Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 9/30/2021 (TPiR 50th Anniversary Primetime Special)  (Read 16023 times)

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
Re: TPiR Recap - 9/30/2021 (TPiR 50th Anniversary Primetime Special)
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2021, 03:57:11 AM »
Let me reiterate: Wayoshi is breaking no site rules. He is perfectly allowed to make posts criticizing what he sees on TV.

Those of you jumping down his throat, however, are breaking the rules.

If you don't like what Wayoshi or anyone else has to say, Ignore them and you won't have to read their posts anymore.

Back to discussion about the 50th anniversary special please!
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline mungojerry311

• In the Audience
  • TPIR Recapper
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2021, 04:28:19 AM »
I too noticed the wildly incorrect date of the debut of the Rainbow Wheel. 1981 instead of 1975! That's a difference of 5-6 years. Wonder what happened?

It was also interesting to see Golden Road played last when it is typically played first.

Lastly, I think it would have been nice to see Bob make an appearance, considering he is indelibly linked to the show. However, the guy is 97 years old and judging by the April Fools 2015 clips it was probably a wise decision not to have him appear. The tribute montage made up for this I think.

Offline HQnerd

• Outside in Line
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2021, 07:17:03 AM »
Absolutely amazing show, and I'm not just saying that because of all the pricing games wins. So many great and nostalgic moments and arguably the best pricing game line up in the show's history.

This is why I'm a strong proponent of the show being condensed to 5 pricing games and a single showcase showdown. Regular hour long shows have very little breathing room as is and cutting out some of the filler would really open up the opportunity for much better line-ups and for personalities to shine.

Offline TinoStar11

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2021, 07:51:07 AM »
When's the last time a "Plinko cycle" occurred?

The last daytime occurrence of every slot ( including 0 ) being hit in a Plinko playing , 1/13/17

Offline shell_game

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2021, 07:54:51 AM »
I enjoyed it for the look back more than the new game play. The games were good, and the prizes, but it was the rest that made it special to me.

Sitting and watching made me feel like a kid again.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2021, 10:45:20 AM »
This was just an excellent show, and a wonderful salute to the 50 year history of the show and many of its main figures most of all Bob. I don't think there's much more we could have wanted to see. It definitely didn't feel too long being two hours, it actually allowed things to move at a nice pace and be able to fit the clips, salutes, celebrity guests, etc in addition to the gameplay.

Over $10,000 jewelry as the first IUFB then a $1,299 iMac as the next one was weird. Quite a few trips tonight as well, the Hawaii trip was fitting though since it's our 50th state.

Lineup wise, I was definitely expecting Golden Road given golden anniversary (though definitely not last) and Plinko was a given, figured Back to 72 would be in, Cliff Hangers is the next most popular after Plinko, and Grocery Game since its from 72 and using the gold theme wasn't that surprising. The one surprise I thought was Hole in One rather than Any Number.

Very nice that they included all three permanent announcers before George, I was pretty surprised they used a few clips with Rich given how his exit from the show went. Could've done without reminding us of the Drewcases from season 37, but oh well. Good amount of clips of the classic Barker's Beauties as well, would've been nice for them to show Janice's car wreck too though since they showed Bob saying Rachel's was the 2nd.

They took a risk starting with Plinko given the possibility that the center slot would not be hit, but at least they got one hit. It was fitting to have the center slot $50,000.

Great job with the GP placement in Hole in One, the cleaner not being more expensive was the one tricky part. Thank goodness she made that second putt since her first one was well... bad.

The salute to the international versions was definitely a surprise, maybe they could've done something on the original Bill Cullen version instead.

Vanna White guest appearing was a nice treat, substituting for at least one of Price's classic models appearing.

Tough choice between the 1 or 2 in Golden Road, I had a feeling it would be 1 but I went with 2 also.

The tribute to Bob was touching, while it would've been great for him to make an appearance or at least a pre-recorded video message it's of course understandable why.

The really cheap for primetime first Showcase was the only real misstep tonight I thought, but they did offer a prize from a Showcase in the first episode which was nice.

Again, a great episode and wonderful tribute to this show that has been a staple of daytime television and several generations of viewers. CBS gave Price the celebration it deserves.

Offline GRWHAMMY the 2nd

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2021, 02:10:40 PM »
to be totally honest, i did not think Vanna would actually show up

Offline Thatgameshowguy

• 2/1/2023: Superfan!
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • my trailer is all flat and paper-y
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2021, 02:59:40 PM »
Is it just me or is it that every time the Yolanda clip airs the censor bar gets smaller and smaller? Almost makes me think there’s an unedited version sitting in Fremantle’s archive somewhere. Just an observation. Seeing clips from the early Drew era in HD was great, especially from the Drewcases with Rich. Always love seeing classic clips and this show did not disappoint! I think they did really good balancing the show while having almost 3x the runtime of a daytime show (1:24:50) and there didn’t really seem to be anything that felt like padding. There were some clips they dug up that I don’t think got as much airtime as they deserved, for example the clip they used of Bob introducing the Clock Game was a rather memorable playing, but it was only a two hour long show to be fair. Clever editing around the 1st episode and the fur coat. Overall a fun show and I really hope they share some of these clips in full online.
YES! You have them all right! You win $2,500! You will putt from the closest line!

Jhc2010 putts from the closest line and WINS!!!

Congratulations! Those 2 cars are yours! Now we go to the Showcase Showdown! You will spin first. Pick a number between 1 and 20.

Online Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2021, 04:17:19 PM »
TPIR has been what is called "critic-proof" from the get-go. Critics thought the original was the end of civilization as we know it yet it became the top game, day and night, and stayed on for nine years. Likewise when it returned in 1972, they all had WTF thoughts (Ken Tucker of Entertainment Weekly called it "a vulgar orgy of crass consumerism"). Yet it still stands. The cast and crew are crying all the way to the bank. The masses have all learned to turn the other cheek and TPIR cemented its legacy as a TV institution. No other light entertainment show can make such a claim.
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2021, 05:31:39 PM »
... You guys do know the first sentence I said was a compliment for this show, right?

What it was was damning with faint praise.

Honestly, I don't understand why you watch the show, either.  No, you're not breaking any rules, but that makes me wonder more about the rules than anything else.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2021, 08:09:56 PM »
Is it just me or is it that every time the Yolanda clip airs the censor bar gets smaller and smaller? Almost makes me think there’s an unedited version sitting in Fremantle’s archive somewhere.
There may well be, since there's an unedited version (in less-than-stellar picture quality) that's been online since at least 2012 (and possibly earlier; that's when I acquired my copy of it).

Offline RatRace10

« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2021, 10:01:25 PM »
There may well be, since there's an unedited version (in less-than-stellar picture quality) that's been online since at least 2012 (and possibly earlier; that's when I acquired my copy of it).

I remember seeing it uncensored on YouTube in like 2007.

Offline JhayPrice

« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2021, 10:39:17 PM »
As far as what I've seen around YouTube and based off of the above recap, the entire special was a delight!
The pacing was great, and the clips were put together very well. The tribute to Bob's legacy within Price was the one that got me to be honest.

Vanna's appearance was indeed a surprise and having been mentioned and featured on previous specials, I'd think it's great to have her really show up. Price missed the chance of playing One Away with her though.  ;-)

As for the prizes, I felt that it was a little less. They could've done the show ala MDS with more $4000+ prizes for OBs, and both the showcases valued $60,000+. They should've saved the best for this instead of the premiere week.

Finally, all of the montage of the original cast was perfect, and even with all the issues that surrounded the show, Price would never be Price without Jan, Holly, Dian, Johnny, Rod, and Rich. I've wished that they've mentioned other people associated with the show such as Anitra, Kathleen, Roger or Fingers, or even Bill and the NT hosts.

A spectacular special indeed, here's to 50 more for Price!

Offline ntpir

« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2021, 10:45:37 PM »
I've stated here many times that I do not like Drew and haven't watched the show for years.

However, I did watch this episode. I have to say that I did enjoy it. While I'm still not a fan of Drew at all, when he began the Bob Barker tribute segment with his 15 year acknowledgement, I did have pause in the fact that is has been 15 years since Bob retired...and it's been Drew that has kept the show running to get it to 50 years. I do appreciate that fact and thank him for his continued dedication to the show. I enjoyed much of the show aside from a couple of contestants, in my opinion only, going over the top with reactions. But the games, the clips, the prizes, Susan's shirt(!), and the sense of family on the show with the cast.

Congrats Drew and The Price is Right for 50 years. Maybe you'll turn me back to a loyal friend and true.

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2021, 11:05:56 PM »
What it was was damning with faint praise.

Honestly, I don't understand why you watch the show, either.  No, you're not breaking any rules, but that makes me wonder more about the rules than anything else.

Can I just ask, this is a special episode, I really would prefer we don't get into a sparring match, and I warned this yesterday, over people's opinion's on the show and their tone about it.
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]