Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 9/14/2021  (Read 11928 times)

Offline Grammar-Nazi

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Beware my red pen....
Re: TPiR Recap - 9/14/2021
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2021, 12:01:09 AM »
The apostrophe in Back to ’72 is upside down and it annoys the hell out of me.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle." Garrison Keillor

Offline plinkostick1

• In the Audience
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2021, 12:03:15 AM »
The Sears mixer was a 5 Price Tags prize here

and the "town crier" lamp on another episode

Similar copy but not exact, but also could have been changed over the season. I was skeptical with the mixer as it didn't really sound like "serious" copy but that probably comes down to George's cadence when reading it.

Offline kingpin623

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2021, 01:36:16 AM »

Seconded.  I'm optimistic that they'll change their minds, but they'd have to call it something else. 

Should they decide to keep Back To ‘72 after the end of this season, they can either update the year annually (Back To ‘73, Back To ‘74, etc.).  I was also thinking they could change the name to “50 Years Ago…”, though right now they’re actually using items and prices from 49 years ago.

Speaking of Back To ‘72, I thought the hand mixer was a pic, graphic, or even CGI until they rotated the turntable inside the mock-up TV.  Somehow it didn’t look 3D or even real. And Drew reaching into the TV to open the door of the Town Crier radio dispelled any myth for me that the TV had a transparent screen.

Lastly, if they keep the pricing ranges the same for Back To ‘72, a contestant who gets the first two items on the nose cannot lose on the third item if they make sure they guess right smack in the middle of the $100 range for said third item.

JBK

Offline PimpinJC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2021, 06:45:16 AM »
I almost wish Back to ‘72 was done a la “The Price WAS Right” 1994’s version.  The show has every old show digitized, and they obviously have the old copy…why not just show a clip of Johnny describing the small prize and have the contestant guess it?
All Hail Sinfonia!

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2021, 09:49:49 AM »
Wouldn't they have to pay Johnny's estate money for having him "read" the copy again in a new episode?

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2021, 10:35:26 AM »
Wouldn't they have to pay Johnny's estate money for having him "read" the copy again in a new episode?

Half did think about that before, could be possible. By the by though, who would control his estate? Does anyone know? He never had kids so....

Also, re: The Price WAS Right name that's been tossed about here last couple days.....would there have been any legal issues using that name with the Goodson family (Johnathon specifically obviously)? Or am I totally overthinking that given Fremantle's overall rights to the show in its' various incarnations?

Offline Guint

• Double Showcase Winner
  • ^ Top Notch Production Values ^
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2021, 10:51:01 AM »
Given that Fremantle can air hundreds, heck, thousands of game show episodes where Johnny announces across Buzzr/Barker Era Price, I don't think that's a concern.

But personally, as great as Johnny was, I'm not tuning in to the show now to listen to him or Bob. I'm here for Drew and George now, and it's unfair to George to have to yield to an old clip recording every time they want to play this game this season.

And speaking of this season, I'm glad this is a one-season-and-done game. It's fine, but we're simply playing Cliff with an easier range because the subject material is harder. I'm also not necessarily sold on the idea of playing a pricing game which requires zero knowledge of current, present day prizes and the like (someone could likely counter that Now....or Then is also like this but that is incorrect; you can know the prices of everything "NOW" and know that the prices that don't match are "THEN"s).

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2021, 12:13:44 PM »
Given that Fremantle can air hundreds, heck, thousands of game show episodes where Johnny announces across Buzzr/Barker Era Price, I don't think that's a concern.
Reruns, particularly on a niche streaming channel, are a whole different thing than new episodes on a broadcast network.  I don't think you can blow it off that easily.  That being said, I will freely admit I don't have knowledge of Johnny's contract, or anything else related to this - it was just the thought I had as to why they aren't using Johnny's voice.  Everything boils down to money.

Offline RedWing512

• In the Audience
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2021, 01:05:16 PM »
I'm also not necessarily sold on the idea of playing a pricing game which requires zero knowledge of current, present day prizes and the like...
I don't think anybody--both in the past regime and the current one--have ever explicitly stated that the show must focus on modern-day goods and prices.

Offline cvjs1993

• Outside in Line
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2021, 01:47:59 PM »
Maximum winnings: $1,390,908

Offline Guint

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2021, 01:58:02 PM »
Reruns, particularly on a niche streaming channel, are a whole different thing than new episodes on a broadcast network.  I don't think you can blow it off that easily.

Fair, but in reading this I'm also reminded of the times they've shown classic clips on the daytime show such as from the first show and from the Yolanda incident, when Johnny's voice was intact.

I don't think anybody--both in the past regime and the current one--have ever explicitly stated that the show must focus on modern-day goods and prices.

Knowing the prices of items from 2021 vs. knowing the prices of items from 1972 are two different skillsets.

Again, it's a one season game meant to celebrate the milestone so I won't get too hyped up about it, but I'll be glad to see it go once the season is over.

Offline RedWing512

• In the Audience
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2021, 08:28:48 PM »
Knowing the prices of items from 2021 vs. knowing the prices of items from 1972 are two different skillsets.
That’s like asking a Jeopardy contestant to only study up on modern history, even though ancient history is still a potential subject.

In the end, It’s still pricing knowledge irregardless, and that’s the whole premise of the show.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2021, 08:35:58 PM »
That’s like asking a Jeopardy contestant to only study up on modern history, even though ancient history is still a potential subject.

In the end, It’s still pricing knowledge irregardless, and that’s the whole premise of the show.

Not to mention Now or Then has asked similar of contestants (if including current prices into mix too), for many years now. This isn't that new in that sense.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2021, 10:49:13 PM »
Love the set for Back to 72, they really captured the look of the original set. I'm surprised that it's purely about pricing the item as it was in 1972 though, I thought there would be some incorporation of the price in 2021, like it would involve the contestant guessing the dollar amount difference between 1972 and today.

Offline Guint

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2021, 11:24:44 PM »

Huh?

What does what is asked on Jeopardy! have anything to do with what is asked on Price? That is one of the most apples/oranges comparisons I have ever seen.

Not to mention Now or Then has asked similar of contestants (if including current prices into mix too), for many years now. This isn't that new in that sense.

Read my original argument: Now....or Then does not require contestants to know the prices of items from a certain date. You in theory could know the prices of everything as they are today, and if the price doesn't match what you know it is today, it logically has to be a THEN price. Back to '72 requires you know the prices from the past and you have no other way of reasoning it out.

The only reasonable comparison to Back to '72 is the Price WAS Right from the '94 Davidson version, which famously ran out of material so they ended up bringing out the Wheel for several episodes. Great track record!