Author Topic: Never will happen (an analogy with Major League Baseball)  (Read 11587 times)

Offline mechamind

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Not exactly "Left Field" avatars.
    • Buy a Vowel Boards
Re: Never will happen (an analogy with Major League Baseball)
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2021, 02:32:19 PM »
-Contestants reaching into Drew's pocket to pull out a perfect bid bonus.

Wait. Drew never had that happen? It just seems like something that someone might have done already, and with Drew hosting, they'd leave it in.

-The correct solution in Bonkers being HHHH or LLLL.

There was an all-red One Away in Season 37, so I wouldn't throw out all high or low in Bonkers.
Telephone Game was retired because it was lame. (And no, we’re not making that up – that really is the official reason.)
________

Fan of The Price is Right since the 1990's, my early childhood...and really happy that summer break was a thing.

Retro recapper for The Price is Right and Wheel of Fortune episodes.

Sticky Keys champion as of October 22, 2023.

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2021, 03:37:23 PM »
All the bids from Contestant's Row in an hour-long show (or longer) being under $1000. (Last time it happened I pointed it out. :) )

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2021, 03:45:52 PM »
3. Freeze Frame or Side By Side offering a five-digit prize
I certainly can see a five-digit prize being offered in Side By Side. How about this set-up? You are playing for a deluxe trip to Australia!

The price is either $13,101 or $10,113.  What say you? :)

Offline RatRace10

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2021, 07:59:16 PM »
The “season number” actually being correct on Money Game.
It's rare, but it does happen.

A contestant drawing all five numbers and placing them correctly on each draw, without pulling out a single strike on 3 Strikes (may have happened before).
It happened in the four-digit era at least once, and the contestant even lit them up in order.

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2021, 08:03:01 PM »
El Cheapo will show up again.

The last time there was even a choice less than 10 on the board was 4/20/2018, and the last time the season number was right was 5/1/2018. It's been over 3 seasons since either one happened.
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline RatRace10

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2021, 08:08:32 PM »
A showcase whose last three digits are between 000 and 250.

Apparently since they began doing this in Season 40 or so, there was only ONE exception to this, and apparently that was because they had to change or take away a prize at the last minute that resulted in the new total being in that range. They sure saved a lot of DSW's since then.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2021, 08:12:22 PM »

Apparently since they began doing this in Season 40 or so, there was only ONE exception to this, and apparently that was because they had to change or take away a prize at the last minute that resulted in the new total being in that range. They sure saved a lot of DSW's since then.

I think there have actually been three or four, but it's definitely a rarity, regardless.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline UltraPrice

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2021, 08:57:50 PM »
Ted Slauson being a contestant again.

Offline tpirfansince1972

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2021, 05:59:11 AM »
Ted Slauson being a contestant again.

This is the best one yet!

Offline ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2021, 02:29:05 PM »

There was once a showcase in the Carey era (likely Season 39) whose ARP came out to exactly $40,000. I have no idea how the producers signed off on that showcase.

Online Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2021, 03:06:37 PM »
These are great.  I just thought of another...

Dice Game car prices having 7's, 8's 9's and/or zeroes in the price.
Actually it did, pre-five digit prices.
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline GameShowFan9001

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2021, 03:08:25 PM »
Any IUFB just straight up not being won at all, and on a related note, total winnings among all players for an episode coming out to less than $3,000

Offline BonusShell

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2021, 03:09:19 PM »
Any IUFB just straight up not being won at all, and on a related note, total winnings among all players for an episode coming out to less than $3,000

According to the rules of the game, it's not even possible for an IUFB to not be won. If all contestants overbid on a given item, a second round starts; if all contestants still overbid, a third round starts, and so on, until that particular IUFB is won.

Anyway, here are the things I don't expect to ever happen again:

*A carpeted turntable with a background resembling how it looked during the Barker Era

*An on-air reunion of all living former models, including Dian, Holly, Janice, and Kathleen

*Roger Dobkowitz or Rich Fields being rehired

*The classic and beloved music cues being used on a regular (or even semi-regular) basis

*TPIR going back to the 1972-2007 main theme (instead of the watered-down version that has existed since the Carey Era began)

*TPIR getting back the five minutes or so that it has lost to commercial time over the past 30-35 years

*Money Game being played for a boat (Does anybody know the last time that happened?)

*A show where all the "cars" offered are actual cars, instead of CUVs, SUVs, or light trucks (As the majority of vehicles sold to consumers/non-businesses are now CUVs, SUVs, and light trucks, it would be rare to see an episode without at least one CUV, SUV, or light truck offered.)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2021, 03:20:28 PM by BonusShell »

Offline urbanpreppie0004

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2021, 03:41:09 PM »
I love how a fun thread has turned into another "here's what I dont like about the current show" thread.

Offline FanOfDrew87

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2021, 05:44:21 PM »
I also don't expect to see carpeting being offered as a prize on TPIR anymore.

Also, in response to someone's post regarding an exactly $40,000 Showcase value, I remember seeing a Showcase valued at exactly $15,000 in March 2006.  So a Showcase value ending with three zeros has happened at least twice, but quite rare nonetheless.