Author Topic: April 5, 1982 (#4471D)  (Read 3635 times)

Offline mellongraig

• Double Showcase Winner
April 5, 1982 (#4471D)
« on: October 31, 2021, 09:02:59 PM »

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: April 5, 1982 (#4471D)
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2021, 08:36:27 AM »
Yes, that's Pick-a-Pair that Bob's hinting at during Check-Out. I don't believe that I've ever recall Bob ever hinting at the premiere of a new game that's on a future episode ever besides this occurrence. That's "Let's Groove" by Earth, Wind and Fire on the jukebox.

That certainly was a gimme of a Most Expensive setup there.

I never knew that up until this point that there was just one occurrence where a player got all five prizes correctly on Switcheroo, even if that was on the second attempt.

No spay or neuter plug is present here, but it's known to have been used on 4501D. Nice to see another pre-Pluto episode turn up, and I found it odd to see an ad for Hot Wheels since toy commercials aren't really known to be aired outside of Saturday Morning and/or before & afterschool cartoon blocks.
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline mellongraig

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2021, 12:06:28 PM »
Speaking of Check-Out, the losing horns would now be used for a loss by this playing along with the regular buzzer at the time (the losing horns weren't used in the premiere playing). I don't think it wasn't until 1986 or so in which the foghorn began to be used for losses (and it might have been around the time Grocery Game started using it as well), though not permanent yet.

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2021, 03:00:15 PM »
Hey, I love the Jiffy Pop popcorn commercial. Especially the time-lapse and sound effects added in of the popcorn popping.

I just wonder if we'll see popcorn as a prize in any of the 1977-1978 Concentration episodes that'll soon air on Buzzr? (Remember that the Narz-era shows had at least one, often two consolation-level prizes per game.)

Brian

Offline mellongraig

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2021, 05:38:43 AM »
I do stand corrected, the September 14, 1982 episode has Check-Out use the foghorn for the loss but at that time it wasn't permanent yet.

Seach for Tomorrow was moved to another network so the spay/neuter line may have begun by this point, but the announcement for another show on most CBS stations was well gone by then.

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2021, 07:27:08 AM »
The spiel for the next CBS show on the schedule (Search For Tomorrow at the time) was dropped sometime between 3901D (December 8, 1980) and 3963D (January 21, 1981), so basically between John Lennon's assassination and Ronald Reagan's inauguration. Gambit, Match Game '7x, Secret Storm, and Love of Life were the other shows that got a plug. I'd imagine this was done away with to avoid confusion as certain stations aired their own programming instead of the one that followed, and also when west coast stations would air Young & Restless immediately afterwards compared to those east of the Rockies, which would air a Search For Tomorrow (and later Y&R) for another half hour afterwards.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 07:34:33 AM by pannoni1 »
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2021, 10:48:17 AM »
The spiel for the next CBS show on the schedule (Search For Tomorrow at the time) was dropped sometime between 3901D (December 8, 1980) and 3963D (January 21, 1981), so basically between John Lennon's assassination and Ronald Reagan's inauguration. Gambit, Match Game '7x, Secret Storm, and Love of Life were the other shows that got a plug. I'd imagine this was done away with to avoid confusion as certain stations aired their own programming instead of the one that followed, and also when west coast stations would air Young & Restless immediately afterwards compared to those east of the Rockies, which would air a Search For Tomorrow (and later Y&R) for another half hour afterwards.

I thought there was always the disclaimer "... over most of these CBS stations" that followed the "Stay tuned for (name of show)" or those words plus "... one half-hour from now ... ." To wit: In most markets you're seeing this show, you will see the named show (e.g., "Search For Tomorrow"), but there may be some markets you're seeing this show that you'll see something else (e.g., the local news, another local affairs program, an old syndicated program, etc.).

Brian