Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 9/30/2021 (TPiR 50th Anniversary Primetime Special)  (Read 16216 times)

Offline plinkoboard

• In Contestant's Row
Re: TPiR Recap - 9/30/2021 (TPiR 50th Anniversary Primetime Special)
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2021, 02:06:42 AM »
Absolutely great show!  Great to see all those flashback clips and all those prizes won.  Even though only 4 pricing games were won everybody still had good winnings as Michael won a lot of money on Plinko and John at least won 2 prizes on Golden Road.  Lucky for Susan they kept Hole in One or Two that way rather than change to its original format(although it didn't debut until 5/9/77).  That would've been a big shame if it was done that way, especially since she got to put from the 5th line.

Offline tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2021, 07:55:03 AM »
That blooper segment must have been the reason they aired from 9-11 instead of from 8-10.

Glad to see Janice/Holly/Dian all get featured, especially with all the whispers of blacklisting over the years.  Was Kathleen in any of the clips?

RE: Showcases.  It appears the current group has slightly de-emphasized the showcase round with prizes and put more of that budget into the theme weeks.  It kind of make the end fall flat a bit, and it does show on the night shows.
They can be close at the top, too.
#42SP

Offline ntpir

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2021, 10:01:05 AM »
So with the wrong date given for the debut of the first Big Wheel, did something ELSE happen on that date (June 1981) that was clipworthy but they decide to change it to the Big Wheel but forgot to switch out the date?

Offline Torgo

• TPiR Alumnus
  • Essential to the Experience
    • Torgo Entertainment
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2021, 10:25:04 AM »
So with the wrong date given for the debut of the first Big Wheel, did something ELSE happen on that date (June 1981) that was clipworthy but they decide to change it to the Big Wheel but forgot to switch out the date?
It was a Saturday, so I find that unlikely.
Torgo has left the building. John and I never really cared for the way he presented himself.

Offline sideshowPA

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2021, 01:53:00 PM »
RE: Showcases.  It appears the current group has slightly de-emphasized the showcase round with prizes and put more of that budget into the theme weeks.  It kind of make the end fall flat a bit, and it does show on the night shows.

I'm pretty confident (but not 100% sure) that the budget for this nighttime episode is independent of the budget for the daytime show.

I do appreciate the 3 rooms of furniture prize. That's a nice wink to the legacy of the show. Would have been more awesome if they played Splendido there, but it was an appropriate prize for to celebrate TPIR.

EDITED by Steve -- I'm pretty sure this is what you meant to do instead of making two posts, Sideshow.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2021, 09:54:43 PM by SteveGavazzi »
"I don't want to hear disorganized beeping." - Bob Barker

Offline tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2021, 05:20:42 PM »
I'm pretty confident (but not 100% sure) that the budget for this nighttime episode is independent of the budget for the daytime show.
They are, but it's kind of difficult to budget bigger showcases when you are basically forced to potentially (HA) pay out $150K more in a luck-based game than previous nighttime shows.
They can be close at the top, too.
#42SP

Offline ntpir

« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2021, 07:13:05 PM »
Thank you, Torgo for letting me know about the Saturday date.   :-)

Offline TPIRighteous

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2021, 12:03:53 AM »
I don't have much else to add, but I wanted to point out one thing I noticed.

When the show started, and the first prize was about to be shown, Drew said, "Let's see the first p—ITEM up for bids..." He's always said "prize up for bids", but it felt like he made a point to use the term that Bob did. I also noticed he said "Plinko chip" and not "disc". (Maybe he's changed that recently.) It almost felt like he watched some old Bob episodes to prepare for this.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2021, 05:59:30 PM »
I also noticed he said "Plinko chip" and not "disc". (Maybe he's changed that recently.)

When has Drew ever called a Plinko chip a disc? :confused:
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline BillyGr

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2021, 07:42:11 PM »
They are, but it's kind of difficult to budget bigger showcases when you are basically forced to potentially (HA) pay out $150K more in a luck-based game than previous nighttime shows.

Though, with that being the first game couldn't they have some items for the showcase and change them after the game (that is, have more costly options and leave them out, using cheaper items, if they wound up giving away a larger amount in Plinko)?

It wouldn't impact anything else (just like changing games has been done last minute when something fails to work correctly).

Offline AussieEvil

• Not Hurt By Pain™
« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2021, 10:25:36 PM »
You'd think for a show like this they'd use a black floor. Why did they stop?
"Fans are clingy complaining dipshits who will never ever be grateful for any concession you make. The moment you shut out their shrill, tremulous voices the happier you will be for it."

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2021, 10:38:18 PM »
Wasn't the season 36 Million Dollar Spectaculars the only time they used a black floor?

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2021, 06:21:21 PM »
You'd think for a show like this they'd use a black floor. Why did they stop?

I wouldn’t think that at all.

Offline PimpinJC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2021, 07:22:38 PM »
Well done show.  Drew definitely went out of his way to call out items like “Item Up for Bids”, but what I thought was the best was that he took time to tell the audience the Big Wheel round was the “Showcase Showdown”.  Definitely was a good blend of hitting the high notes for religious watchers (like here on the site) and first-timers.

Hole in One came out of nowhere.  That was very cool to see it in prime time.  And Grocery Game for 3 rooms!  Definitely felt like classic Price is Right in terms of production values.

Never noticed how much Bob has aged since retiring until they showed all 3 appearances back-to-back.  Can definitely see why he wasn’t there tonight.

Didn’t notice it when premiere week aired, but I’m really surprised they never upped the double dollar wheel bonus to $50,000.

Is this the very first time the current regime has acknowledged Rod and aired his voice?  Ever since Drew took over, they seemed to edit out Rod’s voice with Rich’s / George’s.  And very nice that they actually showed Rich.
All Hail Sinfonia!

Offline PunchABunchFan

• Outside in Line
« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2021, 10:21:58 AM »
Here's another "nitpick", though - why was the copy for the BMW just "a new car"? That's a luxury SUV right there!

Because the preceding line of copy was something like, "here are the three most-desired words to hear by a Price is Right contestant," and even though it was an SUV, I think most people would agree that "a NEW CAR!" is most associated with TPiR.