Author Topic: Half Off Hypothetical Rule Change  (Read 1639 times)

Offline sayingsorry

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Half Off Hypothetical Rule Change
« on: December 18, 2021, 03:41:25 PM »
How would you feel if Half Off added a 4th item choice instead of $1000 for a perfect 3/3 and if they got it right they won the 10k instantly.

I personally don't like how you can play a perfect game and still only win $1000 and not the main prize.

Thoughts?

Offline ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: Half Off Hypothetical Rule Change
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2021, 04:08:56 PM »
How would you feel if Half Off added a 4th item choice instead of $1000 for a perfect 3/3 and if they got it right they won the 10k instantly.

I personally don't like how you can play a perfect game and still only win $1000 and not the main prize.

Thoughts?

Meh, thatís just the beauty of the game. Most games are straightforward enough: ďguess the price and winĒ (Double Prices, Clock Game, Grand Game, etc.), but others have elements of luck or skill and knowing prices alone arenít enough to win (like the aforementioned 1/2 Off, Plinko, or probably the most infamous one, Hole in One). While I would be lying if I said that game mechanic didnít annoy me from time to time, I do like the diversity of game rules on the show. The Showcase Showdown has literally NOTHING to do with guessing prices, but itís been on the show for like 46 years.

Offline LiteBulb88

• 4/15/19
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2021, 04:25:08 PM »
On the one hand, this would be more fair to the contestant. On the other hand, on the occasions the contestant got all 4 SPs right, it would completely ruin the best part of the game, which is the reveal at the end. Given that The Price is Right, like almost all TV shows, is in business first and foremost to entertain viewers, I vote to keep 1/2 Off as is.

Offline ThatDonGuy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2021, 04:58:36 PM »

Thoughts?

My first thought was, "No, not for a $10,000 prize," but then, look at all of the games that offer things like trips to Europe now worth over $10,000 that can be won with "perfect play."

There are three games I can think of off the top of my head where you can know all of the prices in advance and not win anything more than some small prices: Secret "X", Plinko, and 3 Strikes.
If you want to include games besides 1/2 Off where the guarantee is $1000 or less, here are a few:
Pass the Buck ($1000, and even then, you may have to want to stop and keep it)
Let 'em Roll ($500)
Punch-A-Bunch (what's the smallest amount now - $250?)
Rat Race (only the smallest prize is guaranteed)
Hole in One...or Two (yes, it's possible to miss from the closest line, although I have not seen anyone miss twice)

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/20
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2021, 05:05:08 PM »
I'm aggressively neutral about it. On the one hand, budget, and trips that are 10k+ are partially sponsored and could be forfeited, unlike cash which is 100% going to be accepted in full. On the other hand, goal of the show is to award smart shopping. I personally am more in the camp of just let tradition be, but if it changed, I wouldn't really care.

Or you can go full on moneygamelover's signature and enforce that every game with an element of luck to either allow a win with perfect pricing, or if impossible, retire the game (except for 3 Strikes).
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

HYO total winnings: probably like $500k + Canadian dollars

Real life winnings: $300 + $800 in gift cards

Offline 123123123

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2021, 09:07:34 PM »
Personally I am all for the excitement of the 50/50. Perfect pricing in every game (except 3 Strikes) should get you something but not necessarily everything, and the $1,000 does a good job of filling the requirement.

Bit of a tangent, but I feel its similar enough to mention here. What are thoughts on allowing contestants to win by making 3 in a row anyway they please in Secret X, with or without the secret x? Requires some risk and makes the game name somewhat misleading, but gives the opportunity to guarantee a win if one believes that most games should have such an option.

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2021, 10:23:02 PM »
50/50 is fine. Stack needs the 4th GP set more than half needs a 4th SP set
Season 41 - Season 43, Season 46 - Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2021, 11:28:34 PM »
^Completely agree on Stack needing a 4th GP set more.

A 50/50 chance at $10,000 is still really good odds if the contestant gets all three SP pairs correct. And $1,000 is a decent consolation prize if they pick the wrong box, it's not like the pre-Drew days where the contestant got nothing if they got all 3 pairs correct then chose the wrong box.

Offline gamesurf

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2021, 12:30:35 AM »
If you don't have the reveal, there's little point in playing Half Off. You're cutting out the most exciting part of the game for the viewers.

On paper, a contestants might lose all four punches in Punch-a-Bunch and ruin the game. In practice, this never happens, because the producers know why people want to watch Punch-a-Bunch, and it isn't the pricing portion. If you add a fourth pair of SPs to Half Off, those who are setting the game up now have to make sure that most contestants are likely to miss at least one pair of SPs, so the reveal doesn't become trivial. Which has the same effect as just keeping three pairs of SPs to begin with.

A 50/50 chance at $10,000 is still really good odds

It's not quite 50:50. It looks like 50:50 on paper, but in practice it isn't. Producers know not every box has an equal chance of being selected. If the producers want Half Off to be won, it will be very likely won.

During Big Money Week a few years ago, Half Off was played for $50,000. The contestant got all three pairs of SPs right. The final two boxes where the $50,000 might have been hid were were Box #5 (which was green, the color of money) or Box #13. The entire audience was screaming at him in unison one number. Guess which box he picked and guess where the $50,000 was?
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline Flerbert419

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2021, 02:23:08 AM »
There are three games I can think of off the top of my head where you can know all of the prices in advance and not win anything more than some small prices: Secret "X", Plinko, and 3 Strikes.

This question with some additional retired games is actually answered in the FAQ.
"Drew is the greatest at the show that Drew does...how do we make Bob's show Drew's show?"
~ Mike Richards, Cover Story: The Price is Right, aired June 17, 2018