Author Topic: Wheel of Fortune Season 39...  (Read 30438 times)

Offline RatRace10

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: Wheel of Fortune Season 39...
« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2021, 06:49:16 PM »
Wheel sure had a heck of week last week, didn't they?

On Monday, people were mad because the bonus puzzle was YOUNG JOCK and some thought it was a misspelled reference to rapper YUNG JOC and the contestant should be invited back.

On Tuesday, the winner paused too long when guessing the bonus round answer and everyone on Twitter was and still is mad at them for ruling it a loss and denying her a car. And she picked What Are You Doing? and wasted her picks on I and G, as everyone else does.

On Wednesday, someone mispronounced the word SOLSTICE as "SOL-I-STICE" and again, people were mad that they ruled it a bad solve.

Sheesh!

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #46 on: December 28, 2021, 09:11:34 PM »
Well, solistice isn’t a word so there’s that

Offline ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2021, 12:07:39 AM »
Well, solistice isn’t a word so there’s that

It's Twitter. People will find anything to complain about.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #48 on: December 29, 2021, 08:43:35 AM »
And clickbait garbage “news” sites will pretend the complaining is a thing.

Offline Richie

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2022, 11:50:30 PM »
Well apparently the first week of 2022 for Wheel of Fortune to put it nicely was relatively uneventful.   Enough said.

Offline Richie

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2022, 01:36:43 AM »
On today's episode, the champion was a bit weary of the choices for today's Bonus Round.   She had to pick between THING/ PERSON/ LIVING THINGS.

Pat asked her what would you have chosen: she said it would have been WHAT ARE YOU DOING and PHRASE.

A little newsflash for the champion today, WHAT ARE YOU DOING has the WORST record in Season 39 Bonus Land.   I would NOT pick that category if offered as a choice.

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2022, 12:55:32 PM »
If Michael Davies' intention was to make Wheel boring again, he's succeeding. It feels as though Harry never left.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2022, 02:02:20 PM »
Understanding that Jeopardy is a straightforward Q&A...er, A&Q.....that has had no appreciable format change I say this: it may be that the Wheel format has just reached its endpoint. They've done gimmicks and tweaks over the year, but there is only so much you can do with the core of the game. (And no, I'm not advocating bringing back shopping.)

A new host might inject something into it, but it's not like Sony has unlimited money to be giving away the house every show. They give away a nice amount as it is on average. But the concept is just showing its age. Not all shows have the same shelf life.

Offline urbanpreppie0004

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2022, 07:30:17 PM »
I honestly think wheel is -slightly- better than it was last season. Its not great, but better.

My question for everyone that's dumping on it...short of a host change...what can they do to make it better?

Offline mechamind

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The Joker's Wild ...and deadly.
    • Buy a Vowel Boards
« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2022, 07:47:55 PM »
The basics of spin, buy a vowel, and solve are good as they are. One Toss-Up is okay to determine who starts (the others are more debatable), and the Bonus Round still has its place on the show.

Obviously, shopping takes too long, but I would find a way to fit another prize on the Wheel, maybe even replace the Gift Tag with a token for a small prize.

The Wheel has too many BANKRUPT spaces. The Million-dollar wedge ought to be placed on another BANKRUPT instead of a cash space.
Telephone Game was retired because it was lame. (And no, we’re not making that up – that really is the official reason.)
________

Fan of The Price is Right since the 1990's, my early childhood...and really happy that summer break was a thing.

Retro recapper for The Price is Right and Wheel of Fortune episodes.

Sticky Keys champion as of October 22, 2023.

Offline Flerbert419

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2022, 08:45:23 PM »
Add a wider range to the spaces on the wheel.

16 of the 24 are between $500 and $700.
"The most famous game on The Price is Right is Plinko..." "Which I don't get, honestly."
~ Drew Carey to Chris Wallace, aired January 26, 2024

Offline ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #56 on: January 14, 2022, 09:13:31 PM »
The Wheel has too many BANKRUPT spaces. The Million-dollar wedge ought to be placed on another BANKRUPT instead of a cash space.

Excluding the million dollar wedge, there are only two Bankrupt spaces on the wheel. If anything, there aren’t enough.

Personally, I would make the third round’s top wedge worth $5,000 instead of a second $3,500. I would also introduce some four-digit wedges (like $1,000, $1,250 or $1,500).

I actually miss the Free Play wedge.

Also — and this is gonna blow some minds here — it’s time to get an LED wheel that can update its values between rounds. The wheel as it is seems outdated.

Offline mechamind

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The Joker's Wild ...and deadly.
    • Buy a Vowel Boards
« Reply #57 on: January 14, 2022, 10:06:12 PM »
Excluding the million dollar wedge, there are only two Bankrupt spaces on the wheel. If anything, there aren’t enough.

One regular space and the Million-Dollar Wedge on top of another space is enough. The current penalty layout has been causing too much trouble as it is, and picking up the Million-Dollar Wedge actually makes it safer to spin, but making this change would appropriately increase the risk.

However, an LED wheel might be the solution if they're not willing to go back to the multi-template system they used before. It does make sense to increase the ordinary values after each round.
Telephone Game was retired because it was lame. (And no, we’re not making that up – that really is the official reason.)
________

Fan of The Price is Right since the 1990's, my early childhood...and really happy that summer break was a thing.

Retro recapper for The Price is Right and Wheel of Fortune episodes.

Sticky Keys champion as of October 22, 2023.

Offline GRWHAMMY the 2nd

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #58 on: January 14, 2022, 10:12:11 PM »
i'm just afraid people will eventually call the LED wheel "rigged", knowing how social media is nowadays

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #59 on: January 14, 2022, 11:29:23 PM »
Those fools will always spout nonsense. The wheel does indeed look terribly, comically outdated.

To their credit, they got rid of that pointless video wall behind the players. But the whoring out of the show continues unabated.