Author Topic: 2021 MLB Playoffs  (Read 14026 times)

Offline UltraPrice

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: 2021 MLB Playoffs
« Reply #75 on: October 24, 2021, 12:42:04 AM »
For the first time in 22 years , the Braves will be in the World Series.  The 2000 Yankees will remain MLB's last repeat World Series Championship team.

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
« Reply #76 on: October 24, 2021, 03:37:29 AM »
Gee, could there be something to that video game simulation?? Probably not since it had Atlanta winning the NLCS over San Francisco and the WS over Boston. Should be an interesting series coming up.

Listening to the KNX stream and the Dodger faithful kvetching. ("They ran out of pitchers," "All that money and yadda yadda"). Dodgers manager Dave Roberts was more genteel, saying Atlanta simply outplayed his team.
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #77 on: October 24, 2021, 12:27:25 PM »
The Astros are posted as 10:1 to win the Series. The money line opened at -150 but has since dropped to -145.
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline EaglesWings4500

• In the Audience
« Reply #78 on: October 24, 2021, 08:53:19 PM »
I hope the Braves win it all!!!!!   :)

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #79 on: October 24, 2021, 11:56:24 PM »
I think a lot of people are hoping Atlanta wins.  Though there are some that want to see Houston win so that Dusty Baker can finally get his.  Still amazing to win a pennant in both leagues.  Several people still will pull for Atlanta, but out of the last four teams, they were probably the "least polarizing"
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #80 on: October 25, 2021, 08:14:55 PM »
I may not care too much for the Astros, but I wouldn't wish Ron "I can do anything I want!" Kulpa on them. A pretty low blow letting him work this World Series.

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #81 on: October 26, 2021, 03:08:20 AM »
Of note, the current collective bargaining agreement ends at midnight December 1. So unless some wheeling and dealing is done, there will be a work stoppage in MLB starting December 2.

On the Series front, Astros P Lance McCullers is doubtful, having suffered a strain in the divisional series.
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline Richie

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #82 on: October 26, 2021, 03:15:06 AM »
There is a very tough lesson for both the San Francisco Giants AND the Los Angeles Dodgers to learn from this postseason:

107 wins for the Giants and 106 for the Dodgers were fantastic in the regular season.   It means diddly squat for the postseason.   Interesting that those teams got knocked out before the World Series.   

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #83 on: October 26, 2021, 09:21:46 AM »
There is a very tough lesson for both the San Francisco Giants AND the Los Angeles Dodgers to learn from this postseason:

107 wins for the Giants and 106 for the Dodgers were fantastic in the regular season.   It means diddly squat for the postseason.   Interesting that those teams got knocked out before the World Series.   

I think I may have to disagree with this here.  I don't think there's anything San Francisco and Los Angeles have to learn from this postseason (that they didn't already know).  Especially the latter (at least prior to last year).  At the end of the day, it's just lousy luck in a league full of professionals.  Atlanta didn't win as much, but they didn't need to.  As long as they got in, anything could happen.

That's just my opinion.  I don't think it's a big deal.  For what it's worth, the Dodgers and Giants are two of only 9 teams out of 30 that have won the title in the past 12 years.  Both played each other early due to the structure of the playoffs; someone wasn't going to survive to the NLCS.  SF may have survived against Atlanta had they not blown their lead against a banged up Dodgers team.

I do agree that 100+ wins is meaningless and/or overrated if you don't win the title or at least get to the World Series.  I just think that no one would be surprised if they fall short.  Nothing's guaranteed.  The 2015 NL side of the postseason was the most brutal with the Top three teams in terms of wins coming from the same division (and this was when the All Star Game rule was still active & the AL winning that year's game)

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #84 on: October 26, 2021, 02:59:33 PM »
The 100+ regular season wins being meaningless in the postseason is so true. Atlanta won 106 games in 1998 and got swept by San Diego in the NLCS. They won 103 in 1999 and made the WS, only the Yankees...well, less said, the better. Charlie Morton faces Framber Valdez in game 1 tonight.
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline DRPrice

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #85 on: October 26, 2021, 06:44:17 PM »
     And don't forget the 1987 Twins and 2006 Cardinals.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #86 on: October 26, 2021, 07:53:55 PM »
Atlanta FTW.  Probably more of an emotional hedge.  There are things to like about both teams and things to dislike about both teams.  Atlanta has the pitching, the defense.  Houston has a ton of offense.  Defensively, not that great, but Atlanta's offense can do just enough to win the whole thing if the Astros can't pitch.

Somewhat surprising that Morton is pitching tonight, but mainly because it would affect his ability to be available in a possible Game 7 (where he's basically undefeated)

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #87 on: October 27, 2021, 12:17:30 AM »
The Braves lose Charlie Morton to injury, but they win Game 1 6-2.

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #88 on: October 27, 2021, 03:18:52 AM »
Jorge Soler is the first player to hit a homer in his first World Series appearance. The Astros are 0-4 in game 1 WS appearances.
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #89 on: October 27, 2021, 07:59:05 AM »
Jorge Soler is the first player to hit a homer in his first World Series appearance. The Astros are 0-4 in game 1 WS appearances.

In addition to that, with Jorge Soler's homerun, it is the first time in Fall Classic history where the series started off with a home run.  Now there have been leadoff homeruns in the World Series over the past century & then some.  However, those were done between Games 2-7.  There may have been one by the home team in Game 1 in the past.  This is the first time after 117 years or seasons where the very first batter opened the World Series with a HR; the very first batter being a member of the visiting team in Game One