Author Topic: OBIT & BIRTHDAY REMEMBRANCE: Betty White (1922-2021)  (Read 10540 times)

Offline bobbingforapples

• Outside in Line
OBIT & BIRTHDAY REMEMBRANCE: Betty White (1922-2021)
« on: December 31, 2021, 02:21:20 PM »
According to TMZ, she passed away this morning at the age of 99.

https://www.tmz.com/2021/12/31/betty-white-dead-dies-golden-girls/

Edited title
- Adam
« Last Edit: January 17, 2022, 04:33:16 AM by Alfonzo »

Offline DylanBe

• In the Audience
Re: Betty White has died
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2021, 02:27:09 PM »
According to TMZ, she passed away this morning at the age of 99.

https://www.tmz.com/2021/12/31/betty-white-dead-dies-golden-girls/
Oh bummer! And I was so hoping she would make it to 100, but I guess she'll be just 17 days short. I don't suppose this is a hoax, is it? That'd be great if it was.

Offline PimpinJC

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: OBIT: Betty White
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2021, 02:37:32 PM »
People is reporting it as well, and it’s being picked up by more news agencies.  Sadly seems to be true.

RIP, Betty.  We almost made it out of 2021 with you.
All Hail Sinfonia!

Offline ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2021, 02:38:24 PM »
I’m aware she was 99, but damn, this one really stings.

Rest In Peace to a game show stalwart and a Hollywood legend. Whether it was “Pyramid” or “The Golden Girls”, or “Password” or “Hot in Cleveland,” she was an asset to any show she appeared on. My sincerest condolences go out to her friends and family. Two weeks before her 100th too.

Online Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2021, 02:40:54 PM »
Wow. Buzzr was going to do a 100th birthday salute to her the weekend of January 15 (all day Saturday of her on Match Game, all day Sunday of her on Password and all day of her Monday on various shows). I wonder how they'll handle it now.
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2021, 02:42:09 PM »
Wow. Buzzr was going to do a 100th birthday salute to her the weekend of January 15 (all day Saturday of her on Match Game, all day Sunday of her on Password and all day of her Monday on various shows). I wonder how they'll handle it now.

I suppose they’ll likely do the same thing, but label it as a tribute instead.

Offline tpirfansince1972

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2021, 03:04:09 PM »
Crazy to realize at the start of this most trying year of 2021, 4 of the 8 regular cast members of "The Mary Tyler Moore" show were still here with us.

And now with Betty's passing, they're all gone.

This news is nothing short of stunning and a real hammer to the heart, especially for me, now in my mid 50s, someone who has seen her and loved her on TV, and game shows especially since about 1970.

I suppose the only comfort I can find or share is her passing seemed very very sudden and unexpected, in spite of her advanced age, so it would seem she did not suffer long.  And I take great comfort in believing that after over 40 years, she and Allen Ludden are reunited.

As every bit as much as Lucille Ball was a national treasure, so too was Betty White.

Rest in peace...

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2021, 03:07:49 PM »
 :-(
She's in a place that none of us know how wonderful it really is, but she certainly leaves a great legacy of work and talent that will continue to live on well after we're all gone. RIP Betty White.
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline Thatgameshowguy

• 2/1/2023: Superfan!
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • my trailer is all flat and paper-y
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2021, 03:10:30 PM »
She's with Allen now. What she wanted. RIP.
YES! You have them all right! You win $2,500! You will putt from the closest line!

Jhc2010 putts from the closest line and WINS!!!

Congratulations! Those 2 cars are yours! Now we go to the Showcase Showdown! You will spin first. Pick a number between 1 and 20.

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2021, 03:33:11 PM »
It's a crazy reminder that the episode of Saturday Night Live was 11 years, 7 months and 23 days ago, after the campaign to get her on after the Snickers commercial. That episode garnered SNL 14.952 million viewers. It is a reminder that how much Betty White became a national treasure as she got older. Most of us grew up with Betty White doing something in our lives, whether it be acting in sitcoms (Mary Tyler Moore Show, the Carol Burnett Show, The Golden Girls, Hot in Cleveland), making appearances in soaps (3 years on The Bold & the Beautiful), hosting a comedic show (Betty White's Off Their Rockers) and game show (Just Men), or for this site, the majority of the time, as a regular celebrity guest on numerous game shows (Password, Password Plus, Super Password, Tattletales, Hollywood Squares, Pyramid, Match Game, To Tell the Truth, What's My Line, You Don't Say!). Everyone knew her impact in some generation (if you use 19 years as a generation, which is the general definition).

Betty White, from the beginning, exuded utter class, a fast wit and a dedication to her craft. For 80 years (1939 was her first appearance on a television to her last in 2019), she was a face that everyone knew stood for incredible grace. She was always humble to her success and never acted like she was the next big thing. She got along with every person, from the celebrities she hung out with, to US presidents, to the nervous civilian making an appearance on a game show. She had such a calming presence. You don't see a lot of that in television now, and even then either.

The biggest loss that we don't see every day with the passing of Betty White is her dedication to animals, much like Bob Barker has. The amount of money and time she gave to the saving of animals. In a cruel twist, like Bob Barker, 2021 marked 40 years since the passing of her hubby, the great Allen Ludden.

Betty White's legacy will remain as one of grace, humbleness, presence and absolute joy. Her skills are unmatched in being able to do so many different things in front of the camera (acting, hosting, guesting, comedy). We will never see a person like her again, and for that, the world has suffered a great loss. However, I don't think she'd ever want us to be sad. We should take joy in her life and she'd want us to be happy we experienced her effort the last 80 years. Hopefully she has the chicken in case Allen Ludden is on fire wherever he is. :)

Rest in peace to a legend to who I consider America's grandmother, Betty Marion White Ludden (1922-2021).
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline EaglesWings4500

• In the Audience
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2021, 03:54:46 PM »
If I was on a game show, I wanted her to be my celebrity partner.  She knew how to play the games and help players win lots of money and prizes..

I bet she is playing Pass Word with her husband Allen in Heaven..

If I am not mistaken, her last appearance on a game show was To Tell The Truth with Anthony Anderson in 2016.

She will be missed

Offline AvsFan

• In the Audience
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2021, 03:59:40 PM »
I was just watching a Betty episode of Password Plus when I heard the news. :(  It's always sad to see an icon pass away, but it's hard to imagine someone living a longer, fuller, and more inspirational life than Betty did. She touched so many, and that is sure to continue.

Offline Superballer

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2021, 04:34:01 PM »
Like most on here, I'd've liked to have seen her officially reach 100, but this will not negate what was for all of us a lifetime of delights watching her on the shows he loved.  So from all of us, Betty, thank you for being a friend for so many decades. 

Online Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2021, 05:59:27 PM »
An ep with Betty I recall and wish it existed: she was on You Don't Say! around 1967, and it was her turn to give a clue to her partner. Tom Kennedy stopped her just before she could deliver the clue so they could go to a commercial. Betty froze in position at that point, and when they returned, she was still in her frozen position from before the commercial. Pure Betty.
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2021, 06:23:13 PM »
A true shock.

Not much else I can add that’s already been said. Except, in the words of Andrew Gold, “Thank You For Being a Friend.”

Brian