Author Topic: Now That Buzzr Aired the Finale of The Match Game-Hollywood Squares Hour...  (Read 1706 times)

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
Earlier tonight, Buzzr aired the 191st and final episode of The Match Game-Hollywood Squares Hour. I've seen nearly all the episodes Buzzr has aired, plus a few that have not aired but are on YouTube, and I want to share my thoughts on the show, given the reputation it has had over the decades since it left the air in 1984.

In my opinion, it's not the trainwreck that some game show fans have called it over the years. Is it flawed? Yes, especially in the Hollywood Squares portion. The lack of an "earn it yourself" win rule and the fact that as the round values escalated, the squares were worth a flat $25 made games lopsided in favor one player at times. And the Squares portion seemed like an afterthought tacked onto Match Game.

For all the antics of some of the celebrities, the producers tried to make the show work with what they had, and there were some fun moments. The ones that stick out in my mind were when the backlighting malfunctioned behind Bill Cullen in January 1984, and everyone crossed their arms (for an X) or arced their arms around their heads (for an O), and when a team of cheerleaders went onstage to fill time after Match Game ended in a 6-6 tie after Round 2 months later.

As for the hosts, Gene went from lost to cranky to finding his groove again. It's a shame this was the last time he hosted Match Game. If the planned revivals later in the 1980s took off, maybe he would have gotten back into his rhythm and he would have done a great job. As for Jon Bauman, he had the potential to be a good host; I thought he interacted very well with the contestants. But he had a hard time keeping the celebrities in check during Hollywood Squares. Maybe he's better suited on a format that's more contestant-centric.

It's been quite a ride over the past 2½ years on Buzzr, and I'm glad that they aired this show after decades of fans having to deal with circulating tapes or the occasional YouTube upload.

So, if you've been following the show since the first reruns aired on Buzzr in February 2019, or even long before. What are your thoughts on the show? Have they changed given that nearly the entire series has aired, or has your opinion of it improved or worsened?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 11:40:22 PM by goldroadfanatic »
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
Overall I enjoyed it.  It was pretty much pimped as "Two of your favorites classics come together as one".  It was a nice treat back in the 80s, and then even when it was scarce with a few clips and even less episodes circulating somewhere in the late 90s to early 2000s, it was a joy.

I'll admit it was overrated.  I said as much elsewhere.  Probably was worth the risk back in the day, but not necessary either.  To be fair, future Match Game revivals have been anything other than successful, whereas future HS revivals were a hit.

MGHSH isn't in my Top Ten, I don't think, but it was far from the worst thing on television.  The structure was a mess; not a fan of being one question away from a possible win only to get buzzed out (Hollywood Squares segment).  If the two were ever to come together, I'm sure Fremantle or whomever would do a much better job as it relates to structure.  The hosts? That would be a toss up
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
Our NBC station aired MG-HS up till January of 1984 then bumped it for Little House on the Prairie repeats. Wasn't awful but wasn't something I'd have set a VCR for.
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline Reloaden

• Taking a Bonus Spin
I thought it was A interesting concept, The show had way too many flaws for it to work. You need two hosts that click and gel well together or one strong host to host the show. In a perfect world Gene and Peter Marshall would of worked well together. I think the later years of Match Game was tired and Gene seemed cranky and bored most of the time.

Hollywood Squares segment should've used the original style questions and bluffs. I thought it was too serious and lacking the fun the original version had. They should've used secret squares and brought the fun atmosphere back. The Match Game segment was a lot better.

Match Game 90 wasn't bad and i wasn't a fan of the 98 version and the 2016 version. They did had good celebrities on the show. I thought Baldwin was a bad host.

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
Our NBC station aired MG-HS up till January of 1984 then bumped it for Little House on the Prairie repeats. Wasn't awful but wasn't something I'd have set a VCR for.

It was never aired on our NBC affiliate. It was bumped for reruns of The Rockford Files. We saw it on our local independent station, WUTV channel 29 at 12 noon weekdays.

I watched it regularly when I was younger. It was an OK time passer for me, nothing more. HATED how the Hollywood Squares part of the show was treated.
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
Yep, that was the future voice of Donatello on the 1987 version of TMNT for finale week.

Overall, the Match Game portions of the show are just as good as they've ever were with Gene hosting. You have to like one of those think cues which basically recycled "Think Cue 3" from the '70s versions. Its too bad that instead of the Star Wheel, they couldn't have come up with the 10-20-30 bonuses. Richard Dawson could have stayed longer. About the lack of zingers in the Hollywood Squares portion, it wasn't as bad as some critics pointed it out to be, even if they were just occasional. Its too bad that the Secret Square bonus  was missing as well. I had a tendency to watch the Match Game portions and then crash in bed when the HS portions started however.

And interestingly, the next time Pluto airs new Barker era TPIR episodes to its channel, it will include the first episodes that recycled the theme song to the show, which first aired in mid-October 1984, the first episodes taped following MGHS' cancellation. It's too bad as I always associated the theme with "A new car!" or the Super Ball! intro cue, not aware that there was a MGHS until I first discovered the shows' awareness when I got the Internet.

The first version of HS I was aware of was the Davidson version. I didn't even know about Match Game at all until GSN after their dark period ended since my local affiliates pre-empted the early '90s version. WJLA aired courtroom shows, and WJZ aired the midday news instead. Speaking of pre-emptions, Baltimore (WMAR at the time) also bumped MGHS on February 13, 1984 for sitcom reruns of What's Happening! and Good Times. It did clear Santa Barbara however... :cry:
« Last Edit: October 28, 2021, 09:32:26 AM by pannoni1 »
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
I had always thought, had the show gone on several more months, such as into 1985, I'd have liked to have seen a few more things, even with the original run.

Maybe a few more special weeks, such as one where stars from the "Brady Bunch" or some other classic show were invited. Or maybe the grand old game players from the 1950s-1960s panel shows (by that, I mean Kitty Carlisle, Arlene Francis, Garry Moore and Betsy Palmer among others) ... on the list could go.

And maybe a special bonus for five-time champions. I don't (without looking) know how many five-time "... Squares" there were, but with NBC not having a winnings limit, I may have gone rather opulent: $25,000 cash, plus maybe two cars (I thought of each car in my pair being worth $13,000-$15,000) and an ocean cruise.

My thoughts only, but it'd be interesting to wonder what might have been had the show been renewed and extended longer than the 192 episodes we got. Anyhow, it was great to see the entire run once again ... and now the cycle starts again.

Brian