Author Topic: guide to One Bid and grocery item prices  (Read 870 times)

Offline the_shrink_is_right

• 4/25/22
  • TPiR Alumnus
guide to One Bid and grocery item prices
« on: November 30, 2021, 03:57:54 AM »
Hello!

I *may or may not* be taking a trip to the Bob Barker Studio at some point in the undefined future, and I have absolutely loved poring over all the stats and game theory available on this site. Truly, I hope that it *may or may not* come in handy at *some point* in the future.

A couple things I can't seem to more easily find:
1) list of prices for One Bid items. I know that the general strategy is to bid $1 more than the highest bidder, particularly if you are the 4th bidder, but in watching old episodes i'm finding myself sometimes a little lost with the general price ranges of certain items. I'd like to have an idea of perhaps when the rest of Contestant's Row is completely off on a particular item or where to start should I be the first bidder.

2) list of prices for general grocery items. Again, watching old episodes, I get the idea of where things lie for the most part price-wise, but sometimes I feel completely off (thought a bottle of vinaigrette would surely be like $8+ in one episode that ended up being $4.99). If not a list of prices then any general guidance would be helpful; knowing supplements and such are usually $8-12, cans of beans/veggies $1-3, a formalized list of things like that.

Thank you in advance!

Online pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: guide to One Bid and grocery item prices
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2021, 07:39:06 AM »
I'll speak with #2, since LiteBulb88 has provided a nice strategy guide for the One Bid round early in the "Ultimate Price Is Right Strategy Guide" thread (post #6, found in the Sticky section of this forum, and it clearly states to bid $1 over the highest bidder if you bid fourth). Many grocery items come in different sizes/quantity, so its important to pay attention to those as George reads the descriptions. That was sometimes the case back in the Barker days back when the descriptions only included the sponsors and not the size/amount, but it seems even more common nowadays. Its part of the reason why you rarely see contestants get to putt past the third line in Hole in One in recent years. The producers like to trick things similar to how they do with car options or extras/accommodations for trips. Now that we're in a time of higher inflation, you may want to consider in some games to adjust your picks accordingly, especially if after a taping break. For example, pick one item less in Grocery Game or Bullseye, and add an extra dime to the price of a product in Check-Out.
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline Torgo

• TPiR Alumnus
  • The leaks Mike Richards SHOULD strive for.
    • Torgo Entertainment
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2021, 10:17:17 AM »
Just come out and say it.

"I want all of you to help me win on the show. Please give me study materials."
Torgo has left the building. John and I never really cared for the way he presented himself.

Offline the_shrink_is_right

• 4/25/22
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2021, 12:15:05 PM »
Just come out and say it.

"I want all of you to help me win on the show. Please give me study materials."

Lol I know how it must look being a 1 (and now 2) post member coming out of nowhere to ask for help.  I can do nothing more but humbly put myself out there ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Pannoni1, thank you for your response, the inflation factor has definitely been weighing on my mind. LiteBulb88’s study guide is *brilliant* and I’ve been inhaling everything contained therein. Naturally, of course, I’d like to be in the 4th position as often as possible to maximize my chances getting on stage. However, if in the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd position, the general advice in the guide appears to be “Know the price”ish, so I was curious if there’s been a compendium collated somewhere with general approaches to prices of items in One Bid, or the prices of every One Bid item themselves.

Online mechamind

• Taking a Bonus Spin
    • Buy a Vowel Boards
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2021, 12:25:40 PM »
Meh, we get used to Torgo's comments after a while. Don't worry too much about it.
It's another Adam who is another recapper for another game show on another site.

Fan of The Price is Right since the 1990's, my early childhood...and really happy that summer break was a thing.