for a $100K win.   What I particularly didn't like was there was no fanfare for $100K.  Even the contestant didn't seem super-excited - he won $100,000 people - more than a year's salary for most Americans!   People get more excited when they win $1.00 on the wheel sometimes!   They should have made the floors:  $10K, $20K, $50K and then $1million. So it would have been a 50 grand win for Season 50.   But nevertheless, great to see a small live audience, contestant's row, the snazzy "5O" on the doors, etc.  A few balloons on the stage would have been nice and the yellow walls on the wheel are not exciting at all.  They should added a more golden design vs. just plain yellow. 

Offline brosa0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The answer is meat
« Reply #54 on: September 17, 2021, 08:48:16 PM »
I can't help but think back to Season 40's premiere which was incredible for a number of reasons: playing for 4 cars, playing Race Game for cars, playing Race Game first for the first time ever that we know of, and an amazing contestant who aced the game on their first attempt and was totally overwhelmed with joy.   

When season premieres roll around each year, I've always wondered how they could top that - particularly for Season 50 - and Pay The Rent set up this way just wasn't the answer.   Even a normal $100,000 PTR win with their go-to easy setup (least to most expensive being correct) would've been more exciting than a $100,000 bail out.