Author Topic: Never will happen (an analogy with Major League Baseball)  (Read 11719 times)

Offline RatRace10

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: Never will happen (an analogy with Major League Baseball)
« Reply #60 on: September 29, 2021, 10:12:30 AM »
A Double Showcase Winner's difference being revealed first instead of second.

Offline ironman00710

• TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #61 on: September 29, 2021, 10:59:48 AM »
In the Barker era, they did write the amount. Bob usually insisted on it. The TPIR Wiki's Check Game gallery also shows at least one playing from Season 36 where the amount was written out.

After its refurbishment in 2013, they got rid of the line for writing the worded amount since nobody wrote it anymore.

Yup. Bob always made sure the contestants did, otherwise how could it be a valid check? :-)

I never noticed the line was removed entirely in the reburshment, but looking at a video of it now, that is indeed the case.

Offline ClockGameJohn

• TPiR Alumnus &
  • Executive Producer
« Reply #62 on: September 29, 2021, 03:56:09 PM »
I remember not long after Drew started hosting, he said in an interview that he wanted to tape Price on location in Cleveland (and other cities, but especially in his home state). Obviously, that will probably never happen.

Don’t be so sure…
John

Offline PIRfanSince72

« Reply #63 on: October 08, 2021, 03:43:38 PM »
- Side by Side and Freeze Frame played for 5-digit prices (although this is technically possible with a 3-digit and a 2-digit stacked together on SBS and alternating 3-digit and 2-digit tiles on FF).
- Reducing prize money offered for cash games
- Price doing an international show just like what Alex on J! did on Sweden back in the 90's
- Change the intro theme within Drew's tenure
- Change the Big Wheel's design to a new one
- Do an all-male or all-female show (one happened in 1973?)
- Do another decades week

I do believe you are correct.  The Valentine's Day episode in 1973 Bob announced that all the contestants would be female.  Then he joked that all of the males in the audience were standing up and walking out.  That leads me to another question for a separate post altogether...

Offline PIRfanSince72

« Reply #64 on: October 08, 2021, 03:45:35 PM »
The very first showcase winner ever was Paul.  He played Bonus Game in 1972, won, got all 4 small prizes on the board, and the Bonus was in window #3.

For Price's 40th season, they had contestants return.  Paul was on an episode, he again played Bonus Game, again got all 4 small prizes right and again the Bonus was in window #3.

I'd be very hard pressed to believe Paul would come back a third time, play Bonus Game yet again, win all 4 small prizes yet again, and have the Bonus appear in window #3 again!

Offline ThatDonGuy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #65 on: October 10, 2021, 01:57:06 PM »
A Car-Winner is first to spin on the big wheel.

Didn't this happen once? I remember one daytime episode where the first spinner in the first SCSD had something like $19,000 in prizes, but I can't remember if it was becasuse of a car or not. (I also want to say that one of the other two hit the $10,000 twice in Plinko, but again, I may be thinking of a different episode.)

Offline rn

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #66 on: October 10, 2021, 07:09:39 PM »
Pink Panther music from Safe Crackers.

Offline jlgarfield

• Rider Pride!
« Reply #67 on: October 12, 2021, 02:57:43 PM »
A Double Showcase Winner's difference being revealed first instead of second.

Also, by extension, both showcase bids being within the DSW threshold, although it happened at least a few times in the early years of the show's run.

Offline ThatDonGuy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #68 on: October 15, 2021, 12:50:23 PM »
Didn't this happen once? I remember one daytime episode where the first spinner in the first SCSD had something like $19,000 in prizes, but I can't remember if it was becasuse of a car or not. (I also want to say that one of the other two hit the $10,000 twice in Plinko, but again, I may be thinking of a different episode.)

Found the episode I was thinking of - the 30th season premiere (9/24/2001) - but it wasn't a car.
First SCSD, first spinner: $19,100 ski boat (Double Prices)
Second spinner: $23,000 cash (Plinko)
Third spinner: Triple Play win