Author Topic: The Modern Conflict Sheet  (Read 1741 times)

kycatfan and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Guint

• Double Showcase Winner
  • ^ Top Notch Production Values ^
The Modern Conflict Sheet
« on: September 29, 2021, 10:48:12 PM »
For those of you who have been around the Discord chats for the last couple years, you're familiar with Wayoshi's bot that can can list "conflicts" of games.

A "conflict," for those not in the know, is when two pricing games do not get played with each other because two games have a similar element or component to them. The bot currently will auto list conflict information for the current season plus the previous four, a standard I adopted when I first came up with the modern chart. So for instance, the data auto searches through all combinations from Season 46 onward.

On the linked chart is all 78 active, non-limited pricing games in a 78x78 chart. Any combination of games that has not occurred since Season 46 is marked with a 0 and highlighted in red.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1uW60H1HhDFO4idpdoE-cq2HoQzHSLvzaii66xBOW3T0/edit?usp=sharing

But sometimes it's hard for some people to realize why something is a conflict. So I gave anybody with the link the ability to comment on the chart. Simply right click on a cell and hit comment.

(For those who think conflicts were dead post-Roger, they are very much not. They seem to invent new ones and follow them more to the letter than they used to.)

(Also, sometimes games are a 0 on the sheet merely due to rarity and not because they are actually conflicts. Case in point the Big 3 with most games because those games are rare, not to mention To the Penny with most games because it's only been played twice so far.)

I hope this can garner some interesting conversation. :)

Offline Utkman

• Outside in Line
Re: The Modern Conflict Sheet
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2021, 10:59:21 PM »
So Flip Flop holds the distinction of being the only game that has been played in the same show with every other current game.

Offline Guint

• Double Showcase Winner
  • ^ Top Notch Production Values ^
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2021, 11:05:51 PM »
At least since 2017, yes.

I capped off the list to not include all the older shows because, frankly, opinions of what is a conflict have changed over time. You can go into the Discord and figure out stuff from past seasons though, it's all there. :)

For example, Lucky $even and Card Game used to show up together all the time, but now they never show up together. I'll leave the reasoning a secret until someone figures it out, but that one shouldn't be too hard.  :-)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2021, 11:08:31 PM by Guint »

Offline namnhu12

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2021, 12:31:18 PM »
Guint,

It is a very logical answer. 

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2021, 01:02:24 PM »
For example, Lucky $even and Card Game used to show up together all the time, but now they never show up together. I'll leave the reasoning a secret until someone figures it out, but that one shouldn't be too hard.  :-)

Let's start at the very beginning...
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline BillyGr

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2021, 02:36:29 PM »
Let's start at the very beginning...

Doe, a deer, a female deer?  Oh, sorry - though that sounded like a song ;)

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2021, 03:29:17 PM »
Doe, a deer, a female deer?  Oh, sorry - though that sounded like a song ;)

Understandable. It's a very good place to start. 😁
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline FPGWillyT

• 12/22/2006
  • FPG Host & TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2021, 09:00:22 PM »
Pop quiz for everyone but the “old school”-ers, who hopefully know this answer.

Going by the “original” list, which game (which btw is very much still in rotation) had by far the most conflicts?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 09:03:59 PM by FPGWillyT »

Offline Torgo

• TPiR Alumnus
  • The leaks Mike Richards SHOULD strive for.
    • Torgo Entertainment
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2021, 11:33:30 PM »

Going by the “original” list, which game (which btw is very much still in rotation) had by far the most conflicts?
My first instinct is a fee game for a car that had a timer.

Switcheroo.
Torgo has left the building. John and I never really cared for the way he presented himself.

Offline FPGWillyT

• 12/22/2006
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2021, 11:47:56 PM »
Must be freezing cold where you are 😁

Offline Kev347

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The production values Mike SHOULD strive for.
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2021, 10:55:13 AM »
Punch A Bunch? SP game, bailout, cash, higher/lower...

Offline sideshowPA

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2021, 03:28:38 PM »

I'm going with Most Expensive here.

SELF-EDIT: Upon reflection I am going to go with Double Prices. I stayed away from DP at first because it is played so often, but it would clearly conflict with every other "pick one of these prizes" game.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 03:31:00 PM by sideshowPA »
"I don't want to hear disorganized beeping." - Bob Barker

Offline FPGWillyT

• 12/22/2006
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2021, 03:34:30 PM »
Nope and nope. 

Some conflicts are wide open obvious, some take a little thought.  For example Race Game/Freeze Frame/Magic all conflict. 

If a conflict did occur in the “old days” they usually were played in different halves.

I shall now open the floor to true old schoolers who most likely know the answer (that means you SteveGavazzi 😁)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 03:37:38 PM by FPGWillyT »

Offline FPGWillyT

• 12/22/2006
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2021, 03:45:45 PM »

SELF-EDIT: Upon reflection I am going to go with Double Prices. I stayed away from DP at first because it is played so often, but it would clearly conflict with every other "pick one of these prizes" game.

Those last two or three years I usually spent a week at a time seeing episodes being taped, eventually compiling a list of the games I saw taped live.  There was not one week where I didn’t see DP taped.  When I asked Roger “Why?” he gave the obvious answer.  “Timing”.  Not having the list in front of me, I can’t remember DP conflicting with anything other than you would usually not see two 1P games in the same show.

Offline ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2021, 04:23:53 PM »
This might sound extremely silly, but I thought Secret X and Stack the Deck would be a conflict because they have similar answer reveals (push a button to flip a sign)