Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 9/17/2021  (Read 6446 times)

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: TPiR Recap - 9/17/2021
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2021, 11:29:07 PM »
Another disappointing finish for the million dollar game this week. Would've been interesting to see whether Edward kept $50,000 if he had that.

Loved the 1972 games on the Cover Up board at the beginning.

To the Penny is a solid game, nice set and the gameplay has a nice bit of strategy involved. A masterful playing from Nat, not using or losing any pennies until he gave them up at the final product to automatically win. It'll be an exciting climax when a contestant doesn't have all their pennies before getting

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a more masterful playing of a game’s premiere.
The only other possibilities I can think of are Step Up and Stack the Deck.

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2021, 11:57:55 PM »
About To the Penny-
It was played so flawlessly that it left me with questions..
There has to be a risk option of some type, right? For instance if a contestant makes mistakes early and has less than 2 pennies left at any point before the $25,000 item they won’t be afforded a second chance for making another wrong pick (since ‘second chances’ cost 2 pennies), so does the game end once you’re unable to buy a second chance or will it be a ‘if you make one more wrong pick you lose what you’ve won so far’ thing?
There seems like a lot of strategies that could develop, though without any bailout or ‘lose everything’ elements (that we know of yet) it’s hard to see how any contestant could ever leave this game with anything less than the $3000 prize.

It's odd since Drew didn't say any bailout options this playing (or was it edited out?), but you can easily wipe out all your pennies with more than one wrong guess on a GP.

Maybe it's a player-friendly bail you can do at any time. Will have to see
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline ironman00710

• TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2021, 12:11:48 AM »
One thing I liked about "To The Penny" (besides it's masterful playing today), was its reveal! Lift up the curtain or whatever it was that was hiding it, to reveal the top prize of the game. Then the large set piece rotating in place like the golf ball on the Hole in One (or Two) prop. And finally, the sign marquee dropping from the ceiling into place above the large penny set piece.

Offline moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2021, 01:34:45 AM »
We're 2 for 2 on new games. To The Penny is a fantastic new cash game. Great strategy element in deciding when and where to use the pennies and pennies themselves really pretty cool looking. The gum and dressing had pretty obvious correct picks amongst the prices. The supplement was relatively easy. Maybe some people would get tripped by the $16.19 but I think that most would realize the $12.99 was the correct price for the supplement.  The Bagels were more challenging although I too would have correctly guessed $4.99 without spending a penny in advance. Like Nat, I would have won by having all 5 pennies left at the conditioner and spending them to eliminate the prices there. I incorrectly guessed $6.49 for the conditioner. This game has a good pricing concept, has a nice strategy element, and is fun to play along at home with.

LOVED the 1972 pics on Cover Up today. It was interesting to see pic of the original Bullseye and Clock Game back to back. Clock Game is somewhat of a derivative of the original Bullseye. You know, guess a price, be told higher or lower, and keeping guessing until you win or your chances run out. In Clock Game, these chances are based on time rather than a number of opportunities. And of course, seeing a pic of the original Money Game set was totally awesome baby!

Hard to know what to make of Edward's decision in Punch a Bunch to throw away $10,000. On 1 hand, there were only 7 cards higher and 35 cards lower. On the other hand, the amount of money on the higher cards was extremely substantial. Having to make this decision is the classic being caught a rock and hard place. The odds say stay, the stakes say go on.
Adjustments that should be made to pricing games to make them fairer: Secret X: Add a 3rd SP so that perfect pricing ensures a win. 1/2 Off: Add a 4th set of SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Master Key: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Rat Race: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win.

The following pricing games should be retired because there's no way or no easy way to make them fair: Spelling Bee, Plinko, Punch a Bunch, Pass the Buck, Let em Roll, 3 Strikes.

The following retired pricing games should be revived: $uper $aver, Give or Keep, Buy or Sell, Hurdles, Bump, Penny Ante, Credit Card, On the Spot, Split Decision, Add em Up, Walk of Fame, Barker's Markers, Magic Number.

Offline cvjs1993

• Outside in Line
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2021, 05:20:50 AM »
Maximum winnings: $1,370,260

Offline tpirfansince1972

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2021, 03:33:27 PM »
They say a penny that is heads-up is good luck, while a penny face down is bad luck.

The motif used for this game has all the pennies showing the "tails" side.  Obviously it was not bad luck whatsoever for the first player or playing of this really nice new game!

Offline ssetta

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2021, 03:34:52 PM »
It was nice to see To The Penny won, but I feel like because of that, it's not clear what would happen if the game is not played perfectly. Like how many chances do they have? Is it supposed to be like It's In the Bag or Hot Seat?

Also, I'm disappointed there was no Million Dollar Win. They came close a few times. Maybe they'll bring it back for the best of 2021 show, who knows?

Offline ProfPrice

• In the Audience
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2021, 11:14:21 PM »
I know it would not add anything to the game play, but selfishly, I wish that when a contestant makes their choice on an item in To The Penny that Drew would have to tap the price and then we would hear the Penny Ante/Double Dare sound effect before hearing an eventual ding or buzz.

Offline PimpinJC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2021, 02:07:00 AM »
Is this the first time since the first 2 weeks of 1972 that the original Bullseye has been shown on TV!?

Loved “To the Penny”.  Really hope that game stays, and that was awesome to see it won perfectly.  By the way, I wonder if those are the same pennies that were used at one point in Penny Ante.

Overall, a pretty disappointing week in terms of the million dollars being won, although that’s not really surprising given that the out-of-order show which aired on Monday didn’t have a win.  I know the show tries to “manufacture hype” by airing the highest win to start the week, but it also makes the week obviously anti-climactic especially if the best they can show isn’t a win.
All Hail Sinfonia!