Author Topic: Wheel of Fortune Wild Card  (Read 720 times)

Offline Richie

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Wheel of Fortune Wild Card
« on: November 13, 2021, 11:36:27 AM »
Okay the Wild Card on Wheel of Fortune is popular.   If you were a contestant on Wheel of Fortune and you laid claim on the Wild Card would you:

A) Use the Wild Card on a top dollar amount after calling a right consonant or B) Use the Wild Card for a Fourth Consonant in the Bonus Round (Bonus Land) if you do win the main game without hitting a Bankrupt?

Online imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Wheel of Fortune Wild Card
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2021, 12:39:24 PM »
Wouldnít that depend on the circumstances at the moment?

Online gamesurf

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2021, 03:14:14 PM »
Yeah, it entirely depends on how you and the other players are doing. Iím not going to decide before the game is played.

If Iím down by $15,000 and I land on $3,500, use it, easy. If I donít get to the bonus round that Wild Card is totally worthless to me.

If Iím up by $15,000 and itís the third round and I know the answer to the Prize Puzzle, Iím probably holding onto it.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline BillyGr

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2021, 04:53:54 PM »
Either of those options sounds sensible, though even if you were leading it could be useful to grab extra money (especially if there was one letter that there were several of).

After all, even if you win and go to the bonus round, you could easily pick a 4th letter that isn't in the puzzle and then it becomes just as useless as if you never got to that point at all...

Offline mechamind

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • I fly by regularly!
    • Mechamind Boards
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2021, 07:12:26 PM »
It's not completely useless if you remember your used letters.

It also gives you some extra time to think about what's currently on the board.

Offline geniusinmath

• In Contestant's Row
  • Hi I didn't see you there. I'm Michael.
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2021, 10:14:40 PM »
In my honest opinion before the show if I ever got picked to be on the show. I would flip a coin that I will carry. If it is heads, I would save the Wild Card for the bonus round if I make it that far. However, if it is tails, I would use it on a big amount on the wheel such as either $900, $2,500, $3,500, or $5,000 if it is not the speedup round.

Online imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2021, 07:43:07 AM »
Again though, that doesnít make sense. The realities of the game in the moment should dictate the use, not some random plan.

Offline HQnerd

• Outside in Line
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2021, 10:38:27 AM »
I'd definitely use it after hitting Top Dollar, especially if I knew the puzzle. It's a guaranteed $2,500 to $10k+ as opposed to possible help in the bonus round, and in order for it to help you have to:

1. Not hit a Bankrupt for the rest of the game

2. Win the game, which is significantly harder to do without that extra money

3. Not know the puzzle based on the reulgular 3 consonants and a vowel

4. Have the Wild Card letter be in the puzzle

5. Have that letter make the puzzle clear enough for you to be able to solve the puzzle

While it's cute in theory to keep the Wild Card to the bonus round, it VERY rarely ends up making the difference that allows someone to win it. Taking a near certain $2,500 to $10,000+ over a roughly 2% chance of winning $39,000 to $50,000 is a no brainer, at least from my viewpoint.

Heck, if I knew the puzzle and there was still a multiple on the board, I'd use the Wild Card on any amount before solving, even the $500. That extra $1,000+ still has a greater Expected Value than the chances of the Wild Card winning me the Bonus Round.