Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 9/14/2021  (Read 12007 times)

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
Re: TPiR Recap - 9/14/2021
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2021, 06:30:16 PM »
It would be cool to see screencaps of the items from when they originally appeared though, and probably well within the realm of possibility.
It would certainly remove the potential issues with attempting to track down the actual physical items. It would also allow the game to use larger-size SPs than could reasonably fit inside the TV screen prop.

I think they should have used the blue cards with the brand name for the small prizes.
The blue sponsor cards were not in place during 1972, instead being orange/tan.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 06:37:54 PM by GuyWithFace »
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline ssetta

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2021, 06:51:28 PM »
This is the first time I have ever heard of a game that they're planning on retiring right when they debut it. But even when I first saw it, I was gonna say, "they can't give away $50,000 all the time!" and I was right. So I bet that even this season it's not gonna be played that often. Probably only like one or two more times. Has there ever been a game like this before, where it was only supposed to last for a short period of time?

Offline LiteBulb88

• 4/15/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2021, 07:02:17 PM »
It doesn't need to be played for $50,000 every time. It'll probably settle into a standard prize game like Cliffhangers.

Offline 123123123

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2021, 07:09:27 PM »
Today's show kept the enjoyment going from yesterday, with the big highlight being the debut of Back to '72.

I like the throwback turntable design and hearing the old copy of the prizes. Gameplay is simple enough, taking aspects from Range, Cliff and Lucky Seven (bit surprised L7 was played today as well tbh)

I don't know if that's just for the first playing or not, but the one thing that shocked me is the $50k prize. Since its a single season game, I figured they'd want to get their money's worth and play it a fair amount. The game isn't necessary easy (I lost $30 on the mixer alone), but I have a hard time believing its harder than any of the cash games that offer less.

Or maybe they just play it 5 times all season and really play up the limited time angle, I guess time will tell. I'm already enjoying this season a lot

Offline Eddie

• Walking the Golden Road
    • #4234K: The very first show I attended
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2021, 07:39:44 PM »
The new "Back to '72" Pricing Game looks great!
I love the way the guess the price by turning a dial.
Shows I Attended:
#4234K, #4235K, #8453K,
#0342L, #0314L, #0315L, #0321L, #0322L,
#0511L, #0513L & #0515L

Offline JarodJGames

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2021, 09:40:05 PM »
-Seemed like the Contestant got the hang of Back to '72
-$10,000 in Plinko is Decent if it was a Normal Playing, but if this Plinko was under Normal Money Spread it would have been way less
-Easy setup on Lucky 7, Guessing 5 all the way would leave you with $3 Left (If my math is correct) $2 would then be added to your winnings
-I knew Showcase 2 was gonna be more than Showcase 1 but not $55K level more

CSS Stats:
Season 17-Only one of the Top 28 to fail to cash ONE SHOWCASE (12th Overall in Points)
Season 18-8th in Points, 39th in Cash
Season 19 Regular Season-11th in Points, 29th in Cash
Season 19 Playoffs-13th in Points, Failed to Cash
FIRST CASHED SHOWCASE EVER: 11/17/21

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2021, 10:01:23 PM »
Recap posted.
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline UltraPrice

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2021, 10:41:42 PM »
For the first time 23 years, the $5,000 slot in Plinko was used.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2021, 11:10:01 PM »
Lucky $even was definitely supposed to be won.  All Mark had to do was guess 5 every time.

I really like Back to '72, and I hope it ends up sticking around after this season.  The set is neat, and more importantly, they created a format to go with it that actually makes sense.  I wish they'd used some classic cues during it, but they kind of made up for that by doing a bunch of Breslow-style wipes.  I do wish we knew whether it's actually a cash game (I sort of doubt it) and whether it's a small prize game (I could see it going either way).

Speaking of Back to '72, why heck did Karen only give herself $30 leeway in one direction on the last item when she had $36 left? :confused:

What is up with the Big Wheel's beeps?  They've been very tinny-sounding this week -- it almost sounds like something with the effect is broken.

I like the Back To '72 game so far! It seems like it'll be a fun game! I just wish it wasn't temporary, and exclusive to this season! Hopefully there will be enough popular demand to keep that game for a while longer! You know! Wheel Of Fortune's cash format was only supposed to be for about a month in 1987, and they've kept it to this day! Plus, Month Hall was only planning to host Let's Make A Deal for only a month on the 1990 version, and he stuck around until that version was cancelled in early 1991!

Also, yes, I'd love to see somebody win a million dollars this week in one of the remaining games!

Holy good Lord, dude, use periods.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline ProfPrice

• In the Audience
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2021, 11:15:17 PM »
Would Back to ‘72 work better if the ARP for each item wasn’t revealed until after the contestant has made their guess for all 3 items similar to the setup of Give or Keep?

If there are keeping the high cash prize for the game, then holding off on revealing the prices may increase the difficulty of the game.

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2021, 11:22:18 PM »
Okay okay, Back to 72 is good. Nice throwback, nice 70s vibe, nice gameplay. I will still maintain it's more like Cliff than any other game though. I'm gonna call bull on those prize copies, those definitely did not feel like originals. Also would have loved to have heard original 1972 cues as think music, but it is what it is. Does its job and does it well, plus there's $50,000. 8/10

CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2021, 11:24:47 PM »
Would Back to ‘72 work better if the ARP for each item wasn’t revealed until after the contestant has made their guess for all 3 items similar to the setup of Give or Keep?

If there are keeping the high cash prize for the game, then holding off on revealing the prices may increase the difficulty of the game.

They aren't keeping $50,000. It was a debut thing.
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2021, 11:43:22 PM »
I really enjoyed back to 72. The TV set type set was nice and I liked the reference to the "new" that was part of the show's original name. It's a super cool concept to actually have to guess 1972 prices and using the original prize copies was a nice touch. It's nice to see such a cool cash game and the amount of leeway of $50 off total over the 3 items is completely reasonable. I guessed $10 on the hand mixer, $30 on the totes bag, and $100 on the radio. Speaking of the radio, if I had $36 to work with, I agree with others that if the lowest possible price is $50, then $86 is the lowest I'd guess. I'd want to maximize my margin of error. Perhaps contestants will pick up on the strategy element as the game is played throughout the year. Seeing $50000 won on Back to 72's 1st ever playing was totally awesome baby! :) This game is FAR superior to the most recent cash game, Hot Seat, and it's ashamed we will only have Back to 72 for 1 season. Well done Price on creating a fair, unique, and enjoyable cash game. If only it wasn't for the short term only..........
Adjustments that should be made to pricing games to make them fairer: Secret X: Add a 3rd SP so that perfect pricing ensures a win. 1/2 Off: Add a 4th set of SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Master Key: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Rat Race: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win.

The following pricing games should be retired because there's no way or no easy way to make them fair: Spelling Bee, Plinko, Punch a Bunch, Pass the Buck, Let em Roll, 3 Strikes.

The following retired pricing games should be revived: $uper $aver, Give or Keep, Buy or Sell, Hurdles, Bump, Penny Ante, Credit Card, On the Spot, Split Decision, Add em Up, Walk of Fame, Barker's Markers, Magic Number.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2021, 11:55:07 PM »
Back to ‘72 is wonderful! It works as fanservice for the diehards, it works as a reminder of the showman’s longevity for everyone else. I love the dial the contestant has to turn—imagine how much less fun it would be if they just had the contestant state their bid a la Cliffhangers. I don’t even mind the fact that it has a built-in expiration date. It’s going to feel like a special game even when it isn’t being played for $50,000.

The best thing that can be said for Plinko is that they upped the dollar values of the consolation prizes so you don’t have the awkwardness of getting everybody to tune in only to see the contestant win $2,100. A $10,000 win at least doesn’t feel like a waste of a promo.

Alternate universe proposal for Million Dollar Plinko: $1,000/$2,500/$5,000/$0/$50,000 for the slots, and one of the four SP podiums holds a “Golden Plinko chip” instead of a regular pink one. The golden chip is dropped last and is worth 20x whatever it lands in.

This way the show would either get all the headlines and media coverage of a Million Dollar Plinko winner, or they send the contestant off with a decent but non-budget-busting chunk of change, and the game (hopefully) would build to an exciting finish Plinko doesn’t usually get.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2021, 11:55:37 PM »

That's exactly what I was thinking! No need to throw out a perfectly good game at the end of the season!

Seconded.  I'm optimistic that they'll change their minds, but they'd have to call it something else.  As mentioned elsewhere it is Cliff Hangers + Range Game and even Walk of Fame.  Finally, a little bit of Now and Then.  Nonetheless, I actually love Back to '72!
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck